ABC Nationals

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Postby DualCH Brits » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:36 pm

Hope Y'all are enjoyin the Holiday. Best Wishes from our homes to yours.... :lol: Don't eat too much !!!

Brian, Ziggy, baby Jade and I have had our feast with the family, cleaned out the horse trailer and refurbished supplies, bathed and clipped the horses and we are a fixin to take off in a bit and drive on up to Booneville, Arkansas for the ABC Nationals. Ziggy is entered in the show ( Dual Champion Sweepstakes and Field Trial Dog classes) on Sat and we are going to ride gallery to watch the final 3 braces of the National Amateur Championship tomorrow morning and the first 6 braces of the National Open Championship on Monday. It has been a dream to make it to Booneville now since 1999 and I'm finally going!!!! :shock:

We will be back next Tues and will fill you guys in on ALL of the details of the trip.

Hopw EVERYONE has a safe and wonderful Thanksgiving.
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:18 pm

Good luck Helen! I'm so jealous! I'm told that Blaze's line matures slowly so it'll probably be 3 years before we get there, but we will be at the summer specialty in PA in July.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DualCH Brits » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:04 pm

What are the lines behind Blaze? And Courage for that matter?

Nationals was a lot of fun. The weather, however did not cooperate much and the grounds were WET, WET, WET. Did get to ride a little on Friday morning but not past that. There was a tornado that touched down in Greenwood Arkansas Friday Night which was smack dab in the middle between the field trial grounds and the show site. It made for a long night in Fort Smith as many of the show folks were awakened to sirens and asked to please proceed to the "basement" for safety reasons. Out at the grounds we were oblivious and slept through torrential rains and wind.

The folks I met were all wonderful!! What fun it was to match internet names and faces together! I met Bob and Jill Yoerin, Deb Lary, Kay from Alaska and so many others!

All in all it was a trip worth taking. I won't be going back again, however, until I have a dog qualified to run......it is always more fun when you have a dog to paly with!! Who knows...mabe baby Jade will turn out to be an All Age dog??

Ziggy had a good time being a show dog once again but is always much happier in the field. He is such a good boy!!
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:56 am

Blaze is a Britt Haven pup out of Chilcote's Texas Ranger. His pedigree can be found online at:

http://users.nac.net/kpillion/toppage1.htm

Courage is an Indian Acres dog and a grandson of Renegade's Kansas Kid. He's my resident wild-man, and the reason I now have 4 Britts in my house!
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DualCH Brits » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:08 am

aaaah........."splains things a bit Lucy"!! You have your hands full for sure with those lines. Glad you are thinking of getting into some of the field stuff. If nothing else it will give your kids a natural outlet for their instincts and energy and get you out and meeting other folks who love the Hunt Tests and Trials too. It really is one big happy family. It was so neat to meet so many folks in person that I only really knew via the Internet before :roll:
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:23 am

I'm so looking forward to it! I was going to handle Blaze myself in the show ring, but now I'm having second thoughts about it. I would really like to finish him quickly in the US and Canada and then move on to the field work. Britt Haven tells me he'll be "magnificent in the field", and so far everything that I thought was an exaggeration turned out to be absolutely true, so here's hoping!
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DualCH Brits » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:12 am

Why are you having second thoughts about showing him yourself? You can do it!! It isn't rocket science and will give you something to work toward <gg> TOGETHER
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:30 pm

I'm having a hard time coming up with "quiet time" to work with Blaze. If I pull Blaze aside, all of a sudden we're the center of attention, and Courage is barking because he wants to play, and Zach is nudging because he wants pets, and the house turns immediately into a zoo. It's too cold to work outside or to throw everyone else out to work inside. We tried handling classes, but that didn't go so well (too crowded, too long, too boring for Blaze), so I'm kind of on my own. I was going to get in touch with the handler Blaze's breeder uses to see if she would work one-on-one with Blaze and I so that I can handle him myself. I'm going to sign up for a couple of matches in January and make my decision from there.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DualCH Brits » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:45 pm

Ok.... I see the dilema. But that said.....those handling classes, even though they are too big are a really great tool for you two. The show ring is just as busy, with the wiat outside the ring for the other breeds to finish, the wait inside the ring if you have a big class and of course the big wait should you win your class while you go back in the ring for breed....especially of there are a number of Specials to be judged. Showing a puppy is always a crap shoot and hard on them because their attention span is so much shorter then the adult dogs but don't give up!! Go back to handling class at least once a month if you can and then try working Blaze amongst the caos at home...it will help him to learn to focus on you no matter what is happening around him. Even 5 minutesa a day is all you really need .... :lol:

ANd of course do the baiting routine in the kitchen around the house and in the yard at odd times ( keeping treats in your pocket always) so that when you ask him if he wants a treat he knows to stack out before he gets the treat. It will soon be automatic for him to free stack anytime he thinks is getting a treat. or if he wants your attention etc...

You can do this!! It doesn't have to be a structured training session each and everytime....you will get better results if you just make that "stack" as automatic as a "sit" ( which, BTW I hope you haven't been teaching too much just yet) :P
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:32 pm

No, I haven't even said the word "Sit" in Blaze's presence. I've been hand feeding his kibble at dinner time and making sure he stands and focuses on me and we just finished puppy kindergarten (we did down instead of sit there), so he's a little better on lead than he was 2 months ago.

The handling classes were actually pushing 1 1/2 hours long with Blaze thrown at the end because he's a pup. It turned out to be counter-productive (we stopped going last month). By the time it was his turn, he was tired, bored and would just lay down and roll on his back as I was trying to stack him. The last class we went to, the instructor called him a precocious puppy, which I didn't think was a compliment, so I decided to give it a rest for a couple of months.

There is another kennel club giving handling classes, they're a little farther away, but I think I might take Blaze to one to see what it's like.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:52 am

I spoke to Doc's handler this week. She said to call her around 1/10 and we'd set up some time for her to work with Blaze and me. We went to visit Doc yesterday, and he was absolutely thrilled at how Blaze is growing up. He said that he could be the best of his lines yet, having more substance that previous dogs, which speaks volumes as he's finished more than a dozen dogs in the last 4 years.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Hunting/Field Trials