PHEASANT AND RABBITS?

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Re: PHEASANT AND RABBITS?

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:20 pm

Beasley IS a handsome boy.....glad he's home now forever with you :D A bright future for both :)

Here's the "how to" for posting photos etc. :

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=811

If none of that works give Mark a PM, he has ALL the answers :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby MASONJ » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:18 pm

BEASLEY SAYS THIS IS THE LIFE RIGHT HERE!

THIS ONE IS THE ONLY STILL SHOT I COULD GET. 7 YEARS OLD AND MOVES AROUND LIKE A 6 MONTH OLD PUP.

TUCKERED OUT AFTER FINDING OUT WE HAD CHICKENS AND TURKEYS! NO ANIMALS WERE HURT. JUST SCARED. HE WAS HAPPY THOUGH.

I think this will work if I followed directions right. Thanks for the help on posting Barb!

Beasley is doing great everyone. Not sure how well he likes the other boy yet. He got in a little argument with all of them the other day and now he gives a little growl at the other male. BOYS WILL BE BOYS.

He is going hunting sunday though. He cant wait. Every time I get out boots and thermals he acts like an idiot running the house so excited. He went out earlier this week with me walking a field with no pheasant. HE DIDNT KNOW THAT. HE HAD A GREAT TIME! Good training for dad too.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
My dog can lead me to a bird, but he can't make me a better shot
MASONJ
Puppy

Postby Cindy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:21 am

Sounds like Beasley has found a great furever home. Can't wait to get a hunting report after this weekend. Should be fun.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby janet909 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:23 am

Boy, I missed this thread and sure enjoyed reading it this morning. Yes, boys will be boys. I have 3 and they had their quarrels at first but now, love each other. We hunt pheasant, blue grouse and chukars with the dogs. We also hunt rabbits but with a Harris Hawk instead of guns. Sooooo, first of all, it's natural instinct for the most part. Moby, we raised as a puppy with the best blue heeler blue grouse dog ever. The problem was, the heeler was a flusher and Moby was a pointer. Somehow, they worked it out and Moby maintained his ability to point while Chena went in for the flush. Wesley was rescued at 1 1/2 years old and quickly learned to hunt and hold point with very little training. Shep, is another story. We rescued him at 8-9 years old and while he seems to be looking for game, he seems to be looking for butterflies too. He's a lover not a killer and we don't care. Last time we got into a lot of blue grouse and things got crazy, he decided to take a snooze under an aspen tree. It was actually very cute. That being said, Moby WILL NOT retrieve but Wesley will. Every dog is different but it sounds like you have a great one !!!!! When hunting rabbits, they don't point at all but chase them knowing that the hawk will be flying up from behind. They absolutely know the difference between what we're hunting and act accordingly. That's what makes brittanys great. They're just so darn smart.

Good luck with your hunting. Can't wait to hear more !!!!
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby MASONJ » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:40 pm

Hunting trip was an experience today. Beasley covered a 10 acre field in 7 minutes and passed by 3 birds w/o even looking back. next Beasley ran in a line and didnt listen to a warning tone or shock and disappeared for 45 minutes. I followed his tracks hitting the whistle and shock every once in a while. I decided to shoot a round and he came runnin fast. he was about a mile away from where we started and about a 1/4 mile away from me running full speed. I decided then that the shock needed turned up a little!!! he had calmed down then and found one pheasant hen and a chukar. Never found the pheasant rooster cause it had taken off while we were lookin for beasley! we found where it was sitting to start with. The owner of the place had foot prints next to it and told me after a while where it was.

It was an adventure and I learned that if you keep your dog closer to start with that you dont have these problems. he hasnt hunted in a year and it showed. The first bird was flagged and we almost led him to it. Then he looked like - Oh, thats what you were expecting me to do? - The rest of the day was pleasant but we were exhausted by then. I was afraid he was gone for good. I couldnt imagine him going as far as he did.

We had fun and learned a lot. Mainly that Beasley needs a little bit of a refresher!!! Cant make that stuff up! Quite the character. And now layin back on the couch where he thinks he belongs. lol
MASONJ
Puppy

Postby Cindy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:41 am

Nothing like learning a few "lessons" without have any negative repercussions! :) At least you both got your exercise. Jill has a tendency to range pretty far unless we let her know she needs to stay close right in the beginning. It's not fun looking around, not seeing your dog, and wondering if you ever will again. Now that we've worked with her she rarely goes off unless we know it's safe, but I remember a few of those scary experiences.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby rtropeano » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:28 pm

teeeheee.....all you huntin folk have nerves of steel.....I start getting nervous if Daisy gets even 50 feet away. We'd never make it in the filed LOL.

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby MASONJ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:32 pm

No nerves of steel here! I WAS FREAKING OUT! Thought my dog was gone and the ink hasnt dried on the paperwork yet. lol But Im glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way. I have seen other hunters dogs so far away there was no way they had a clue where he was. I couldnt deal with that. The hunt is over until the dog's found. Hopefully never again!!!!
MASONJ
Puppy

Postby MASONJ » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:31 pm

Here are a few pictures from our second hunt. He got the hang of things today. I did to. I lost sight of him once. I immediately shocked then fired one round into the dirt and he came running.

Beasley went 10 for 10 today. May have even found an extra one. Unfortunately, not everyone I took was hitting their birds. Beasley was a little disgusted I think but he turned out to be a great dog in the field and at home. No problems in weeks with the other dogs or barn animals. It's so nice when everyone gets along!!!

This was my son's first real hunt too. He didnt carry a gun but he did take the first bird and carried it all day.
MASONJ
Puppy

Postby Woody » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:05 pm

I just registered so I am a little late to the question but permit me to give some advice.

Most bird hunters discourage their dogs from chasing rabbits. I don't think a britt would bring a rabbit around. A beagle is slow and focused on trailing. A britt would chase and then move on. You would have to be sure that the dog wouldn't chase if it pointed and you kicked the rabbit up and shot.

I have joined a pointing dog club. That has really helped me train my dog for hunting. The britts will hunt naturally, but training gets them to do things right. By that I mean they become steady to wing, so they don't chase a bird that flushes. They can be steady to shot too, so they don't run after you shoot. And they learn to retrieve to hand. I started out having the dog bring back a ball for a treat. She is not crazy about retrieving but she will bring back the birds I shoot. I didn't want to have to use the force fetch routine because of the time and effort involved.

If you want to train the dog yourself, you can get a lot of good information from this website:

http://brittanys.com/Brittany_training.htm

Good luck.
Woody
Puppy

Postby MASONJ » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:33 pm

That web page was great training info. I have also since found that my brit does not even look twice at a rabbit. Has no clue what one is in the field. HE POINTS BIRDS LIKE A FOOL. I am going to use some of the tips in the web page and hopefully get him to hold point and retreive. I would like to run field trial with him. He creeps on me when pointing and I dont think he would do well even in amateur trials doing that.

Thanks for the info. Anyone looking to train on their own, especially starting a pup, should read this webpage.
MASONJ
Puppy

Previous

Return to Hunting/Field Trials