Going Bird Hunting

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Going Bird Hunting

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:19 pm

I spent today with Hooch at a training kennel where he's getting some professional training and me too . I know how to use/ work an already trained dog , but am a dedicated Bowhunter .

I leaned some terminology and helped work Hooch . He had a switch turned on and I will probably work to finish him and train Levi also . I was invited to hunt with Eric tommorow over two field champion dogs Huckleberry and Jammer . These dogs have me in awe . I have to borrow a shotgun as I only own rifles and bows . :roll:

I owned a rescued Hunting dog "Amber" and hunted with her till she couldn't anymore . When she retired from Bird hunting so did I . I took up being a State coordinator for ABR . If I get the fever , I might even field trial .

Oh well it's fun to dream . I get to see poetry in motion . Let's hope I can shoot staight . I'll take pictures . :P Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Sounds like you have some challenges and fun in your future! Enjoy!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:33 pm

Sounds like you have some fun times set up for you both. How's the bowhunting going this year :?: We still have two weeks to go before it starts here.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:07 pm

The bowhunting has been awsome :) . I haven't drawn my bow yet , but had 15 deer feeding around me tonight before dark .

There was 6 bucks and 4 were shooters . They were over 100 yards most of the time though . The Rancher was hauling and stacking hay. He kept driving by with his hay wagon . The last time two of the biggest bucks decided to trot right at me :shock: . I stood up and waited ready to draw . I hoped they would get right out in front of me , stop to look at him then I would drill one . Nope they trotted right under my stand not 10 feet away from the base of the tree I was in :? . Darn it was exciting :P .

Now I'm going to hide out where I've watched them jump the fence to enter the field . Then they will come out by my stand :roll: :lol: . I'm having fun . :P Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:19 am

Sounds like a lot of fun. Are you hunting whitetails or muleys?
In about five weeks I heading to CO. for mule deer and maybe elk depending if they are anywhere near the ranch I'll be at. I can't wait.

My bow has gotten dusty since I got back into hunting dogs ten years ago, too bad the seasons are concurrent and not nearly long enough.

Good luck and yes we will need to see some pictures 8) .

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Hunting/Field Trials