agility?

Is your Britt fast and agile? Stop in here to see if Agility is for you!

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

agility?

Postby MaggieRocks » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:01 pm

Just curious, those of you who have done agility with their dogs-how and when do you introduce it? Our puppy, Gracie, is almost 7 months old now and does not have an "off" button!!! We went through puppy kindergarten with her. (Wasn't exactly at the top of her class, unlike our Maggie :roll: ) She is now in an obedience class. Again, not the easiest dog there to work with. But that being said, she is a very smart dog-she just has more energy than any brit we ever had! (Either that, or we are more tired than we've ever been before :lol: )

I asked the instructor about enrolling her in agility, which is also taught at this location. She said Gracie needs more self-control before starting agility, followed by "if you let her off the leash, she would be in Africa!" Gracie actually has been fairly good about coming when called, but the instructor has a point-she really has no self-control! If she sees a cat, she chases it or jumps on it. If she sees a potential playmate, she is going to run right over to him. If there is no one around to chase or play with, she will pick up sticks, leaves, nuts. And if you have food, you better guard it with your life or you're going to lose it!

So-any suggestions? I have never done agility but I think she might be good at it (if she ever grows up!)
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: agility?

Postby gagesbarb » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:13 am

I haven't done agility myself, but from listening to friends who do all kinds of dog sports, I think your instructor is probably right...there is a wonderful book, Control Unleashed, by
Leslie McDevitt. from Google-- "Leslie McDevitt's versatile Control Unleashed program is designed to help "dogs with issues" learn how to relax, focus, and work off leash reliably in either stimulating or stressful situations." I wouldn't say Gracie has "issues," but rather, is a young brittany...but the techniques described would be helpful, I think...all positive...
I remember Lisa describing an experience with one of hers (a brittany and I think it was hers) in agility..., when the dog was at the top of the A frame, he apparently caught a scent, leaped off and was gone, chasing down something...I laughed out loud and was glad I was not there :lol: Lisa teaches agility, I think, and would probably have a lot more to say about your questions...several of my friends do barnhunt and nose work with their dogs and enjoy those...we don't do competition activities, but JJ certainly enjoys sniffing things out and uses up a lot of energy doing that :D :D :D Let us know how it goes :D
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Agility