titles

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

titles

Postby MaggieRocks » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:59 pm

All this talk about colors got me looking at Maggie's registration/pedigree (orange/roan, by the way!)

Anyway...I'm looking at the titles on the girl's pedigrees, and to be honest-not really sure what they all mean. Some help here???

Maggie's parents are both CH. I know that means "champion."
Going back a generation, there's 2 CH's, an FC (field champion) and a DC (dual champion)

That's where I get lost. What, exactly, is the difference between those 3 titles? Plus, if I go back another generation, there's an NFC in there.

Emma's pedigree is similar, but she has an NAFC thrown in for good measure.

When we were looking for pups, my husband wanted one that had a hunting background, so that was one of the things that I looked for. But to be honest, I don't know what all is involved in getting each specific title. Can someone provide me some basic info?
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:38 pm

Ch signifies earning enough points in the show ring (conformation).

FC of course, is earning enough points in field trials.

DC is when you are both champion in the field and in the conformation ring.

If you ever want to share her pedigree, go to perfectpedigrees.com and you can input all her info along with titles. Then you can just forward that link or her pedigree number, and people can go to it.

If you want an example, here is the pedigree I set up when we were whelping our litter last year:

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1182
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby MaggieRocks » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:27 pm

Oh, that's neat. I never saw that before. (Love that picture, by the way)

Ok, champion, field champion and dual champion make perfect sense. But then, what is an amatuer field champion and a national field champion? And what about senior hunter and junior hunter? Is that a reference to hunt trials vs field trials? There's just so many titles!!!
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:44 pm

When in doubt, go to the source: :wink:

http://www.akc.org/events/titles.cfm
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby MaggieRocks » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:00 am

Wow-there's titles there I never even heard of before! World Nite Champion?!!! Glad I don't have a coonhound!!!

But I'm still unclear on the difference between National Gundog Champion and National Amateur Gundog Champion, for example. It doesn't really specify. When does the dog go from amateur to pro? :lol:

I know one title neither one of my girls could EVER win...obedience!!! :roll:
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: titles

Postby Rebecca Walters » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:01 pm

Oh Man - Just typed this HUGE response and it didn't go through - ARGH!!!!!

OK, so a shorter recap

NFC - Open All Age (OAA) National Championship - Big running dogs, mostly on tree lines and FAST. These are very independent dogs who do not look to their handlers for a lot of direction. They see a tree line and they run for it. Not uncommon for them to be out of sight while under judgement. They don't have to handle that nicely and you'll find it can be a noisy stake under some handlers. OAA is alway a horse back handled stake. The OAA is open to both Amatuer and Professional Handlers. NFC is the premier event of the Brittany Field trial year. The winner is often seen to be the best Brit for the year (hotly contested statement btw)

NAFC - Same as above, but open to only Amatuer handlers (Pro & Amatuer refers to the handler, not the dog)

NGDCH - National Gun Dog Championship. For Gun Dogs= closer working dogs who are expected to handle very kindly. The will quarter the field more, work tree lines but not to the extreme of an AA dog. Unfortuantely, in the Brittany world, the Gun dog is a second class citizen to the AA dog. You can see this in the point schedule for dog of the year and the futurity points.

NAGDCH - National Amatuer Gun Dog Championship.- open to only amatuer handlers. same as above

Hope that helps, you can see the entire field trial rule book which explains these stakes and much more on the AKC web site.

If you have dogs with these types of titles, you have some mighty fine breeding in your dogs.
Rebecca Walters
Puppy

Return to Hunting/Field Trials