Resources for getting started in field work

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Resources for getting started in field work

Postby sdenning » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Looking through the postings, it looks like one of the best books to help me get started field training my 15 month old Brittany is:

"Best Way To Train Your gun Dog, The Delmar Smith Method" by Bill Tarrant

Do you agree? Does anyone have other recommendations for books/DVDs for a novice? My pup loves to work agility and is easily trainable, but I'm looking to give him another 'job'. A job other than opening doors around the house or other mischief he can find! :) I sent him for a month of training with a gun dog trainer to get his first exposure to birds and guns with someone who really knows what they are doing. He doesn't have a really strong bird drive though - so I really want to work with him more myself for awhile.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Susan
ImageImage
Joey & Remi
sdenning
Puppy

Re: Resources for getting started in field work

Postby The Real MacKay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi. I read that Bill Tarrant book first. The Delmar Smith method is good, however it is somewhat dated. Another really good read, recommended to me by my dog's breeder as well as by upland bird hunters I know who shoot over Brittanys is: Training with Mo -- How Maurice Lindley Trains Pointing Dogs by Martha H. Greenlee. I just ordered it yesterday and I am sure that I will find very useful information within. Good luck with your dog!
The Real MacKay
Puppy

Return to Hunting/Field Trials