Junior Pheasant Hunt

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Junior Pheasant Hunt

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:16 pm

Just took an ol' buddy of mine's boy out on his very first pheasant hunt for PA's Junior Pheasant Hunt. Two shots and two birds down. It's so rewarding having a kid get the chance to work behind dogs for his first time. He's fourteen years old, but he does lots of other hunting, just never with dogs. The first gameland was too crowded. Moved to one close by and there was almost no one there. His dad locked his keys in his truck, called his wife to make the 45 minute drive out to unlock it. By the time she got there, we had gotten our limit and were cooling down beside the vehicles.

Boy got a memorable day, Dad got to share it, my dogs got more time afield....but they didn't understand why the birds weren't coming home with us. :lol: Guess I'll have to pull one out of the freezer and boil it up for them. :wink: Gotta keep "the help" happy and motivated. 8)
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Re: Junior Pheasant Hunt

Postby etyson11 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:55 pm

Incredible read for a snowy day in Denver. It sounds like you had a great time and I'm genuinely a little jealous. Sounds like the kid had a great time too and was a pretty good shot.
Bridget Willow
etyson11
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Postby janet909 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:00 pm

Sounds awesome !!! A day that boy will never forget and just might get him interested for the long term :D :D I remember when the local DOW did a free "womans pheasant clinic". A day of learning, hunting and catered lunch. It was awesome and my husband was jealous. Then came the "womans duck hunting clinic". I had never hunted ducks but boy, was it fun. I just think it's great to give folks, young and old, a chance to do something that they wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to do. Thanks for taking an interest in our youth !!!
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Oh, lucky you! My husband wanted to take Maggie hunting for pheasant this afternoon, but our 16 year old nephew had to work! DH kept saying he wishes he knew another kid!!! That's ok...he's out archery hunting, anyway. Can't do everything!
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Awesome Brian, Glad you had fun. 8)

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:07 am

Sounds like a fun time. I wish you guys lived closer because I would love to go on a hunt. Just to watch the dogs - you wouldn't want me with a gun in my hand!! :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:59 am

Cindy, you could always go to a hunt trial! :)
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:04 am

Where do you find out about them? I wonder if anyone in VA would have Britts - I very rarely ever see them around here but it's probably not the best bird hunting territory either.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:46 am

My ABC magazine says there are a couple coming to Tidewater...Oct 24 - 25, and Nov 7 - 8. Not sure what the difference is between the two. Odd that they're just a couple weeks apart. Maybe Karen knows more about it. The first one has a (W) after it, but I don't know what that stands for. Birds don't get shot at field trials. They just use a blank gun when the bird is flushed.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby MaggieRocks » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:56 am

Cindy wrote:Where do you find out about them? I wonder if anyone in VA would have Britts - I very rarely ever see them around here but it's probably not the best bird hunting territory either.

I got Emma from a breeder in VA! And I know she does field trials and hunt trials. In fact, Emma's dad is a FC/AFC. Lots of other titles in her line, too, but I don't know how far she traveled to get to all the competitions.

Here's a link to AKC shows by state-
http://www.akc.org/events/index.cfm?s_k ... -358228992
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:43 pm

Cindy wrote:Where do you find out about them? I wonder if anyone in VA would have Britts - I very rarely ever see them around here but it's probably not the best bird hunting territory either.

Muddy Creek Britts wrote:My ABC magazine says there are a couple coming to Tidewater...Oct 24 - 25, and Nov 7 - 8. Not sure what the difference is between the two. Odd that they're just a couple weeks apart. Maybe Karen knows more about it. The first one has a (W) after it, but I don't know what that stands for. Birds don't get shot at field trials. They just use a blank gun when the bird is flushed.

Now that I had some time to think about it, the first dates with the (W) probably means that that one is a walking field trial. The other is horseback.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Cindy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:05 am

I could really enjoy the one on horseback! I'll check into this some more. Thanks.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:36 am

Cindy, let me warn you...wear something blaze orange. The first time I went to a hunt trial, I went by myself. (DH was hunting, go figure :roll:) I knew NOTHING about them. Well, I wasn't wearing anything orange, so they wouldn't let me in!!! It wasn't a total loss...I wandered the parking lot, admiring the dogs and talking to people. But still, I was disappointed. So, go prepared!
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Muddy Creek Britts » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:29 pm

MaggieRocks wrote:Cindy, let me warn you...wear something blaze orange. The first time I went to a hunt trial, I went by myself. (DH was hunting, go figure :roll:) I knew NOTHING about them. Well, I wasn't wearing anything orange, so they wouldn't let me in!!! It wasn't a total loss...I wandered the parking lot, admiring the dogs and talking to people. But still, I was disappointed. So, go prepared!

You need orange at hunt tests because that is a live ammo event. Field trials don't require orange, since there is only a blank pistol being used. Bev, I went to a hunt test at Mason-Dixon Outfitters and didn't need to have orange, but that wasn't an AKC event, so maybe that was the difference. Plus we just watched from the parking road. I think we would've needed orange if we went out to the field with the competitors though. Some places are much more spectator-friendly than others, meaning at that some places spectators can see what is going on afield from the parking area.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Postby Cindy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:33 pm

Thanks for the tip. I have lots to wear in blaze orange since I ride my horse throughout the Fall and Winter and there are so many people around here who hunt. I have a blaze orange vest, halter for my horse, a cover for my helmet, and even bells to dangle from my saddle. On top of that I talk and sing alot since I'm generally by myself. I've got the "make sure they know you're around" down pat!
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Next

Return to Hunting/Field Trials