My Brittany won't point....any suggestions?

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

My Brittany won't point....any suggestions?

Postby janet909 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:17 pm

We currently have an 8 year old Brittany who is awesome in the field. We recently rescued a 1 1/2 year old Brittany who seems to exhibit bird interest. Today, we planted a pheasant and had him work the field. The wind was pretty steady and at times he seemed to hit the scent. He then went all the way up to the launcher but then, instead of pointing, he lost focus and started going another direction. Any suggestions?? We tried it numerous times but never got a point out of him. We not sure if the wind was swirling too much or if he just doesn't have "pointing" in him. Any thoughts????
Janet
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: My Brittany won't point....any suggestions?

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Welcome to the board, Janet.

I think alot of us were waiting for our field trial competitors to chime in with advice. Maybe if I go ahead and give my two cents, they'll jump in, smack my hand, and give you the best advice in the world. :P :lol:

If you have one good hunter, have you ever taken them both out together :?: Sometimes another dog can be a great tool for training the new one. If it was windy out, the scent could've been hard to catch. I'd let the pup see the bird out in the open, maybe even watch it flush. That may be all you need to get its juices flowing.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby janet909 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks for your reply. I searched out the previous posts and found a couple web sites that have hunting information. Our thought is that we didn't let the launcher sit there for long enough to build a good scent. We've also found a few tips on the websites that we're going to try with regards to training. We haven't hunted the dogs together yet as we wanted to see what we have with our new dog before introducing the power house. It's just hard for our rescue dog to focus in the field as he's had a confined life up to now so he's completely overwhelmed with everything in the field. We'll keep working with him and hopefully he didn't miss his golden window with hunting/training. Thanks again. I'd throw in a picture of him but am not seeing how to do that on this chat board.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 pm

Here's the link that explains how to post pictures here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=811

You're basically loading a picture up to ImageShack. Then you will get a code to copy & paste on the board. The picture will then appear on the board.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:07 pm

I too, was hoping some of our hunters would chime in.....and I hesitate to comment since I don't hunt my "natural" hunter, and with so many unknowns about the dog....but here goes anyway :roll: A dog that hasn't had ANY chance to use his instincts (and the instincts ARE there) may just be totally overwhelmed the first time out....he has so much flooding of senses that getting honed in on one such as "pointing" may just be left in dust while the nose rules. Remember, since he is just in a new home he has one whole heck of a lot of NEW stuff happening.....I'd sure give him lots of time to get his new life squared away. And many more opportunities to become a hunter. Hunting with the experienced dog does sound like a good idea, but also he needs some time for himself to get things figured out. If he seems "birdy" then it's all in there somewhere, just time and exposure will probably let the hunter/pointer show up. JMO
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Rebecca Walters » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:28 pm

Don't give up on your Britt. A lot of dogs have problems with birds in launchers, it really messes up the scenting and the whole "bird"concept for some dogs. The best way I know to get a dog to point a bird is to let him bump the bird (flush it) and give chase. They do this a few times and then it starts to click in that they can't catch it and then they start to point. I would also advise being careful using a pheasant to test out a new dog. If the dog hasn't been on birds and/or is a very soft dog, it could really scare him when it takes off (pheasants make a lot of racket on flushing) and you could end up creating a new problem. Get hold of some quail or pidgeons and plant 2 -4 in a small field, a really easy to work field. And let the dog do whatever the dog is going to do. For the most part, the first time on birds, there is no such thing as making a mistake (for the dog that is). Just let them do whatever, any contact is positive and should be praised. And don't use a launcher yet. Remeber, the launcher makes a bunch of noise too and you don't want to scare a young/new dog on birds. The other thing is let your new dog watch your old dog work, that too can start to imprint what they should do.

Best of Luck,
Rebecca
Rebecca Walters
Puppy

Postby janet909 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:45 am

Thanks for all the great advice. We're trying to get our hands on some pigeons but are having trouble finding any. On the other hand, our dog has discovered which out building the other 3 pheasants are living in and is obsessed with the scent eminating from it so that's a good sign in my eyes. We're going to try again on another day. I don't think he was phased at all by the launcher as much as just overwhelmed with the great new outdoors. I'll let you know how our next excursion goes........still working on getting a picture uploaded......unable to paste once I've copied. Hmmmmmmmmm.
Janet
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:12 pm

still working on getting a picture uploaded......unable to paste once I've copied. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Highlight then press Ctrl C at the same time . Then You put your cursor where you want it and press Ctrl V . The old fashioned way , EH ? :P Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby janet909 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:54 pm

Okay....have the "code" but not a picture without clicking on it. What am I doing wrong??? :oops: I'm hopeless. Hopefully, I'll do better with my dogs.
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:56 pm

Aw, what a cutie!!!

Have you tried him on quail? I have read that it's a bad idea to start a dog on pheasant, because of their size, and because they can get nasty if a dog tries to retrieve a live one! Not a good first experience!

We started our girls with quail, and that seemed to work out well. In fact, DH started raising both quail and chukar so we always have birds to work with.
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Helen E. » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:49 pm

What a handsome boy! :D
Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby janet909 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Well, he did it. My husband was in the back building and the door was cracked. Our young Britt went in there, saw the pheasants in the pen and did a perfect 3 point point. That afternoon, we went into the field with a bird, the launcher and both dogs. We worked the field. The older boy pointed and the younger one froze next to him. We launched and shot (the shot gun didn't phase him) and then both dogs went to the bird. He was thrilled. He's got the interest and isn't scared. Now, practice, practice, practice. We're trying to line up some pigeons......none local :(
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:42 pm

Wow....your pupper is gorgeous :!: If you paste the code that begins something like [URL..., it will put the picture there, instead of a link to the picture. He is a looker :!:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Barb Wright » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:02 pm

janet909 wrote:Well, he did it.

8) :D :D :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:59 am

Another one I missed :roll: :lol: . Good looking pup.
Sounds like you got everything under control, although it seems you introduced the gun all at once. But that's OK as long as everything worked out.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Next

Return to Hunting/Field Trials