Control Unleashed...

Is your Britt fast and agile? Stop in here to see if Agility is for you!

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Control Unleashed...

Postby Lisa » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:20 pm

Has anyone read the book yet? I know it's mostly for agility folks, but it touches a lot on teaching dogs to focus and work with distractions. I just got my copy in the mail today, and I'm soooo excited to start reading it.

I've had a few friends go to a seminar and have heard wonderful reviews about the training techniques discussed in the book. I'm hoping for a seminar near me soon. I understand that most of the techniques presented are clicker based, which I'm excited about, as I've been doing more and more work with Buster and a clicker.

Buster is really easy to work with and super focused on me, but I'll use any tricks I can pick up. Plus, I figure, there's got to be some stuff in there that might help a foster or two.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Alifaire » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:56 pm

I haven't read that book yet. I look forward to hearing your review. Right now Victor can only trial inside. I'm hoping to work on his outside control this summer.

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD
Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby patti » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:15 am

I'll have to get a copy and read it. We just started Agility (3 weeks into it) and there are horses on the other side of the fence. Shiloh is so fixated on them at the beginning of the class it's hard to get her focused. Last week when we were doing recall the trainer said your dog should come right to you unless it's Shiloh who may tear off straight for the horses! Luckily she didn't and the trainer was impressed! :)
patti
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Lisa » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:35 am

I'm only about 50 pages in to the book, but I highly recommend it!! I actually can see a lot of applications for Britty, who's not even doing agility, but does have lots of phobias and stress issues.

I'm reading the book, going..."duh, why didn't I think of that!"
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby Gwennei88 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:41 am

I don't do any clicker training. Do you think I'd still get something out of the book?
Gwennei88
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Lisa » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:18 am

I don't do any clicker training. Do you think I'd still get something out of the book?

It's really geared towards using clicker training for behavior modification, but you could easily replace the click with a verbal marker.

I'm not very far in to the book yet, got busy and haven't had a chance to read, but I think you'd definitely get something out of it. It talks a lot about WHY some dogs basically turn off their brains when they are let off leash, and how to have control of your dog when you take the leash off.

The book is basically set up as a lesson plan for a 7 week set of classes, but it's very easy to read, and makes a whole lot of sense.
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby Canned Ice » Thu May 01, 2008 9:20 am

The daycare/training center in Blacksburg just started a Control Unleashed class based off of the book. After almost a year off from agility, I'm thinking starting Buckley back with that class may be beneficial.
Buckley - I own this mountain.
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Alifaire » Thu May 01, 2008 11:14 am

It talks a lot about WHY some dogs basically turn off their brains when they are let off leash, and how to have control of your dog when you take the leash off.

Ok - I've got to get the book to see if Victor will EVER be off leash outside. :D :D :D

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD
Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Lisa » Thu May 01, 2008 11:14 am

The daycare/training center in Blacksburg just started a Control Unleashed class based off of the book. After almost a year off from agility, I'm thinking starting Buckley back with that class may be beneficial.

I'm jealous!!! I betcha Buckley would get a lot out of the class. If there were one here, I'd take Britty through it. I've heard rumors that Leslie McDevitt may hold a seminar in Houston...if she does, I'm going.
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby rtropeano » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:27 pm

I've just finished reading this book and liked it a lot. I'm thinking of trying Daisy in agility, but not until after she has achieved her CGC and I think these exercises will be helpful.

Even if you don't do agility, this book gives you methods that can be applied to daily living.

Daisy needs to learn more focus and definitely more impulse control, this book provides exercises for both that are easy to learn, even for people that are not that dog savvy.

Only thing is, the methodology is a little different than what most people are used to in terms of what behaviors will be rewarded...

If anyone else has read the book, and has any thoughts, I'd be interested in hearing them.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Canned Ice » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:13 pm

Last weekend I took Buckley to a local flyball tournament to do some control unleashed exercises and a lady came up, asked if we were doing CU, and then told me she was the inspiration for the book!!! She had approached Leslie about teaching her wilder agility students some self control. She said she called Leslie and left a message for her that there was someone doing CU exercises at a flyball tournie!!!

BTW, Buckley did great. He parked himself on his mat and kept his focus on me for over a half an hour. If we got too close to the action, he'd start to join in on the border collie chorus but for the most part he did very well with all the people, noise, and other dogs. YAH CU!!!
Buckley - I own this mountain.
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby rtropeano » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:28 am

That's great...I'm going to start working on mat exercises soon. First I have to teach "go to place".

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Me & McGillicuddy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:02 pm

Canned Ice wrote:Last weekend I took Buckley to a local flyball tournament to do some control unleashed exercises and a lady came up, asked if we were doing CU, and then told me she was the inspiration for the book!!! She had approached Leslie about teaching her wilder agility students some self control. She said she called Leslie and left a message for her that there was someone doing CU exercises at a flyball tournie!!!

BTW, Buckley did great. He parked himself on his mat and kept his focus on me for over a half an hour. If we got too close to the action, he'd start to join in on the border collie chorus but for the most part he did very well with all the people, noise, and other dogs. YAH CU!!!

Congratulations to the two of you!!
How exciting!
Wow! Wow! Wow!
Me & McGillicuddy (m&m)
Me & McGillicuddy
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Annabelle » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:53 pm

This book sounds good - I think I will have to read it!

Just found out there will be a seminar in our area in the Spring - I might have to check it out!
Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Agility