Apache's first bird

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Apache's first bird

Postby Jacksbuddy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:06 pm

Ending up three weeks of vacation and I have to say I am not ready to go back to work on Monday :( , although I guess my soul has been cleansed enough I can make it for another year.

After getting back from my trip I spent a few days at the cabin and Apache is proving to have good natural ability. I couldn't be happier with him, although retrieving is a work in progress. Here's a picture of him with his first bird, the other one was an assist from Jack 8) He sat for the picture so no one can laugh at his bushy tail and Scruffy aka Jack didn't want to be in the picture.

Had a great time in CO. Did a lot of hunting in the Craig area. I had my eye on some real nice bucks but the shot opportunity never presented itself, so on the last half hour of the last day I took a little guy.
If it wasn't so much more expensive to live there I would be there in a heartbeat.

Attempt at a slideshow of CO. :lol:
http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l4/tn ... =slideshow
Last edited by Jacksbuddy on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:08 pm

3 weeks vacation???

Now I'm SUPER jealous!!! Great picture!
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:58 pm

Way to go, Apache :!: I guess spending two weeks smelling the birds that my gang got helped out. :wink: I think he's looking over his shoulder, expecting Storm to run over to guard the bird and growl at trespassers. :lol:

I couldn't be happier with him, although retrieving is a work in progress.

:lol: You know how field trialers are. :wink: :P The image of me hunting with my gang consists of the bird fallen in the briars, one of my dogs either playing with it or lying by it, and me crawling through the thorns getting shredded. :? Think I need to get a retriever to tag along with us. :roll: :lol: Wonder how Tracy'd feel about getting a Chesapeake Bay Retriever too :?: :twisted:

He sat for the picture so no one can laugh at his bushy tail and Scruffy aka Jack didn't want to be in the picture

I should've just cut that darn thing and been done with it. :P Jack, Henley, and Apache are welcomed over anytime for a free grooming. :wink: Just not all on the same day. 8)
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:44 pm

I guess today is my day for hunting updates from our pups. Here is the email I got from the guy who got our Montana, now Roxy. He's been working her on pigeons since she was 3 months old and seems to be a great dog for him.

Brian:

Well all of the hard work and effort have paid off tremendous so far. Since October started and th game farm opened we have killed 60 birds over Roxy and Toby. Max (roxy's bro) has been exposed to birds, while he is catching on he just doesnt seem to have the drive that she does. ( I may be partial for some reason). When she hits a point she doesnot bust the bird. She stays steady to flush, then its off to the races. If she out runs the other dogs its her bird. She has been a joy to train and hunt over. I hunt with a fella who is in his 60's and has seen many dogs and he keeps telling me that this is a pup of a life time. Not many dogs are like her at this age, she points, honors and retrives like a machine. I was on a week long trip in PA (Tioga) and we killed 102 birds out of 112. I only hunted her half a day because she is still a pup. Attached are some of the pics from some of our hunting trips. You can post them on the site that you use.

Max is our pup Rebel. He belongs to a friend of Roxy's owner, and they get to play with each other frequently. Here's a link to the pictures he sent along with the email. ImageShack currently hates me and won't let me upload pictures without getting error messages. So it's back to SnapFish.

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare ... _=99720526
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Tracy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:34 pm

As soon as Brian get's me that nice house on that 100 acres...then he can have his retriever :roll: By then he should have mastered the art of retrieving the birds himself :D
Tracy
Muddy Creek Rustic Timber
Tracy
Puppy

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:17 am

Karen_P wrote:3 weeks vacation???

Now I'm SUPER jealous!!! Great picture!

:lol: :lol: Well 25 years with the same company, and thats all I got. I could spend another 25 and that will still be all I get :cry: .

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:18 am

Tracy wrote:As soon as Brian get's me that nice house on that 100 acres...then he can have his retriever :roll: By then he should have mastered the art of retrieving the birds himself :D

Since Brian is getting to be such a great retriever, can I borrow him?

- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:25 am

Jacksbuddy wrote:..Since Brian is getting to be such a great retriever, can I borrow him?

:lol: :lol: Good one Tim :lol: :lol: The visual on that thought is hilarious :P :P

Loved the photo of Apache with his first bird 8) 8) It's so much fun watching all these pups grow up, especially so when they are able to partake in their heritage 8)

More photos please.....looked like a neat get-away vacation for a hunter and his dog 8) :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Tracy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:35 pm

Tim,

We'll have to start planning your 3 weeks for next year. You can borrow Brian then, and I'll be able to enjoy my vacation :D :twisted:
Tracy
Muddy Creek Rustic Timber
Tracy
Puppy

Return to Hunting/Field Trials