Cue-ing Obstacles

Is your Britt fast and agile? Stop in here to see if Agility is for you!

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cue-ing Obstacles

Postby rtropeano » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Just curious - do you cue every obstacle. We were just talking about this in class and I wondered if your dogs just followed your forward body motion or if you cue every single obstacle.

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Cue-ing Obstacles

Postby Lisa » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:50 pm

It depends on what type of course I'm running. In a jumpers course, I only cue jumps if he isnt' looking right at it. Mostly, I just call out directionals (back, come, here, etc) and if there's a tunnel or weaves, I cue that. In a snooker course, I cue everything, because I need him paying attention to me. Gamblers, I only cue contact obstacles and the gamble part. Standard, I cue pretty much everything except the jumps, and I cue those if he's spacing out. Pairs, I handle the same as standard. Tunnelers, I only give directionals and cue a tunnel if he seems to be having trouble finding the entrance.

If you listen close in this video of our last jumpers run, you'll hear that once we're past the weaves, I only cue direction changes and the tunnel. Since it's all jumps, and he's moving and paying attention, I don't have to tell him to jump each time. http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/s ... CT0014.mp4

It's taken us a while to get to this point, though. I use to cue every single jump, because Buster wasn't focused enough to take them on his own.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby rtropeano » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:25 pm

Thanks for those tips. We are still working through a lot of basics....right now we are focusing on front x and and tunnel work - next week I think we are going to work on weaves - Daisy has never done those yet so it ought to be interesting.

Buster is really fast, I don't know how you keep up with him and make it look easy.

Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Alifaire » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:39 am

Cueing every obstacle is usually unnecessary for Victor, but I've become a bit frantic on-course and talk too much. Victor will take the obstacles my body is moving toward [note: not always the next obstacle in the course :( ] unless he's 'locked onto' the next 3 obstacles, then it's pretty tough to call him off.

If I'm doing a lateral send, then I definitely tell him 'jump' or 'tunnel' just to be sure he doesn't follow me and miss the obstacle. I use a 'go on' command for distance and then cue every obstacle out there.

Congratulations for getting into agility. It's so rewarding and frustrating at the same time. After competing 3 or 4 years the only thing Victor cannot do is pick a competent handler - he still likes to run with Momma! I 'broke' his weaves this weekend and now need to get them 'fixed' before a huge 4-day show in Cleveland, Ohio beginning Thursday.

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD
Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby Lisa » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:25 am

Alifaire wrote:but I've become a bit frantic on-course and talk too much.

The hardest thing in the world was for me to learn to shut up on course! I finally realized that Buster was just tuning me out because I was babbling while running. And, I started watching other handlers who talked the whole run, and it annoyed me. So I started making a conscious effort to only give crucial info to Buster. Then, he started picking up speed and I couldn't get commands out quick enough or have enough air to run and talk at the same time anyway!
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby Alifaire » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:58 am

Yup - if you're out of breath when you finish a run - you're probably talking too much!

The less I talk and the quieter I am when I do speak, the better the results.

So, why can I not just SHUT UP???!!! [no reply necessary]

MACH Casabergen's Victor Gentry CD BN RE MXS MJS MXF CGC ATD
Alifaire
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Postby rtropeano » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Very valuable information - thanks to you both. During my last class I was told that I needed to cue more obstacles because Daisy was looking at me for more info... go figure - so when I started to cue the obstacles earlier - we had better success.

Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:41 pm

rtropeano wrote:During my last class I was told that I needed to cue more obstacles because Daisy was looking at me for more info... go figure - so when I started to cue the obstacles earlier - we had better success.

It all depends on the dog and what they need. Plus, if you aren't giving clear signals with your body, then verbal cues are very helpful for the dog.
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby rtropeano » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Teeehee, I'm sure I'm not giving clear signals with my body at this point, because half the time I'm not sure which way to turn myself....LOL.
I sure do hope the handling part of this sport gets easier at some point - it does get easier right??

Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Agility