Now that we're back!

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Now that we're back!

Postby Karen_P » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:32 pm

I have to tell you all, I found a local trainer who breeds GSP's and English Pointers and trains by the hour.

I made an appointment for New Years Day and off I went with my 3 boys.

As I'm taking the boys out of the truck and putting them in a kennel box attached to the back of an ATV, the guy is critequeing each dog. Zach was the "old fat guy", Blaze was the "teddy bear", and he really liked Courage...big, strong boy in really good shape. I climbed on top of the kennel box and off we went to see what the boys could do in the middle of a 300 acre shooting preserve.

Well, the "old fat guy" is a hunter! Zach ranged beautifully, check in with us frequently, got to shed his check cord in the first 5 minutes, found and pointed 6 birds, was staunch on point, and when we flushed but didn't shoot, looked over his shoulder like "what the heck are you waiting for???".

The trainer actually offered to find me a buyer for Zach who would pay $3000 for him!!! Of course, that's absolutely out of the question, but talk about instant gratification! He said to take him out and hunt him...NOW!

Blaze did great too...he found and pointed 3 birds with a little help and had a wonderful time running in the field.

Courage knew he was out there to look for something...but decided it was mice, not birds.

It was soooo much fun! I'm going to try to get Courage and Blaze out again this weekend, and Zach goes back to the trainer next weekend to have a couple birds shot over him (we didn't want to do that with Blaze there last week).

Blaze has been prancing around like he's really something else (which of course he is) since Saturday, and Zach has just a little more spring in his step.

The best part is no one ran off! I was nervous, but the trainer said that it's obvious that I have a bond with my dogs. He said some people come there and their dogs take off like a shot and could care less about their owners. My boys were wonderful!
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Now that we're back!

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:47 pm

Karen_P wrote:He said some people come there and their dogs take off like a shot and could care less about their owners.

Sounds like it was a blast!!

Why do I have this bad feeling I'd be in this category?? eek...
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:48 pm

Way to go guys :!: It's poetry in motion watching these brittanys work . Get us some pictures :D Dave
Last edited by Dave on Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Brenda Dom » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:03 pm

"Old fat guy," lol! Way to show 'em Zach! Sounds like the 3 amigos are are having a blast and on their way! Have fun!

Brenda Dom
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle
Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby CJ » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:47 am

Sounds like a hunting addict in the making! That's how it starts.... a few staunch points... some feathers beating... then you'll be looking for the next break in the weather. Then one at a time won't do, you'll need to hit doubles.... Then spring and summer, and the withdrawls.... looking for any hunt test to feed the addiction..... Yup.... that's your future.... LOL
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:04 am

I still can't get over the boost in confidence Blaze got from running around and finding birds in the field! We went to handling class last night and he was much more outgoing than he's been around other dogs over the past couple of months.

As I got him out of the truck and put him in the kennel box towed by the ATV, all I could think was that he was going to be a basket case when we finally got to the training grounds. We were up and down hills over rough terrain, and Blaze is a little shy to start with.

Well, he bolted out of that kennel box, took one look around, his tail went straight up and started wagging, and it never stopped!

We went back down to the barn/kennel after training and the dogs stayed in the kennel box while the trainer showed us a started female pointer (she was about a year old), that he'd been working with. Well, Blaze could see us and just howled to get in on the action.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:33 am

Yup, it is amazing, but... that's what these guys/gals were born to do.... Also the main reason I always prod everyone I meet that owns a sporting breed dog to get them involved in SOMETHING... the dogs' quality of life is just SOOOOO much improved when they have a purpose past warming the couch.
I'm really syched for you Karen, it's obvious that you guys have found the 'niche", glad you're enjoying it so much. And.... it only gets better!
c.j.
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:54 am

Just wish there wasn't such strong anti-hunting sentiment out there. I was telling a friend at work about our trip to the field and someone else overheard and gave me an earful on their personal opinion of how horrible hunting was. It really does make you afraid to say a word about it to anyone!

I have to give credit to the middle school here though. My son is reading "Where The Red Fern Grows" which is all about a little boy hunting with his 2 coon hounds. The ending is horribly sad, and I'm not looking forward to him reading it (both dogs die), but it paints a very favorable picture of hunting.

His teacher was trying to get permission for Connor to bring one of his "hunting dogs" to school for the kids to meet.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:07 am

Karen_P wrote:I have to give credit to the middle school here though. My son is reading "Where The Red Fern Grows" which is all about a little boy hunting with his 2 coon hounds. The ending is horribly sad, and I'm not looking forward to him reading it (both dogs die), but it paints a very favorable picture of hunting.

His teacher was trying to get permission for Connor to bring one of his "hunting dogs" to school for the kids to meet.

