Zachie hunts for men!

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Zachie hunts for men!

Postby Karen_P » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:19 pm

Well, after a couple of trips to the trainer, the guy tells me "take this old guy out and hunt over him, he doesn't need anymore training". So off I go this morning with Zachie and Blaze in tow to a WMA that has a dog training area to run the dogs.

Zachie is trembling with excitement by the time we pull into the lot, so I take him first. I let him off his lead and for the first half hour or so he's wonderful, looking for birds, checking in with me frequently, coming when called. Then I run into a guy hiking, we chat for a minute, Zach comes in and meets him, and decides to hunt for him instead of me. Now, the cover is really thick, and I haven't seen more than a glimpse of him at a time since we got there, so I keep thinking he's going to check in with me any second. To find out he was a half mile away following this man, and the guy circled back to the parking lot to make sure I got Zach back.

Zach was obviously a man's dog in his life before us, and when there's a man around, I'm all but completely forgotten.

Can this be "trained" out of him or are his hunting days over before they really got started again?
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Kathy » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:16 pm

:lol: I'm not a dog trainer & I know nothing about hunting (other than that's what my husband claims to do during "turkey" and "deer" season) :wink: , but .... think of the possibilities if Zack could "hunt" men! He could find you a nice gem, or if that's not for you, then you could start your own business, "renting" Zack out to eligible women for Zack to "rustle up" a nice guy! :lol: Just look at what happened "because of Winn-Dixie"! :)

Ok, I don't mean to make fun of your predicament, but I am having a good chuckle, which I sort of needed for today.

Cheers,
-Kathy
Kathy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Karen_P » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:20 pm

You're too funny! I should have re-read the title of my post...didn't even think about it. Now if I could just get Zachie to hunt me up a nice guy!
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:46 pm

:lol: :lol: Make up your mind Karen....does he hunt birds for you or hunt guys :P :P

Well, this particular guy just led Zach to the parking lot, so that must have been a bummer.....so I would say if you keep taking him hunting BIRDS then he will decide that Mom is OKAY, and stick with you.....as long as you stick to hunting birds too :P :P
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Karen_P » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:52 pm

Barb, why can't he do both?? :lol: :lol:
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:02 pm

Karen: Looks like he already is :lol: :lol: you were just a little slow on the uptake :P Where were your "retriever" instincts :P :P

But really, I bet he much prefers "bird hunting" to "man hunting"....just keep letting him go after those birds and he will stick with you as the "bird provider" :lol:
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Lisa » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:22 pm

Karen,
Ya mind shipping Zachie out to KS for a week or so? I could really use a man hunting dog! :lol:

Britty is pretty and unusual enough looking to stop guys when we're out, but she doesn't actively go find them for me! Since she's part Border Collie, maybe I can teach her to herd them to me....hmmm....that has potential...of course, have to figure out a way for her to only select the good ones...off to see if Britty has any man herding instincts! :lol:
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby CJ » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:06 pm

Funny you should bring this up... This past weekend we were hunt testing, and the week before was intense "cramming" for the test. MDW put in quite a bit of time helping me because I couldn't handle to two together with what were were trying to accomplish (one pointing, the other honoring point, and shooting birds) at the same time... Neither one would "want" to go "hunt" with her.... They listen to her when she has either or both of them alone (most of the time!!! :roll: ), but when I'm on the scene, they want to be around me... Not sure what the deal is with that. We split the feeding between us so they don't favor one or the other for that reason, and we both give them "1 on 1 time"... I don't have any good ideas on that... it's a puzzling one.
You gals make me laugh :P with that man herding stuff. I used to use my lab pups as chick magnets way back when I was single. So maybe you've got it right with that line of thought!
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:37 pm

Thanks CJ, How'd the hunt test go?

I e-mailed the trainer to see if he has any wonderful ideas about Zach. Hopefully he has a quick fix....like shoot a couple of birds over him and he'll realize he's there to work with me and not the strange man he passed on the path.
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby CJ » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:01 pm

Karen_P wrote:Thanks CJ, How'd the hunt test go?

Well... It showed the one gapping whole in my training program.... Running CHUKARS!!!!!!!! They did great, didn't qualify, but did great. I'd worked on them with backing a lot this past week and it paid off big time, as did retrieving. Their points were nice several very snappy and staunch. Had a few covey finds, but.... the wind was horrendous one day and there was a hard time getting the birds to flush on both days. Seemed that the only birds that did flush were the ones I couldn't shoot! Which didn't help matters.
Both boys had similar play by plays. Back field birds that had to be blanked and... couldn't be retrieved, followed by bird field birds that wouldn't flush and ran like the dickens, followed by flushing birds that couldn't be shot because of unsafe fields of fire, followed by more running birds which.... were the last straw! My guys are used to rewards for their points (that being a retrievable SHOT bird), and there in lies the whole in my training régime... I need to work them towards Master level so the running bird thing at Sr. will be a snap. Plus... they'll need it if I take them to MH anyway. Ah well.... like I said, they did real well for the circumstances, I'm proud of them even if they didn't take any ribbons home. They did everything they know to do and did it well. Soo.... better luck next time.
c.j.
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Karen_P » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:37 pm

Sounds like your boys did great CJ!

Courage leaves Saturday for training. Just got off the phone with the trainer, and although we're going to talk about his potential vs. the expense of training him at his age, he said I should plan on him staying longer. :cry:

I also firmed up a date for Blaze to start training (September 4th), and he'll most definitely be gone for 3 months! :cry:

It's going to be really weird having only 2 dogs again!
Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Jacksbuddy » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:45 pm

Can you guys give me any tips on how to get Jack to hunt for women? :P

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:26 pm

Sure :!: Put a t-shirt on him that says on the back "Hi, I'm available, are you?" That ought to be a conversation starter :lol: :lol: :wink:
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby CJ » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:03 pm

Barb Wright wrote:Sure :!: Put a t-shirt on him that says on the back "Hi, I'm available, are you?" That ought to be a conversation starter :lol: :lol: :wink:

Yeah, but just make sure to put that shirt on him in a field setting. That way your more likely to "bag" a woman that already know's how essential it is to hunt...! Otherwise, you'll have to start a whole knew training program just to get her to the point where she'll let you out of the house with the gun and the dog. And.... you would also run the risk of ending up with one that wants you to go to the mall and help her pick out the 46th pair of black, low heel, close toed shoes that she absolutely has to have to go with that new dress (ergo, burning up valuable hunting time!). LOL, sorry ladies, just had to tuck that in there. I know none of you are like that :roll: (chuckle chuckle).
CJ
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Jacksbuddy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:24 pm

Good point, reason 427 why my soon to be ex wife left is "you like that dog more than me".
Needless to say my response was "well, he's always happy to see me and he never complains. So whats not to like?". :lol:

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog."
- Edward Hoagland
Jacksbuddy
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Next

Return to Hunting/Field Trials