Dee forgets to lay down on point!

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Dee forgets to lay down on point!

Postby Jeanne » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:24 am

I took Dee to a hunting preserve with our friend Bill and his L/W Bandit a week and a half ago. It was very cold, but before we got that extra foot of snow the following Saturday.

As you may remember I was fussing because Dee finished her training to be steady to wing and shot last fall by laying down on point. This was the first chance since then that I have had to get her out since I don't personally hunt. Well, the first bird she sat down, the second and third birds she laid down. I very gently went over to her and picked her up and told her she was a good girl. I was also more verbal with her than I was in training and maybe that helped but after those first few birds she did fine. We were planting quail but both dogs went on an especially staunch point - it turns out they had found a chukar! Dee did break her point and chased when the bird flew but I didn't correct her beyond a uh uh! After that when she went on point I went up to her and held her collar lightly (since I didn't have my check cord with me in the field) and let Bill kick up the birds. She had a couple of nice retrieves to hand as well.

I was very pleased and am hoping to get us invited to go again next month. She seemed like she was getting her confidence back and that is really what I wanted to see. I have asked my husband to seriously think about getting into bird hunting so the girls can go hunting, particularly Dee. I am willing to learn, but he already knows how to use firearms (Vietnam Vet) so I would like him to be my gunner rather than me shooting my foot off or God forbid one of the dogs!!!

Bill took some nice pictures and I wanted to try to post one of his Bandit and Dee on the same bird, but I think they are too big for the image posting service 1.37MB???
Jeanne
Jeanne
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby CJ » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:49 am

Jeanne,
Great news on the progress! Keep up with the collar/check cord, that's the way to go. The planted birds are great. Now that she's pointed/pointing it will be easier to continue with her. It's also OK to go out withour a gunner and just plant and flush. Just pluck a few flight feathers on both wings and the birds won't be able to fly to far for the dog to make a retieve (and... you'll be able to reuse the bird if she doesn't munch them to bad). Its not a bad thing for a dog to learn not every bird is shot. If you do do this though, get a blank gun. If you let the dog retreive the bird, you NEED to blank it, otherwise you'll be teaching the dog to chase everything that flushes. With that, if you are not going to blank the bird, don't pluck the feathers, that way the bird can make a clean get away.
It's really awesome to hear the progress! Keep us posted.
Oh, and you can get a free Yahoo account and put those pictures on there and add the link to a post here so we can see them without taking up the forum's space (in otherwords, I'd love to see those pictures!).
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Jeanne » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:24 pm

Okay, I am going to try to put the picture in using the account I have at photobucket, if that doesn't work I will put in the link. Here goes!

Bandit is the liver and white on the left and Dee is on the right.
Jeanne
Jeanne
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Jeanne » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:02 pm

CJ,

Here is the link to the album with all the pictures from the hunt. They are in backwards order, but you can still see her progressing from sitting down and they laying down to looking pretty staunch. Hope this works okay.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v403/jcte ... ry%20Hunt/
Jeanne
Jeanne
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby Jen » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:17 pm

Great pictures!
Coda - our forever foster dog
Jen
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby CJ » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:15 pm

Jeanne,
WOW! that looks like a good training area, I'm enveous. Those pictures are great too. She looks great for a dog that just started pointing. Something I noticed and my be wrong (not knowing the wind conditions ect....). It looks like she's either a natural "backing" dog, or she's had some training in that. Some of the pics look like she's a bit to far away from the scent cone to be actually pointing, but rather honoring Bandits point. This (in my LTHO), is HUGE! Getting a Britt to point isn't usually that hard, getting them to honor, can sometimes be quite a feat! Looks like she's a natural. I've got some friends that have a young Britt girl that honors naturally (right out of the welping box) and is just as staunch on back as on point. It's increadibly impressive. Soo... if you haven't trained her for that, that's awesome, and even if you have trained her for it, it's still great for a starting out dog. She looks great. Oh, you can see her gaining as the pics go on. Good job, you should really be proud of yourselves.
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Jeanne » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:15 am

The pictures were taken at a "Hunting Preserve" near Quincy, MI that my friend Bill (a member of our local Brittany Club) goes to. I think its a fairly private deal that the fellow who owns the place offers to people he knows. He competes on a national level with his pointing dogs. He has quail, pheasant and chukar available.

Dee had been pointing fine and progressing pretty well on being "steadied", but last summer after being corrected a couple of times for breaking point and chasing she decided the safest way to be steady was to lay down. I think she was pushed too far too fast - she is softer than Tara by far. Most of the advice I got was to shoot a lot of birds over her and back off on the corrections and use the check cord to keep her from breaking. It looks like that was good advice!!

I think you are right about the backing and that was very exciting to see. That is why I am really hoping we can make it a regular thing to take Dee and Bandit out!!
Jeanne
Jeanne
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Return to Hunting/Field Trials