Hunting dogs as pets

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Hunting dogs as pets

Postby votesippel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:53 am

Hi, I am on the school board where I live and we just hired a new superientendent. He loves to hunt pheasant and is looking for a new bird dog. I know many ABR rescues turn out to be great hunters, so I thought I would turn him on to the website. Before I did I asked if this would be and indoor or outdoor dog. He instantly said outdoor and "you can't make them pets". Well my experince with Britts is that they make great pets and continue to be very birdie (I don't hunt so mine have never been tried). Can anyone confirm or dispute what I think so I can pass it on to him? Thanks Laurie
votesippel
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:38 pm

:lol: :lol:

You'd probably get a wider range of thoughts on that from a hunting forum than you will probably get here. Personally, if that is true, then likewise the hunter should not be allowed in the house either, for that will make the hunter lose his edge too.

If he would get an ABR rescue, being an outdoor dog wouldn't cut it for the adoption process....for the most part...there's always the exception. My Britts will get up from the bed and be ready to go hunting any day, everyday. For God's sake, it's a bird, not the Holy Grail. Maybe if there was one last bird in the world, the need to have the dog entirely focused for that one chance meeting, there may be some truth in it.

Brittanys are very social dogs, so they'd be the worst of the hunting breeds for someone with that view. I do know people with Beagles and other hounds that they keep outdoors for that reason. Not someone I would ever consider selling one of our pups to. That's really an old school thought on that topic IMHO. Some diehard field trialers may live by that philosophy, but a rescue dog isn't going to be a field trial dog, since they're spayed/neutered.

This is just my personal opinion. If I miss a bird hunting, I don't lose sleep over it. And when I miss a bird, it's usually my fault, not my indoor dogs' faults.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Barb Wright » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:44 pm

If it seems he is locked in on that old-timer kind of thinking then he best get some other breed of hunter. The sad part of that is that there are very few breeds of dogs that, given a choice, would live separate from their human pack :cry: Anyway, if he is not open to considering the dog a companion that he hunts AND lives with, I'd send him somewhere else than rescue. JMLTHO
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:48 pm

Laurie ,
This is one of the most stubborn "Wive's tale " I know of . A colllege educated person believing the Good Old boys version of a Bird dog :roll: :roll: :lol: .

I don't field Levi , but have this person come out to Mt. and I'll take him Bird hunting with my boy and two former fosters that sleep in the house , set in our easy chairs etc .

I don't know if KarenP or Helen are lurking. They both have or had champion dogs , in the field and show . Karen's are are their way . Anyway they keep their dogs as pets indoors . My good friend / Trainer here in Mt. has a Dual Champion / State champion Brittany that sleeps curled up with him on his bed .

I'll quit now ( getting off soapbox ) 8) :wink: Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Beth » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:17 pm

My Dad had my Britt professionally trained to hunt. My Dad swears that the dogs that are pets are better hunters. He says they are in better shape, are more intune to their owners, tend to be more responsive quicker since they aren't just out of their kennels, and he thinks they junt harder. My Dad can't hit the side of a barn but if he does happen to knick something, Beau will chase down anything. Our family joke is still Dad 0 birds. Beau 5. But they have fun and we joke about joint custody. So, in our family, the family dog is the better hunter!
Beth
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:51 pm

Perhaps you should suggest he start reading this discussion board - maybe he'd change his mind about getting a Britt OR making it an outside dog. I can't even imagine how unhappy that dog would be!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby AuntieMom » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:53 pm

My husband is with exactly in step with Beth's dad. DH says you cannot spoil your hunting dog enough. Your superintendant is old school - let's hope he is open to learning ...
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby votesippel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:05 pm

I will probably just forget about turning him on to ABR, other than to give him the website. His philosophy on education seems to be evidence based, best practice, but here in Missouri the Good Old Boy way of doing things seems to be the norm when it comes to animals.

Maybe when I get to know him better, I will try to challenge his logic to see the pet/hunter viewpoint. Thanks to everyone, maybe someone has a picture of a dog with pheasant or quail that is a rescue. I know I have seen some in the newsletter, just have to see if I didn't pass that one on to someone. Laurie
votesippel
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:28 pm

[img][img]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/9193/mvc021suk9.th.jpg[/img][/img]

Here are Sheamus and Hammer with their owner Joe . Both hunting Brittanys and probably two of the best I've seen . Both are ABR rescues and my former fosters . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Brenda Dom » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:02 pm

Dave wrote:Here are Sheamus and Hammer with their owner Joe . Both hunting Brittanys and probably two of the best I've seen . Both are ABR rescues and my former fosters . 8) Dave

I love when you post this pic. Poor Joe needs a bigger lap. :lol: :lol:

Brenda
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle
Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:32 am

I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend any dog to this guy until he is willing to adapt to new training techniques.
Jack has slept either one, under or next to my bed since I had brought him home at eight weeks and he has grown into a fantastic hunter imho anyway.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Old School

Postby tailfeathers » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:37 am

Your new associate needs to learn something valuable here. He will be asking a companion to work with him in the field. What do you expect from an animal that spends limited time with the person whom he will be working for in the field to do once off leash? Once a dog gets a snoot full of scent it will be sianara as there will be a limited amount of bonding that would have taken place throughout the "off season". Take it from those of us that have had Britts for many years and have not only hunted behind them ourselves, but I for one have very high net worth people with high expectations hunting behind mine. Bring em' indoors where they belong and bond first, then go hunting as a team!
tailfeathers
Puppy

Return to Hunting/Field Trials