Now that we're back!

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Postby Karen_P » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:49 pm

Hi Barb,

The boys were run one at a time. I'm told it could be disasterous to allow Blaze and Courage to run together as they're both inexperienced. Now Zach and Blaze or Zach and Courage would work well as they would learn from Zach.

Poor Blaze just spent 2 hours in a grooming noose getting spiffed up for a match next weekend, but he looks fantastic! He's going to be hard to beat when he grows up a little bit!
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby DualCH Brits » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:35 pm

Isn't it too fun to catch the Hunting Dog Bug? I'm so happy for you Karen,
Don;t worry to too much about the 'anti-hunters" . Just remember to invite them to supper the night you roast your first stuffed pheasant!! :twisted: and then politely remind them that it ain't chicken they are eatin!!:)

Like I told you in a private post, I sure wish we were closer so that we could go play together. Jade is just turning 6 months here on the 21st and I am really lookingo forward to starting her towards her FT carreer. Brian has done a great job of exposing her to the birdwork and getting her hunting instinct kicked in and now it is time to add in the element of a little competition too.

Dayna...the mom of the pups I have right now went pheasnat hunting with Brian a few weeks back. He went hunting with friends of mine who bought a pup from me 2 years ago and they were eager to include Brian in the fun. "Hunter" is my friend's pup ( a Dayna son) "Ty" is his Frenchie. Dave was soooo eager to show Brian all that Hunter could do. But Hunter is not yet steady to wing and shot. He's pretty close to being there but still needs some of the final lessons like honoring, holding THROUGH the shot etc... Dave has NEVER hunted over a broke dog before. Brian and I thought it would be good practice for Dayna to join the fun and it would encourage Dave to take Hunter to the final level. To make a long story short, the boys bagged 6 pheasants, and Dayna showed them what a pleasure it is to work with a polished bird dog.:)

Dave asked if he could borrow Dayna next week for another hunt ( Chukar I think) and is finally talking about gettiing Hunter to that finished level. It is so much FUN to watch the potential of the dogs and owners come together.

Mu 13 year old daughter is getting to keep the pick pup out of this last litter of Dayna's and I'm really jazzed about watching the 2 of them grow up together. She has a really ruff time lately and I think that this will be a perfect activity to keep her focused on something positive. Pups turn 8 weeks old next Thurs. :)
Helen
Wild Mtn Brittanys
Western Pennsylvania
www.wildmtnbrittanys.com
DualCH Brits
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:13 am

How exciting for your daughter! Has she picked out a name for her pup yet? I wish my son was into it that much. He adores the dogs, and I was really hoping to get him into hunting and junior showmanship, but I'm not having a lot of luck yet. I'm hoping when Blaze starts competing (and winning!), and when we can actually go out and hunt over the dogs, he decides it's a lot of fun, but he's already decided that the training part isn't more fun than playing with friends or the darned playstation.
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:10 am

Karen,
I'd bet that once your boy sees him working at a hunt test or if you can wrangle him out to one of the training days that the dog points, a bird is flushed, and shot.... it will start to click for him too. That's a hard age for boys.... lots of things happening inside and lots of interest changes... but even with that, theres just something magical about working with a pointing dog that is really doing it's thing.... he won't be able to resist the pull........
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:59 pm

Oh I hope you're right CJ. Connor tells me that Courage is still his favorite of the gang (you know how a boy and his very first puppy can be), which is the reason I'm investing so much money in Courage's training. Courage has, what I think, is a very impressive pedigree, loaded with FC's AFC's and DC's and he can fly. Once the bird concept kicks in, I think he's going to be unstoppable.

http://users.nac.net/kpillion/new_page_3.htm

I'm going to force him to come to training with me the next really nice day we get.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:54 am

Well, now we know where he gets his good looks..... lots of DC titles in there I see.
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:27 pm

Would you believe I never even saw his pedigree before I picked him up at the breeder? Had no idea what a DC was, didn't care what a NFC or AFC was...just wanted a pet. Hind sight might be 20/20, but I wish Courage had been my 2nd Brittany...then I would have had a clue.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Previous

Return to Hunting/Field Trials