Mountain Lions

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Mountain Lions

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:08 pm

I've been Bowhunting alot lately .
On the way out last night another bowhunter was frantically waving us over on a mountain road . I mean he was almost delirious , panting from having run for all he was worth out of the woods . He kept asking if we had a gun babbling about a mountain lion trying to get him in the first sentences . Of course we pulled out our hand cannons and jumped out .

As we got him calmed he proceeded to tell us a Mtn. Lion was stalking him and he had launched two arrows at him in self defense . The first he just pulled his bow back using his fingers and didn't really aim . The cat was like 25 feet away crouched and staring him down .

The cat then jumped and circled back behind him as he had missed . It was about 15 yards this time and the fellow had put on his release and was able to take aim this time . He doesn't know if he hit it because of high grass etc. It vaulted away again and he ran for his life .

This fellow insisted we saved his life :shock: . I never saw the cat , but totaly believed him . I wasn't too worried until I thought about it and I was less than half a mile calling elk and even hanging out on a hill side almost asleep watching some birds relaxing . I didn't havemy pistol with me just my bow . That Mountain Lion could have been just as easily over stalking me or my hunting partner . My friend was in the next canyon over from me about another mile away .

Anyway he didn't get eaten or injured . I can't run like that anymore as he did , so I'm now taking my 460 S&W magnum with me . We have Cougar and Grizzly bear in Mt. The places I hunt could make me the prey instead of the Hunter :o . Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Helen E. » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:27 am

Wow! :shock: Be careful Dave - the Britts need you! 8)
Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Canned Ice » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:24 am

I spent a summer working for the forest service in Idaho and it was the mountain lions that had me unnerved when we were out surveying some stretches of stream in those lonely canyons. Looking back on it, I don't know what they were thinking sending a few teams of east coast kids out in the backcountry with just a survey rod for defense.
Buckley - I own this mountain.
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 pm

I guess you can't be too careful! Kind of makes my black bear stories pale in comparison!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:28 pm

Lucky guy :!:

If I hunted out there, I wouldn't go anywhere in the woods without a firearm. After I sat next to that mountain lion last year for about an hour, it makes me think twice before I try to sneak out to my treestand without the flashlight on. It's so much nicer when you think that you're the only large predator in the woods. It was thrilling sitting 25 yards from that magnificent creature when it didn't know I was there. As soon as it looked like it saw me, the thrill changed. It was no longer as magnificent as it was a life threatening adversary. Luckily when I went to scare it off, it ran away.

Can't believe you guys out there will go out with just your bow. Sounds like crazy talk to me. Cougars and grizzlies. :shock:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:56 pm

I have a healthy respect for both Grizzly and Mtn. lions . They both will kill you to eat .
The Mtn. lion kills people just for the reason to eat them . I've only seen a few in my lifetime . I'm packing my new 460 S&W now along with my bow . :P Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:41 am

Brian might want to make sure his arrows are extra sharp, a guy was attacked by a reported mountain lion last night a few miles South of me. Actually he attacked the cat first but I guess that doesn't really matter.

Sadsbury neighbors say man attacked by mountain lion
BY JENNIFER TODD, and P.J. REILLY, Intelligencer Journal Staff

State police and game commission officials were searching for a possible mountain lion Thursday night after a Sadsbury Township man was attacked.

After scouring the area east of Route 896 for several hours, police and game commission officers called off the search shortly after 11 p.m. They will return this morning to resume looking for the animal, which they believe is wounded.

Linda Swank, a wildlife conservation officer for the Pennsylvania Game Commission, said she could confirm that there was an animal attack. However, she said she could not confirm that the animal is a mountain lion.

"There are thousands of cougar sightings reported every year in Pennsylvania, and most of them turn out to be foxes, bobcats or dogs," she said.

Neighbors said Samuel Fisher, of 71 Mount Pleasant Road, was attacked near his home shortly before 6 p.m. He was taken to Lancaster General Hospital, where he was still being evaluated late Thursday night, according to a nursing supervisor.

After spotting what neighbors said was a mountain lion in his field around 5:30 p.m., Fisher retrieved his rifle and fired a shot, wounding the animal, which then fled into the woods, one neighbor said.

When Fisher entered the woods to search for the wounded animal, he told the neighbor a mountain lion jumped out of a tree and onto his back.

"He said it felt like 150 pounds hit him," said the neighbor, who did not want to be identified. Fisher told the neighbor he turned around and the animal began clawing at his chest and arms. He retrieved a knife from his pocket and stabbed the large cat, which then ran away, the neighbor said.

Fisher made his way to a neighbor's house, told her he was attacked by a mountain lion, asked her to call 911; then he collapsed, the neighbor said.

Several neighbors found a blood trail and began tracking the animal but lost the trail in a field, a neighbor said.

Neighbors said they have seen mountain lions in the area several times in the last two months, with sightings increasing in the last week. They said the cats are about 8 feet long with 3-foot tails.

One neighbor said Fisher saw three mountain lions near his farm Wednesday night.

On Tuesday night, two of Fisher's neighbors said they were using spotlights and saw the cats in a field on Mount Pleasant Road. When they returned with their guns, the animals were gone, they said.

Wildlife Conservation Officer Dennis Warfel said he and another officer went to the area last week after receiving several calls reporting mountain lion sightings. Officials placed a dead deer in a field to attract any mountain lions that might be in the area, but the effort turned up nothing, Warfel said.

Although there are many reported sightings each year, the game commission maintains that mountain lions do not live in Pennsylvania.

In 2003, there were many reported sightings in Salisbury Township. Attacks on a dog and a goat prompted game commission officials to hold a public meeting to ease residents' concerns.

Although officials eventually ruled that the dog was likely attacked by a wild dog or coyote, they said there did appear to be an increase in credible sightings.

Game commission officials searched the area but never saw the animal and could never confirm its existence.

E-mail: preilly@lnpnews.com, jtodd@lnpnews.com

© 2004-2007 Lancaster Newspapers
PO Box 1328, Lancaster PA 17608, (717) 291-8811
Terms of Service Privacy Policy

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:13 am

Although there are many reported sightings each year, the game commission maintains that mountain lions do not live in Pennsylvania.

That's correct. It is also reported that there are no illegal immigrants living within PA either. :roll: :lol: :lol: What the heck are they thinking :?: That there's some cougar tour bus cruising the country, letting those cats out for touristy stopovers :?:

Still makes me nervous going out to my treestand 4 AM. I've always liked sneaking in with my flashlight off as much as I could. Now I use the darn light. I'd hate to have to invest in chainmail hunting clothes. :roll:

I was talking to a guy over at SGL 181 on my side of The River. He said he's seen coyotes and heard reports that guys have seen bears in there. I was scouting out a new spot yesterday. Came upon a strange pile of scat. Bent over and got a good look at it. All of a sudden, I heard, "Ya get one." I about dropped another pile of scat right next to that one. :P :lol: Some guy was inside a fallen, hollowed out tree trunk 20 yards from me. :lol: :lol: There were no cars in the parking lot I parked in, so I thought I was the only one at that gameland.

Not sure about that scat. Kinda looked like that picture Cindy (I believe it was) posted about bear scat. But I'm not sure what cougar or coyote scat looks like. I'll have to see what I can find out on the internet.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby NancyH » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:22 pm

You don't know what dog poop looks like? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We need to have a talk with your better half if that is true! Ha!

By the way both look the same but the cat covers it.
NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Hunting/Field Trials