Off courses & Call Offs

Is your Britt fast and agile? Stop in here to see if Agility is for you!

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Off courses & Call Offs

Postby rtropeano » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Daisy is doing well in her classes, getting great speed and good distance, however with the distances comes some issues, one of them being off courses.
She gets going on a line, she's on a mission and it's very hard to call her off - any suggestions. Take a look at this video, she was supposed to be a doing a serpentine but she took the blue jump which was off course.....

http://youtu.be/SM5Kd-sIXVM

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Off courses & Call Offs

Postby Lisa » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Well, I can tell you some of the things that have worked with Buster and some of the things I'm teaching Charmy....

With Buster, I call his name and stop all forward momentum until I have his head and his focus. So, on the line of jumps like you'd had, I'd have sent him over the first jump, then called his name, and once he was looking at me, then start moving.

With Charm, I'm working on lots of distance skills. So, she's learning Left, Right, and Side. Side means to come to my side, left and right, of course mean turn that direction.

Also, I noticed in the video that you were using your opposite shoulder to indicate the next jump. Often, using the opposite arm will push a dog out. If I were running Buster on that course, I'd have handled it one of two ways:
1. Blue jump, yellow jump, send to tunnel, as the dog comes out of the tunnel, stand on the landing side of the light blue jump and call the dog over, front cross on landing side of light blue jump, then yellow jump.
2. Blue jump. yellow jump, tunnel, pick up dog and send over the light blue jump, hang back and twist shoulders back away from the dark blue jump and call dog's name. Once dog turns back towards me, start running towards the yellow jump. This one requires some careful timing, as you could pull the dog in between the light blue and yellow jumps if you're not careful.

Of course, it depends on where you're going after that yellow jump, but I think the only time I wouldn't do the landing side front cross would be if I were heading to the white jumps after the yellow. If the landing side front cross isn't practical, or you're just staying on that one side to practice a skill, then I'd turn my shoulders away from the dog, stop any forward momentum and call the dog's name until I was sure I had the dog's focus and the dog wasn't going to go off course.

I try to prevent off courses with judicious use of front crosses. If that doesn't work, then a solid stop and firm HEY usually get's Buster's attention before he takes the wrong obstacle. Sometimes, though, he's just so focused that it's pretty much hopeless.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby rtropeano » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:04 pm

Ah Lisa, I see what you are saying and as a matter of fact, our instructor gave us the option of doing it the way I did it (which I had trouble with) or doing it the way you said in your first suggestion. Had I did it the way you suggested (1) she would have had to go around me to get to that jump. Only thing is I think I might have had trouble getting her to take the light blue jump out of the tunnel..... guess we'll never know :)

In the next video - haven't posted it yet because it takes so darn long - I was actually able to get her off that blue jump and into the yellow but we still didn't make the last tunnel.....

Thanks for all the tips and the careful analysis of my video.

Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:05 pm

I just got back from class tonight, so I've got agility on the brain.

You'd be surprised what dogs will do that you don't think they will. Have confidence in Daisy...she knows what she's doing! I betcha, if you'd sent her to the tunnel, then stood on the landing side of the light blue jump and called her as soon as she came out of the tunnel, she'd have taken it. I used to think there's no way I could do that with Buster, but he surprised me, so now, if I can get him in the tunnel, then I'll risk calling him over jumps as he comes out. The real challenge, of course, is when the dog gets so far ahead of you and fixated on an obstacle that there's just no calling them off...sometimes, it just happens.

Daisy looks like she's having a blast...I can't wait until y'all start trialing.

(oh - and some of my more famous call off for Buster have been nothing more than stopping and screeching at him...he stops and looks at me like I'm nuts, but it gets his attention. My best one, though, was when I forgot the course, and told Buster to "just STOP!" he turned, looked at me as if to say "get it together Mom!")
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby rtropeano » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:16 am

I love the call off that's a good one. I think it's so funny when the dogs tell their handlers off. Daisy did that to my husband this past class because he has a habit of consistently switching hands when he shouldn't....so she barked him off. Then my instructor said to Jimmy, "do you know why she's yelling at you".... She also did that to me later in the day because she wanted to take a tunnel instead of a jump. I kept saying, "no, jump" and she kept barking at me.....too funny.

We are having a really good time and that's what's important. I'm excited to see what fun runs are going to be planned this year. You'll have to start taping Charmy.....can't wait to see what she's up to.

Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Updated More Video Off courses & Call Offs

Postby rtropeano » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Here's another video http://youtu.be/DUYGt65UZFs from the same class. Almost got it.........about 10,000 more tries on this one ...teehee.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Lisa » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Very nice - I liked that "here" after the light blue jump. Much smoother in this run. For the tunnel, that's where you could have used your opposite arm to push her out to the tunnel, since she was running in towards you. If she has an "out" you could have used "out tunnel" too. She's getting it, though!!!

Charm starts her beginners class the middle of next month...I can't wait!
Image Image RIP Madi
Lisa

Postby rtropeano » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Thanks Lisa, I totally forgot about the OUT. Her "out" command is not great primarily because I often forget to use it.....I'll have to remember to do some practice on that. My instructor also mentioned that opposite arm too.......one of these days it's going to be easier.... ;)

Thanks for the tips... it's hard running with a fast dog (as you well know) there are some other really slow dogs in my class and sometimes I just want to borrow them to work on my handling skills.....

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby janet909 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:01 pm

Very enjoyable to watch Daisy....and may I add that watching her beautiful, flowing tail is especially wonderful !!!!
janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby rtropeano » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks Janet, we have a lot of fun and Daisy's a ham...she also likes doing some tricks before her agility runs....our teacher will ask for a behavior she can get rewarded for if it's been a particularly hard course....so she'll do some tricks......gotta luv it...she's very joyful in the ring and so far doesn't show a great deal of stress..which is good.
Rose

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Agility