My shotgun skills suck

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

My shotgun skills suck

Postby Dave » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:00 pm

I went Bird hunting today and had the opportunity to hunt over the top 100 Rocky Mountain regional champion pointing dog . His name is "Huckleberry ". We also used Claire who is just two and a Dynamo . These dogs are waay over my abilities , but they made me look good . I just can't shoot straight :roll: :lol: .

He pointed and held a covey of Huns , was steady to shot and was off to retrieve for me , but nothing fell :? :lol: . He turned to look at me and scowl . Ever been scolded by a bird dog for not shooting well . I sure felt sheepish . He just paused a second then put his nose down and was off . Five minutes later he pinned a lone bird for me and I did it again almost . I pulled up drew a ferfect beed and squeezed the trigger , nothing happened :roll: . I had the safety on :roll: :roll: . He looked at me again shaking his head :P :lol:

I sure had fun . The birds won today , I walked about ten miles over hill and dale . We worked two dogs in the morning then loaded them up for a quick afternoon jaunt with two fresh dogs . I hunted with Jammer an 8 month old pup , and his father "Newt", who is six . "Newt" is a big title holder in the field also . At the end of the day as we watered and loaded everyone up I sat there and got Brittany kisses .

They all forgave my poor shooting . Claire hopped into the truck cab to bum me for scraps from my PPJ sandwhich :P Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:14 pm

:lol: :lol: Don't feel bad, Dave. My first year I was horrible. Last year, I decided to go dove hunting in September so I'd be ready for pheasant the end of October. Let's see....at the end of September, my dove total was one. :oops: :P I was hunting a gameland that didn't have many doves.

But when pheasant came in season, trying to hit those fast doves made the pheasants seem easy. Of course the one time I got together with Tim, the dogs pointed a pheasant, it flushed right in front of me. Bang :!: Missed it. :roll: Tim was kind enough to take it. Funniest part was when he said that he wasn't sure if I got it or he did. :lol: I appreciated the muligan he offered me, but I had to admit that was all him. :lol: :lol: My excuse is that it was so close, I was just trying to get a part of my shot stream to catch it, so it wouldn't be obliterated. So the problem was my choke pattern.....not me. :P :wink:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:12 pm

:lol: :lol: I know what a dog scowling is. 8) Looks like you had a lot of fun. But just because you missed everything within bead sight doesn't give you a pass on posting pictures :P :) .

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:55 pm

But just because you missed everything within bead sight doesn't give you a pass on posting pictures . :P :)

I was so excited , I left my camera in my truck when I hopped in with them . :roll:

We are going out in a couple of weeks north of Roundup , Mt. for Sharp Tails . I might do better with them as they aren't quite as quick as Huns .

I was proud of myself for not drawing down on a Rooster Pheasant . It isn't open for Pheasant till Oct. 16 . I had a good shot at him though . I was hunting with Newt that time and he also gave the Brittany version of shaking his head at me . :lol: What great dogs . I'm more excited about hunting with them than heading elk hunting tomorrow . :P Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Hunting/Field Trials