Rough Day First Day Back at Agility

Is your Britt fast and agile? Stop in here to see if Agility is for you!

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Rough Day First Day Back at Agility

Postby rtropeano » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:28 pm

We had our first ATC class (can you believe I'm one class out of competition classes?? dear lord) Anyway, we did something called a "back turn" boy was that difficult.
I think I need to work on her "out" command a little more, but welcome your suggestions.

She's doing well with weave poles - finally entering correctly from both sides. She loves weaving, but it's funny - sometimes she tries to cheat to get a reward.

She'll run right down the line of weave poles and go around the last one and give me the look like , "I did it, where' my treat"....

How are you dogs doing?

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Rough Day First Day Back at Agility

Postby Lisa » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:02 pm

If your back turn is the same as what I call a back, I taught it as flatwork at first...cookie in the hand, just showing the motion I wanted from him. Once it was solid on the flat, then I started pairing it with jumps and other obstacles. We still practice them when we're just standing around. Last night, Buster actually did a back in to the weaves and it was gorgeous!!

You guys will be fine, and ready for competition soon! Just remember, it's all just a big game for the dog.

Buster and Charm had class last night. We were in the barn due to the field being flooded from rain. Buster did awesome in his class...nailing every sequence I asked for and had some great weave entries. Charm's class is a foundation class, and she's the youngest one in it. It was very distracting for her on the dirt floor, especially since we were also sharing the barn with another class. Charm did well with her sit, down, and attention. Her recalls are lightening fast, and I'm gonna have to really run with this girl when we start real training. She loves the table and tire, and just thinks all this stuff is so cool. My little monkey crashed out as soon as we got home, and slept all night through.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby rtropeano » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to save some dough to buy jumps because I don't have enough backyard equipment to make sequences.
Right now I only have a tunnel, then that one lonely tunnel can be made into a chute, a set of weave poles and a tire jump. I really don't have any jumps.

I'm surprised that Daisy is doing okay with her entries, but frankly, sometimes I have to think about it myself when we change directions? LOL.

It seems like Charm is doing great! She's such a smart little puppy and she's lucky to get an early start so hopefully you'll eliminate the "fear" factor.
And of course Buster, well, what can I say, he's a champ!

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Prediction !!! We're looking at "Champ Charm" in the not too distant future :!: :!: How fun it is to be able to be in on the progress reports 8)

Actually, we're probably watching the progress of "Champ Daisy" as well :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Return to Agility