senior dog issues

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

senior dog issues

Postby MaggieRocks » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:06 pm

Sammy is now 15 1/2 years old. Had him in for his 6 month checkup in Dec, and "parts" of him are doing remarkably well according to the vet. She did a blood panel on him to check liver/kidneys, etc and he passed everything with flying colors. Has a strong heart beat. His appetite is good, although he has lost weight. He did have a bladder infection but took antibiotics for that and is now good.

But oh, the accidents he has in the house! When we get up in the morning, we've learned that the first thing one of us does is pick him up and rush out the door with him to prevent an accident! But here's the issue-there is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to when he has to pee or poop, even though his schedule is the same every day-same amount of food at the same time. We even kept a record of it for about 2 weeks, hoping to find a pattern that maybe we were missing, but there is none. One day,he'll poop 2 times. The next day, he'll poop 4 times. One night, we'll take him out at 11pm, he'll do everything, and he'll be ok till 5am. The next night,we'll take him out at 11pm and he'll do everything, but then he'll be up at 1:30 to pee and again at 3:30 to pee. One morning we'll wake up, and he's peeing before we can even pick him up. The next morning we'll take him out and nothing. Feed him, take him out again and nothing. Get ready for work, my husband takes him out and nothing. I get our lunches together and take him out one last time before leaving and nothing. Then my husband comes home at lunch and of course, Sam has gone in his crate by then. The poor boy-every time he stands up, one of us grabs him and runs out the door with him! He is probably thinking,"I just wanted to stretch my legs and get a drink!"

We crate him when we're at work for his safety. (If he slips on the floor, he sometimes falls and can't get up even though at this point, we have rugs all over the place!) It's a good thing we have extra dog beds, because I end up washing beds every other day. I've thought about getting doggie diapers. Anyone use them? But I worry that if he pees shortly after we leave for work, he'll be stuck with a wet diaper till my husband gets home at lunch. At least if he goes on his bed, he has some wiggle room to get away from the wet spot. Sometimes it seems like he has to pee every 2 hours, and the next time, he'll hold it for hours and hours and we don't think he'll ever go! Anyone go through this with a senior dog and have any helpful suggestions? (Other than buying the steam cleaner for the carpet, lol!)
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: senior dog issues

Postby Cindy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:49 am

We've totally done the diaper routine with several dogs but never a male. The diapers are like pampers (in fact, I've made my own using pampers) so they have that absorbent stuff and then a liner so the dogs doesn't really get wet unless they pee a whole bunch. I have used a belly band on a male dog and put sanitary pads inside and that works equally well. All that being said, nothing I've used would help with containing poop but maybe someone else knows about that.

PS If you haven't discovered this already, they make waterproof dog bed liners so all you have to wash is the cover and it protects the actual soft bed part.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby MaggieRocks » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:19 pm

We do have one waterproof liner. The other beds, I confess-we put the bed in a garbage bag, put the bed & bag in the cover, and then stick a towel in between the bed cover & garbage bag for extra absorption. We currently have 4 beds that we keep rotating as needed. Don't know how long they'll hold up as often as they've been washed lately, but so far, so good.

I might have to take a look at diapers. But yes-I was wondering if belly bands would be sufficient or if diapers would be better. The poor boy-I want him to be comfortable, and can't imagine wearing something like that would be comfy.
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:53 pm

We used a belly band on a friend's dog who insisted on marking in our house! He didn't seem to be bothered by it at all and it definitely took care of the problem. The one we had was made out of some kind of nylon type material and it had a tendency to get scrunched up. It's definitely a good idea to have a couple belly bands to help with the laundry issue. Placing sanitary pads inside helped with that a bit but not completely. I'm assuming you've already done some research about available products but just in case I found some useful information on these sites:

https://www.seniortailwaggers.com/old-dog-incontinence.html#Managing

https://www.seniortailwaggers.com/dog-incontinence-products.html#Washable
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:36 am

Just wondering how Sammy is doing and if you've found a strategy that helps with his accidents...or at least minimize the clean ups...He is lucky to have you and your patience with him...
though I know, having been through dealing with all the challenges of older dogs and cats, as frustrating as it can be, all the positives they give us through their lives makes it worth
everything...I've been reading lately about how counting your blessings and being grateful is so good for you, and our fur-friends are certainly a blessing...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby MaggieRocks » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:20 pm

We broke down and bought a Hoover carpet cleaner on Sat. Used it Sunday, and it actually did an impressive job. By Tues, Sammy had already peed on the carpet twice and pooped on it once :( But that's ok-we just deal with it. I suggested to my husband that we try doggie diapers at night, because that is when we are least likely to catch accidents. His reply was, he thought that would be uncomfortable for Sammy to wear, and that he'll continue to sleep on the couch so he can hear if Sammy gets up in the middle of the night, and he'll clean the carpet once per month, if necessary. It seems when it comes to Sam, my husband has the patience of a saint!

All I can say is, mornings are hectic at our house. We get up by 5:30am, run the dogs out, get the dogs and cats fed, give Sammy his arthritis med, give one cat her hyperthyroid medication, give another cat ear drops for his ear infection, scoop litter pans, run the dogs out again, give Emma her Kong, get Sammy in his crate and leave for work by 6:45! Sometimes it's good to get to work so I can sit down!!! :lol:
MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Postby Cindy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:25 pm

Been there, done that with senior and/ sick pets. I can say without a doubt that you BOTH have the patience of a saint. So happy you can go to work and get a break. Hope you rested up for the weekend :D
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby gagesbarb » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:45 pm

Agree with Cindy!!! All the fur-babies in your house are very lucky to be in your family! :D :D :D
And from what I've read, the guys in Cindy's house are also pretty lucky :roll: :lol:
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Return to Health/Medical