Hunting training in Northern CA?

For all Brittany hunting/field trial discussion.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Hunting training in Northern CA?

Postby collindsey » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi everyone,
I adopted my sweet girl, Maria, 3 years ago from ABR in Texas-Oklahoma. I'm looking for someone in the Bay Area or Northern California who could help me see if she's trainable for hunting or field trials. I've never hunted, but I grew up shooting (though I'm a little rusty now!) I just think Maria would love it, and it's something I'm interested in checking out. Does anyone have a recommendation, and maybe for a group, club, or instructor with other women?

Thanks for your help!
Lindsey
collindsey
Puppy

Re: Hunting training in Northern CA?

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi Lindsey....First off, THANKS for adopting Maria :D Think the best place to get a recommendation would be from our ABR California State Coordinator. You can email her here: abr.ca@americanbrittanyrescue.org

Good luck !! And we would love to hear how it all goes :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby DLDoiron » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:52 am

Lindsay,
I will try to get some info to you tomorrow. I know of one great trainer but I have to get his info. He has hunt trained a few of the CA dogs and everyone likes him very much.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana
DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby FinnMacCool » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:38 pm

I just stumbled across this thread and I'd also like to know if there is someone or a group in Northern California (Sacramento area) who trains Brittany's to hunt.

I adopted Finn MacCool when he was 9 weeks old and I'm not certain he is full Brittany but he sure does look like one. I've never hunted a day in my life but walking him three times a day and watching him run all over with his nose to the ground, I kind of want to give it a try to see how he fares. He is almost 11 months old and I feel like I've trained him pretty well so far (come, sit, down, off, leave it, hide and seek, etc.) I don't know how many times (once today) I've been asked if I hunt with him and I'm always sad when I say no. I'd like to let him use those instincts to see if he likes it.

My friend is hunting geese this weekend and I might try to go with him... mainly to see how my pup reacts to the gun.
FinnMacCool
Puppy

Return to Hunting/Field Trials