Few pictures of Jack and Apache

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Few pictures of Jack and Apache

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:41 am

Thought I would share a few photos of Jack and Apache doing what they love to do most, hunting for birds :lol: .

The first three are points, the fourth one I like because Jack appears to be looking back over his shoulder after the flush and saying "OK guys, don't miss this time".

Last edited by Jacksbuddy on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:21 am

Great pictures and it looks like so much fun. I'm not a hunter but there are times I wish I was .... or wish my dogs were trained to hunt. I'd just like to go out and watch them do their "thing."
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:10 am

Nice pictures, Tim. How's Apache doing in the field?

Next weekend, the guy who got our Montana (now Roxy) is entering her in a puppy stakes at a Chukar Challenge about 10 miles from us. Never even knew that place was there. If you want to check out their website, look Mason Dixon Game Outfitters. He has been consistently working her on birds since she was 3 months old. He says she has a rock solid point (of up to 2 minutes of solid point), and she has to get to the downed bird first and retrieve. I can't wait to see her work.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby AuntieMom » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:34 pm

Great photos! They are so beautiful to watch in the field. Nothing like watching a dog do what they love to do. :D
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:54 pm

Cindy wrote:Great pictures and it looks like so much fun. I'm not a hunter but there are times I wish I was .... or wish my dogs were trained to hunt. I'd just like to go out and watch them do their "thing."

It is great fun, so much so I plan my vacations around the bird seasons.
If you ever get the chance to walk along, GO.

Hey Brian, Apache is doing great, he has a nice scenting ability and a good point. He does really good at retrieving during yard work but part of the problem in the field is Jack won't allow him to retrieve.
I would like to do something more formal with him but looking at the costs of running him in NAVHDA functions for hunt tests and having to be PC with the judges and all,. sort of spoils it for me. I guess I will just have to be comfortable knowing I have another dog that will run with any other in an open stake on any gameland or grouse wood :wink: 8) :lol: .

I hope Roxy does well, it is nice to hear about the sucesses of Apaches other littermates 8) .

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Muddy Creek Britts wrote:
Next weekend, the guy who got our Montana (now Roxy) is entering her in a puppy stakes at a Chukar Challenge about 10 miles from us. Never even knew that place was there. If you want to check out their website, look Mason Dixon Game Outfitters.

My husband took Maggie there a few times when she was a puppy. They offered training classes for pups (I guess they still do) and it was the first time she was ever actually exposed to birds. We only ever saw one other brit there-it was mostly GSP's and a few labs.
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:13 pm

It looks like fun was had by all . :P I love watching Brittanys do what they were bred to do . It's poetry in motion .

Come to Mt. Cindy, and you can go along and watch some really great Brittanys work . I'll have Eric bring his field champion dogs and you can all laugh at my shooting . The dogs do . :lol: Dave
Last edited by Dave on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:46 pm

Tim, this is just soooooo neat 8) 8) Having watched these pups from birth to new home to being successful Britts, whatever the vocation, has been just terrific 8) I read about all these dogs and just sit and grin and grin and grin :D :D Neat photos....more please :D :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:22 pm

Hey Brian, Apache is doing great, he has a nice scenting ability and a good point. He does really good at retrieving during yard work but part of the problem in the field is Jack won't allow him to retrieve.

Apache's gotta be taught about seniority. :wink: Glad he's doing well. Competitions might be nice for bragging rights, but a good dog that can put food in the cooker is what it's really about. Looks like Apache is honoring Jack's point in that one picture. He might be on the larger size, but he is one good-looking pup. And such the sweet personality.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Jacksbuddy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:43 pm

Apache definitely has a laid back personality, always happy and easy going.
He is honor Jacks point in the photo, I also have one where Jack is honoring his point 8) .

- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:10 am

Great pics! Looks like Apache is coming along really nicely!!
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Hunting/Field Trials