I remember when Mr. Holton read that to us in 3rd grade (was so long, it took like a month.. would read a chapter to us a day). On the last day, he spent an entire period reading the last 3 or 4 chapters.. didnt matter if you were the class nerd (raises hand), or the big bully, EVERYONE was balling their eyes out.. That is such a great book.. but oh so sad.. Just dont let him read Old Yeller right afterwords.. he wont be the same for months (just ask my mom.. ;) ).
Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:57 am

Karen_P wrote:Just wish there wasn't such strong anti-hunting sentiment out there. I was telling a friend at work about our trip to the field and someone else overheard and gave me an earful on their personal opinion of how horrible hunting was. It really does make you afraid to say a word about it to anyone!

Nothing infuriates me more than people like that spouting off. I make it a personal goal to humble and humiliate those types by forcing logical debates on them.
Karen, if some nitwit says something like that to you again just ask them if they eat meat or poultry or any kind ever. If they say yes, just quickly reply "then shut up, you have no room to speak about killing an animal, you just don't have the unction to do it yourself". If they try to skirt it, cut them off and keep repeating, "Answer the question" until they give you the opportunity to give the "primary" response and then walk away. It's a pretty offensive way to deal with that type, but unfortunately far too many anti hunters are that way themselves and only understand that type of dialog. It would be nice if you could reason with them with calm rational conversation, but..... alas... this is what we've come to.
I love the book by Ann Coulter "how to talk to a liberal, if you must". Politics aside, it's a great book for dealing with anti hunting, anti pure breed dog, anti everything traditionally American types.
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:09 pm

I couldn't agree with you more CJ. If only the HSUS would be seen for what they really are....they pump more anti-dog, anti-hunting propaganda out than just about any other organization under the guise of a legitimate organization (no level headed, rational individual pays any attention to PETA).

I hate to get into any kind of political or hunting debate at work, but if someone approached me that was not a collegue, they'd certainly get an earful.

Anyway, I wasn't able to book time at the pheasant farm 20 minutes away this weekend, so we're going back to the trainer on Sunday with Courage and Blaze to get some more birds in front of them. The transformation in Blaze is just remarkable! He actually wants to get back in the car now so I want to keep the momentum going, and if I can just get the bird thing to click with Courage, his month with the field trainer in March will be much more productive (I'd rather he spend his time training him to hunt rather than introducing him to birds).

And Mark...Old Yeller is absolutely out of the question! I was in tears reading the end of Where The Red Fern Grows a few weeks ago! Connor's already asking if bird hunting is safer than racoon hunting!
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:07 am

Hi, Had to jump in . Go CJ :D I didn't go off on a tangent cause I'm on blood pressure meds :lol: I would definately keep the momentum going with the boys , great job .Courage might just click and figure it out . If not you won't have to worry about mice :lol: 8) Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:17 am

Dave, I've got a cat for the mice! Courage has to-die-for hunting lines in his pedigree and points birds in the yard, so I have to believe that once he gets used to all the distractions in the field, he'll hunt like a machine. He's just not sure what he's there for right now, and he's incredibly independent.

At night I'll be sitting watching TV feeling like Dr. Doolittle surrounded by dogs and the cat, and I'll look around and Courage will be comfortably rolled up in a ball on my son's bed all by himself (it's the only peice of furniture they're allowed on). I used to shut the bedroom doors so he'd hang with us, but Courage truly marches to his own drummer.

Anyway, I love what this has done for Blaze, and since he makes his show premier on Feb 5th, I want to keep getting him out into the field and boost his confidence a little more every weekend.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:15 am

Feb. 5th , I guess I'd be getting butterflies :o I could just imagine if I had a cat , man Rusty would have been a nightmare to foster .These dogs have a unique personality that's for sure . All joking aside Courage more than likely will click like a lightbulb especially if he notices what the other two are up to . Is courage the alpha ? Dave
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Brenda Dom » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:34 am

Karen:

Would it be possible for Courage to go out by himself? Maybe he'd do better w/o competition from the other two.

Kelcy comes from lines that include Beans Blaze, Masked Shoshoni War Chief, Magnum's Masked Man, Gem State Jill, Allmac's Misty Morning Rise, Linval's Blazin Jake. She pointed feathers and wings at 4 weeks when we we picked her from her litter. But when she came home, all she wanted to do was watch the other two dogs work. We worked with her by herself a little bit and "it" clicked. Sam and Susie taught her to honor their point and they've been fine ever since. I've got a great pic of the girls backing Sammy in PA last fall. I'll try to get it scanned and posted.

Brenda Dom
Kelcy, Susie, Bodie and Max
"Some of us learn forgiveness by studying the lives of saints. And some of us keep dogs. . . ." - Charles Gusewelle
Brenda Dom
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Next

Return to Hunting/Field Trials