HELP - Paws - Pain - Senior

Health and Medical topics may be posted here.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

HELP - Paws - Pain - Senior

Postby canjar » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:15 pm

I'll try to explain this quick and simple.

My Lucy is 12 yrs old, increased liver enzymes, she finished her expensive meds to bring her counts down (including antibiotics for her feet), no sign of tumors / cancer.
1. x-rays and blood work show no answers as to why her liver is working overtime, so i cant throw pain relieving meds her way due to her liver
2. vet says to make her life comfortable

It's her paws and arthritis that is kicking her butt. Ive never seen / experienced a dog with the paw condition that she currently has:
1. dry crusty scabs around the nails
2. paws split and crack easily
3. even the condition / texture of hers paws are ... crusty
4. vet says the liver can be responsible for her paws being bad shape

She has also developed scabs around other parts of her body (corners of her lips, corner of her eyes, parts of her body)
1. been bathing her with medicated shampoo for her feet, but they're not getting better

Curious if anyone has experienced strange paw conditions before? I've read poor paw conditions could result in her body being unable utilise / hold onto a certain vitamin

She hurts when she walks, and she rarely walks on her own. I want to fix her but i dont know how, i fear her time is nearing an end.
ataboy's Lucy killed da Wabbit
11/09/2005 ~ 03/14/2018
canjar
Puppy

Re: HELP - Paws - Pain - Senior

Postby Cindy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:57 am

Ugh - that sounds really painful. I've never had experience with any of that but I have a suggestions for the crusty cracked paws and other parts. Bag Balm! It comes in a green square metal container and they sell it in a variety of places including farm supply stores, tack stores, etc. I've even seen it in Bed Bath and Beyond as well as Ace Hardware. I'd be tempted to put it on her paws and then put baby socks on to keep her from licking it off. You might want to secure the tops of the socks using vet wrap or easy to remove tape. I hope you can find some relief for Lucy.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:33 pm

Agree with Cindy that Bag Balm would work as a good palliative for the feet....it is soothing and has some antiseptic properties that will help prevent infection in the open cracks. Do be sure Lucy won't be able to lick the ointment off. That would be true of any topical you administer. The medicated shampoos are usually very drying and in this case might even exacerbate the drying/cracking problems. However, any topical ointment or treatment is not a cure and will only make Lucy a bit more comfortable. The scaling and scabbing can be the body trying to get rid of toxins that the organs are failing to expel, and also indications of serious nutritional deficiencies, again because certain organs are not functioning well.

With a diagnosis of liver disease and probably some likely kidney dysfunction you are in a tough spot to try to get through this without the help of a vet that is well versed in NUTRITION as well as medicine. Here is a web site that has a wealth of information for you to learn and take an active part in providing comfort and care for these very difficult and problematic health issues. http://www.dogaware.com/health/liver.html

You really will need to consult with a vet nutritionist before administering supplements as some supplements are contraindicated if prescribed medicine is also being used, or if certain diseases are the diagnosis.

I hope you get some personal experience info from some of our members. My sympathies go out to you, this will be a tough one to see Lucy through.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby canjar » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Thanks for the info. Driving out of town tomorrow to get some Bag Balm as my area doesnt carry it. It's been a long time since i was on this board, but i remember the people on here being extremely knowledgable.

Thanks Barb and Cindy,
Ivan
11/09/2005 ~ 03/14/2018
canjar
Puppy

Postby canjar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:45 am

In case this information might help anyone else.

https://dogappy.com/dog-liver-disease-symptoms

This second link contains information that is kicking her butt. Explains / describes her condition exactly ...
https://wagwalking.com/condition/hepatocutaneous-syndrome#_=_
11/09/2005 ~ 03/14/2018
canjar
Puppy

Postby Barb Wright » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:57 am

Thank you for the link to Wag Walking....it was certainly educational and does seem to support what you have described with Lucy. Does your vet concur?? I for one would really like to know if there is a definite diagnosis and what protocol is recommended. Hope you can share that info with us.....paws crossed that you can keep Lucy comfortable and get a healing process to move forward with.
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby canjar » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Final vet consult was today. Underlying issue is the liver. Heptacutaneous syndrome is due to liver failing (there is a procedure for this syndrome but it's only palliative). Despite medical and nutritional intervention, she's gone from walking in January to be carried outside and food and water being brought to her. It's been a steep decline .... Final steak dinner for a champion tomorrow ....
11/09/2005 ~ 03/14/2018
canjar
Puppy

Postby Cindy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm so sorry :cry: :cry:
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby Barb Wright » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:03 pm

So very sad to hear that news.....sincere condolences for this sad time that has come :(
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby gagesbarb » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:59 pm

tears as I read this...I know how much you hurt :(
Clearly, you love her very much and I'm sure she know that...
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby canjar » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Last edited by canjar on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
11/09/2005 ~ 03/14/2018
canjar
Puppy

Postby Barb Wright » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:38 pm

That was oh sooooo beautiful. Beyond words.
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby Cindy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:54 am

Lucy sure looked like she lived life to the fullest.
[url]Image[/url]
Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Postby AuntieMom » Sun May 06, 2018 4:35 pm

Ivan, I just saw this post. I am so very sorry about Lucy. I know how much you loved her. It is so hard when they get old. (((HUGS)))

(PS - your son is adorable.)
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie
AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Return to Health/Medical