Looking for a "started" companion

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Looking for a "started" companion

Postby tailfeathers » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:16 am

I'm new to this board so please allow me to say hi.
I presently live in the northern suburbs of Chicago and own and operate TailFeathers, a premier hunting lodge in South Dakota. Unfortunately I had to put my 13 yr old down that I used sparingly leaving me with 1 working dog. I am presently looking to add a "started" 1-1 1/2 yr old dog to aide my other Britt for next season. The dog I'm seeking will have the following qualities:

House broke as my dogs are friends and companions first
"Started" meaning worked on birds (raised/introduced to wild birds)
quarters, pointing but free to break at flush, intro to retrieving, obedience.
If any of you fine folks know of a dog that would love to be spoiled and hunted please let me know.
Thanks,

joe
tailfeathers
Puppy

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:21 am

Welcome to the board, Joe. And sorry to hear about your ol' hunting buddy.

Not sure how far you're willing to go, but here is a site of one of our friends on the board, whom I haven't seen recently. It looks like Helen's site says she has two pups still available. She is highly-respected and well-connected within the Brittany breeder community, so she may be able to point you in the right direction, if she can't help you presently. Here's her link:

http://www.wildmtnbrittanys.com/

You can also try out:

www.gundogbreeders.com

Happy hunting :!:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Barb Wright » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:43 am

Welcome Joe....happy to have you join us and hope you will share some of your memories of your Britt companion that had to leave you, as always, far too soon :cry:

While you are involved in your search for a new companion you might think "rescue" and visit our "Dogs In Foster Homes" and perhaps find just the right dog :) Sometimes our foster homes are able to verify that a rescue dog is indeed "birdy".....certainly worth your time to cruise through the dogs available.

http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org/i ... id=3&pid=1

Keep us in the loop while you are on your quest....wishing you luck :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Karen_P » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:26 am

Joe, I got your voicemail, and although I don't have anything started that I'm willing to part with at the moment, I did forward your contact information to Lisa Pollock (Diamond Hill Brittanys). She spends summer camp in SD every year and may have something for you.

Also give Jack Berlet a call (www.britthavenkennels.com). My Blaze dog is from him, and he is the calmest Brittany to live with in the house, yet is an excellent hunter/competitor in the field. Jack occasionally has started dogs available.

If you're looking for a first class puppy, Phil Corlew (from SW IL) has a litter on the ground that won't disappoint (DC Havapal's Renegade Billy Boy x FC W Haven Moose and Dixie's Kim). I can PM you his contact information if you want. Just let me know.
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby tailfeathers » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:48 pm

Thank all of you for your suggestions as I am following up on all of them.
tailfeathers
Puppy

Postby Dave » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Welcome to our discussions . :) .

I just adopted out such a dog . I work with Eric Kaelin here in Mt. . He trains hunting Brittanys and occasionaly has a litter . Here is his website www.bigskybrits.com

He worked with my foster and does so when I have a birdy one . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Hunting/Field Trials