Brittany WITHOUT tail docked ?????

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Brittany WITHOUT tail docked ?????

Postby Susan » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:48 pm

I am looking for a female orange and white Brittany WITHOUT a docked tail. Is it possible to find a breeder who does not dock tails? If not, is it likely I can find a breeder willing to refrain from docking the tail? Any advice is welcome... Thanks, Susan
Susan
Puppy

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:19 pm

Hi Susan....we often get Britts into rescue that do not have docked tails :) Check out the dogs in foster homes and dogs in shelters on our main web page. Sometimes the pictures will show the undocked tail or it may be mentioned in the history. Think rescue....you will find what you wish for 8) :D

Just curious.....why do you want that particular feature????
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Susan » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:32 pm

I just don't like the idea of a docked tail, and I do like the idea of a full tail wagging. I really hope to find a female puppy - that's far more important than being a pure breed. I will continue to look in all our area shelters, as well as your web pages. Thanks, Susan
Susan
Puppy

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:48 am

Well, you might try a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.....they look somewhat like a Brittany, but are about 1/2 the size, and have a long tail. Just a thought....good luck on your search :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Lisa » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:02 am

You probably won't be able to find a responsible breeder that either doesn't dock, or won't dock just for one buyer. Mainly because not only is the docked tail is the breed standard, but it's done so young that you and the breeder would have to agree which pup you're buying when they are only a day or two old.

However, if you take a look at the dogs in foster homes, there are a handful with tails - I think most of them are males right now, though. But keep checking. I've fostered a handfull with tails.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD
Lisa

Postby Susan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:06 am

Thank you very much. I will continue to check rescue regularly. Thanks for the advice, Susan
Susan
Puppy

Postby AuntieMom » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:34 pm

Jake in NJ is adorable.
ImageChiizu!
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby rtropeano » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:34 pm

Susan wrote: I really hope to find a female puppy - that's far more important than being a pure breed.

If I may ask, and this is not meant to offend you, why is gender important? In my experience with volunteering at shelters and/rescue etc., I have found that it is far better to evaluate a dog or a puppy based on their temperament, and behavioral characteristics, not on gender alone.

The reason why I say this is I'd hate to see you miss out on your perfect match, simply because it happens to be a he rather than a she.

Good luck in your search - I hope you find what you're looking for :)

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F
rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Dave » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:50 am

[img][img]http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/7066/tugofwar07rs0.th.jpg[/img][/img]
Like this . This is Abby at one year old . She was 7 months when I fostered her . We do get them . Be patient and Thanks for thinking Rescue . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Susan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:29 am

Thank you Dave.
Susan
Puppy

Postby hublerl » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:18 pm

My Brit was born without a tail! No docking involved! Sometimes I can't even tell if hes happy or mad...but hes a brit! Do they really get mad?

hublerl
Puppy

Return to Health/Medical