Hunting Equipment?

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Hunting Equipment?

Postby Karen_P » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:21 pm

I ordered Connor a blaze orange upland vest and orange baseball cap with a pheasant on it, and a digital compass from Cabelas. I looked in wal-mart for a vest and cap but they only had "big game" stuff available. The vests didn't have bird pouches and the hats had deer on them. I'm going to try to get back there this week and look for boots for him.

Wal-Mart does sell a Remington youth semi-auto 20 gauge shotgun for $425 (it's a gas reloader). Do you think this would be a good 1st gun for a 12 yr old?
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:44 pm

Karen ,
I happen to be quite a gun collector , shooter , reloader :o I just switched loves, to Archery . I think that shotgun would be good although you can get pump action Reminton 870 a lot cheaper . If the $425 isn't a huge issue that youth 20 guage would be great :) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:52 pm

Great! I don't think Wal-Marts in NJ are actually licensed to sell firearms (although I could be wrong), but at least it points me in the right direction.

The $425 is about what I would expect to spend. I'm going to try to have all my "ducks in a row" so that when Connor's dad comes up to visit in February, he can take him to a range and teach him how to use it safely.

I'm going to leave a message for the police officer in town who is in change of firearm permits this week to see what I have to do to get a permit to buy a shotgun.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:53 pm

One last question....are the pump action ones safer for children?
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:26 pm

It's always good to ask questions . I believe a pump action is safer , as you can leave the action open so everyone knows it is safe . In Montana parents have to accompany their children to Hunter's safety classes . I believe this to be a very good idea. 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:43 pm

Karen,
A break action is probably the safest, followed by a pump, and then an auto. The Remington auto your probably looking at, at Wallmart is likely to be the 11-87 which is a cheaper version of their very popular 1100. It's a good gun for a first auto loader. As far as being a good first gun for a 12 yr old.... I would say no, but there are two schools of thought here.
The first thought (that would make it a good choice) is that its an auto loader which takes up some of the recoil that might make a young kid or small person hesitant to shoot because the kick hurts... auto loaders kick a lot less, so it's a good choice
Second thought is that auto loaders make it easy for a kid or new shooter to not worry about having to hit on the first shot because they can, in short order, send several more shots out at a bird. The traditional (old timers) way of thinking is that new shooters should have limitted shooting capacity so they are more focused on making that first (and sometimes only) shot count.
Soo... it's not a bad choice by any means, I wouldn't do it, but it's not at all a bad choice. I'd probably go with either on of those single shot break action New England Arms shotguns (at Wallyworld) or a pump (Rem 870 or Winchester 1300 both available I think from Wallyworld as well). A 20g shotgun would be easily handled by most kid. Did you say when you were asking last time that he's a decent sized kid/can shoulder an adult long gun comfortably? I ask because adult or youth model is an important consideration. Adult stocks are a little longer and can make it uncomfortable for him to hold and aim accurately. Plus adult gun barrel lengths are longer which makes it hard to ballance well (all the weight is out at the end of the gun). If he's a smaller boy, go with a youth model in a cheaper gun (which he'll grow out of in a few years). If he's borderline of bigger, go with the adult model.
Anyway, maybe more than you were looking for, but I'm a gun freak so sorry if I got too wordy. Good luck.
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Return to Hunting/Field Trials