Hunt Test?

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Hunt Test?

Postby rtropeano » Tue May 04, 2010 8:41 pm

I will have the opportunity to have Daisy take a hunt test at camp this year. I'm just wondering what to expect if we try it. They told me they use real "dead" birds, I'm thinking it might be a little gross, but I can probably handle that.

What I'm really wondering is will doing this hunt test increase her prey drive and possibly want to chase things more, or am I worried about nothing?

Thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Hunt Test?

Postby Karen_P » Mon May 10, 2010 10:35 am

I'm assuming that this isn't an AKC hunt test (I've never heard of using dead birds at a hunt test being given by a licensed AKC club). Courage was 4 yrs old when he saw his first real (live) game bird. It didn't make him any more or less prey driven. He chased every tweetie and squirrel in the yard before, and continues to do so (he'll be 10 in July).
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby rtropeano » Mon May 10, 2010 11:01 pm

It's not an AKC sanctioned event - it's just an opportunity to try a "hunt" test at a camp that I go to each year.

Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Tue May 11, 2010 5:01 am

I sounds like it will just be a gauge to see how birdy she might be, no harm in that.
However if see does really well you might get afflicted with a bug that compels you to start upland bird hunting :wink:

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Tue May 11, 2010 11:08 am

Somehow, I can't quite picture Rose out in the field with a shotgun!!! :wink: :lol:
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Tue May 11, 2010 11:10 am

You'd have said that about me about 6 yrs ago :D
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby rtropeano » Tue May 11, 2010 12:03 pm

LOL......I can't shoot anything though...If it does turn out that she's birdy, I'll have to ship her to PA to hang out with Jack and Apache. Just don't shoot anything over water, otherwise kiss it goodbye :roll:

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Tyrone_MN » Sun May 30, 2010 11:09 pm

Question: Does Daisy point / stalk small song birds in the yard?

The last three/four weeks, Brett has been pointing Robins/Black Birds out in the yard, when we're out with his long training lead. Brett also stalks 'em, walking very slowly like a cat, and then when the bird flies he watches it go off in some direction.

-Steve
Ty - May '95 - Sept '09 Brett - Dec '09
Tyrone_MN
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Cindy » Mon May 31, 2010 5:42 am

Our old dog, Annie, and also Jill stalk song birds in the yard. As a matter of fact, that's about the only place I see Jill stalk birds! Annie could move SOOOO slowly we couldn't couldn't believe how a Brittany could possibly be that calm and patient. It could take minutes to pick up 1 foot and slowly but surely move it forward. Pretty amazing to watch.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby rtropeano » Mon May 31, 2010 10:45 am

Yes, she does stalk and point. Not all the time though - it depends. I've seen her stalking small animals in the yard - yesterday is was a mouse or vole. Many times she tries to flush birds and skips the point..it seems that one of her biggest interests is squirrels. My friend was walking her and they said she literally tried to climb a tree (on lead) to get to a squirrel :shock:

We'll see how she does in the "field" I know the field where the activity takes place is next to a pond. Hopefully they are not planning to put those birds into the water otherwise......I don't think she'll participate - she doesn't usually go into the water voluntarily.

Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby janet909 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:51 pm

I think it sounds like fun and I'm sure that Rosie will have a blast. These posts made me remember when Moby was just a puppy and he'd point butterflies in the yard. We thought it was hysterical !!! Now, he's a major bird dog (though I think Wesley gets the award and Shep....well, we won't know until this fall).
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby rtropeano » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:08 pm

Well......we just got back from camp and the "Hunt" test wasn't really that at all - just retrieving a dokken? big disappointment with that but...at least she did bring it back on land and next to the water......LOL......oh well - we'll have to find a "club" to try a real test sometime.

Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Harrison86 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:40 am

Great job.
Harrison86
Puppy

Return to Hunting/Field Trials