My Brittany won't point....any suggestions?

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Re: My Brittany won't point....any suggestions?

Postby janet909 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:33 am

Actually, we've been randomly firing off cap guns, then a 22g, etc.etc. on hikes to get him used to sudden, loud sounds. He's not phased. He's too excited about life.....perhaps?? :lol: Anyway, I watched him when my husband shot twice with the shotgun and he was obsessed watching the bird. Didn't even flinch. Boy, did we luck out with him :D
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: My Brittany won't point....any suggestions?

Postby Bill C. » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Older thread, but...

you don't teach your dog to hunt, you teach him to obey some behavior commands WHILE he is hunting. He is teaching himself to hunt and you're tagging along with a shotgun.

If the pointing instinct is there, he'll use it. If not, he will work as a trailing/flushing dog who is hunting, at which point you will be working on keeping him within range for you to shoot when he flushes the bird(s).

Looks like you have it. Once he gets the joy, sensations, and satisfactions of hunting, it will consume him beyond food, love, and (sometimes) reproductive urges. There is nothing so beautiful to me as watching the pure drive of a joy-filled bird dog working a field, catching a scent, and casting to narrow the scent cone until he comes upon the game bird.

Congratulations.
Enjoy every sandwich
Warren Zevon

Bill and the dogges
Bill C.
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Previous

Return to Hunting/Field Trials