Re: My intro., rescue, hunting, hunt tests, etc.

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Re: My intro., rescue, hunting, hunt tests, etc.

Postby Lady Upland Hunter » Tue May 25, 2004 3:04 pm

Hi All!

My name is Cathy Ann Kedzierski and I am new to this message board. As far as Brittany rescue goes, I am a Coordinator in the Northeast for Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island & Vermont. ...and in case you are wondering, "Yes, I am busy with all these states but I do have some great Volunteers and we are all passionate about the welfare of our rescue Britts!"

Anyway, I just took note that some of you may have read the article, "Rescuing the Hunter" in the Mar/Apr issue of "Pointing Dog Journal". My photo along with my Britt, Romeo and I are pictured on the opening pages. Plus, I was interviewed for the article along with an Ohio adopter, Dick Baldwin. The amount of positive response I received from this article has been overwhelming and I thank the writer, Arch Wiseman, for giving ABR the chance to get the word out about huntin' with a rescue Britt! I have always adopted to hunting familes as long as I am certain that the Britt is going to a "companion" home first but now, the door has opened because of this article and I have received many inquiries from really good hunting families!

I am posting my introduction to this forum because I am an long time upland hunter with my Brittanys and my German Shorthair Pointers and we also participate in Hunt Tests and Field trials as well. I have worked with several ABR rescue Britts and helped them oversome gun-shyness as well as testing some in the hunt field so if anyone needs some help in this respect or wants information about getting involved in Hunt Tests, etc., I would be very happy to offer assistance.

Thanks for listening!

Cathy Ann Kedzierski (aka Lady Upland Hunter) :D
"The Perfection of a Life with a Gun Dog, like the Perfection of an Autumn, is distrubing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time Bestows the Gift and Steals it in the Process"

An Affair With Grouse
George "Bird" Evans
Lady Upland Hunter
Puppy

Postby CJ » Tue May 25, 2004 4:42 pm

It was a great write up!!! I've been a subscriber to PDJ & Gundog for several years now and I was absolutely elated with the way they brought this story across! I would have been really suprised if at least some hunters didn't look into ABR as an option for getting a hunting partner. Our eldest was gun shy when we got him (along with 1/2 dozen other issues including HW recovery) and he's turned out to be a fantastic hunter. From completely gun shy to barely containable excitement at the sight of a shotgun.... These dogs are truely incredible. Thanks for taking the time for that interview & story. It was great.
c.j.
P.S. it's nice to have another hunter chiming in!
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby juliette » Tue May 25, 2004 5:24 pm

CJ-
How do you teach a dog not to be gunshy? I thought it was something that they either were or weren't. Would it work for thunder-phobic dogs as well?
juliette
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Postby CJ » Tue May 25, 2004 6:12 pm

juliette wrote:CJ-
How do you teach a dog not to be gunshy? I thought it was something that they either were or weren't. Would it work for thunder-phobic dogs as well?

Juliette,
As far as the gun shy part..... nope... it's not a "they are or aren't" thing... it's a learned (or rather lack of) thing... behavior really. Down the same ally as socialization. Some pups aren't socialzed, or... are socialized incorrectly. Same with gun-shy. Some people just have no idea how to introduce a dog/pup to a gun and as a result... they end up with a gun-shy dog and.... (this part aggrivates me) then end up blaming it on the dog and if they're a nitwit... get rid of the dog rather than take responsibility for fixing the problem!
Steps for getting a dog out of his gun-shyness are similar (just more time consuming usually) to what should be done w/ introducing a pup to the gun. ***One other key here is what you choose to do this introduction! Things that sound like thunder or fireworks should NOT be used!!!***
I use a blank gun that takes shotgun primers as opposed to crimped .22 shells (which is very common and work well too... but primers are a lot cheaper and I think sound more like a shotgun blast than the .22's). With a pup, you start out with someone firing the gun at some distance (commonly starts at about 100 yrds) from the pup so it's no so intense of a sound, more of a curious noise than anything... then gradually move closer over time (days/weeks, not hours). This should be coordinated to be done when the dog finds and/or flushes a bird (BTW... this is started after a pup is introduced to birds!!!)... that way the dog associates the sound with something cool/fun.
With a gunshy dog... pretty much the same thing only you need more patience and time generally. I even started working it into meal time because Jake was SOOOOO gun shy. When the food when down, and he started eating... I'd pop one off around the corner or in a blanket or something. He'd look around and come to me for comfort/asurance, so then I'd love him up and have a very soothing voice... then do it again. It really didn't take long for him to get most of it behind him... The major leap past it was when I popped a bird over him. He'd gotten all into birds in short order and loved to find quail. Well... it only took one bird for him to figure out the game and that was it... He pointed, I flushed, the bird flew... boom, down it came and he saw the whole thing (when I said over him... it's an expression... I was actually in front of him), went and got the bird and it was all down hill from there... Now as I said... he's a pent up bundle of energy when he sees the shotgun come out. He just had to have time to be properly socialized to it.
As far as thunder & fireworks!?!?!? No idea... I dread the 4th of July and big storms... All of my dogs are nervous with them...
Soo... if there's anyone else out there who has a "cure" for those... please post it!
c.j.
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Barb Wright » Tue May 25, 2004 7:08 pm

Juliette:

Quoting Juliette:

Go to the Behaviour catagory, I'll post a url for a good article on things to do to help with thunder phobic dogs.
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Return to Hunting/Field Trials