Texas Agility Shoot-Out

Is your Britt fast and agile? Stop in here to see if Agility is for you!

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Texas Agility Shoot-Out

Postby Lisa » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:07 am

Last weekend, several of our local agility clubs sponsored the Texas Agility Shoot-Out, which was a fundraiser for the National Canine Cancer Foundation. We were hoping to raise $10,000...we ended up raising $31,400! There were 210 handlers and 308 dogs entered in a total of 1238 runs over the weekend. Our raffle alone earned $5636.31. We received straight cash donations totalling $8427.62. The oldest dog competing at the trial at 16 years ol, and the youngest was 15 months and 4 days. The person traveling the furthest distance to compete was from Little Rock, AR.
http://www.texasagilityshootout.com

The Shoot-Out was a wonderful event! Each run was $15 for pre-entry or $20 day of show entry. There were over 60 day of show entries on Saturday. The classes were a sampling of classes from all the agility venues. We had a NADAC style Tunneler's course, CPE style Jumpers course, USDAA style Snooker, USDAA style Steeplechase, AKC style Standard, and ASCA style Gamblers. Placements were awarded for a "Deputy" (novice) and "Sherriff" (Advanced/Masters) division for each jump height for each class. Then, an overall champion was awarded for each jump height for each division. Judges from each venue donated their time to design courses and judge their courses. It was great to see everyone turn out for such a great cause, and it was a lot of fun to sample the different classes available in each agility venue.

Buster had a great time. We pretty much only compete in USDAA and AKC, so it was his first time seeing tunnelers. I thought his head was going to explode when he saw a course of tunnels only!! It was a very fun course, and I may have to seek out some NADAC trials to do it again. All the others were similar to or the same as classes he has run before, but they were still fun. Buster was a little distracted by being at a new venue, and we used the opportunity for a bit of training as well as ring time practice. Buster is awesome at snooker, and we placed 2nd for our jump height in that, and he got a very nice rosette for it. Overall, our jump height had some great dogs and handlers, and we ended up placed 9th out of 17 dogs overall. We had a good time and Buster and I were both exhausted!! I'm waiting for the photographer to post pictures...I glanced at them at the show, and there were some really nice ones of Buster.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Re: Texas Agility Shoot-Out

Postby Sooz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:35 pm

Congrats to you and Buster! Is there any video of Buster's runs?
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown
Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:28 pm

Great job - glad you had fun!

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Canned Ice » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:56 am

A whole course full of tunnels! Wow! I bet Buster was so thrilled. Buckley would love tunnels. Or even better, a whole course full of A-frames. :)
Buckley - I own this mountain.
Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:07 am

Sorry - no video, but I'll post a link to pics once they get posted to the web.

I seriously thought Buster's head was gonna explode with all the tunnels. He usually has a solid start line stay...I brought him to the start line, took his collar off, and I was holding him by the scruff. He was so focused on the tunnel, that I couldn't even get a sit out of him. I had planned a nice lead-out so I could get ahead of him. Instead, I had to hold on to him until the judge said go...then I just let go and took off running. He was sooooo happy!
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby Lisa » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:36 am

Here's a link to the pics - there are about 10 or so of Buster's tunneler's run. This is the first of the series, and if you just keep clicking next, you can see them all. I haven't decided which ones I'm going to buy yet...input is welcome. I love some of these pics!
http://wagntrain.exposuremanager.com/p/ ... _4_4_1_4_2
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby Cindy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:00 am

There are some really great shots but I think I like the first one of him coming out of the tunnel (#4?). I also like the one of the 2 of you taken in the very beginning. Buster sure looks focused!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:25 am

Great photos 8) 8) I LOVE the first three in sequence coming out of yellow tunnel 11, also the one coming out of tunnel 3, and the one going away from tunnel 3 where he is airborne..fabulous shot 8)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Lisa » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks guys - the photographer is still posting photos, so I think I'll wait a few more days and see if any others of Buster get posted, then I'll order some.

This photographer takes some amazing action shots, and I love some of the pics she got of Buster.
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby rtropeano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:13 am

Great pictures Lisa, my favorite is the first one coming out of the yellow tunnel (with the 11 cone showing).
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Agility