Need to change food???

For all off topic chats.

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Need to change food???

Postby Ahaaswi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:09 pm

Hi....when I got Sheena (my Bengal), I had an 8 month old Bombay who had transitioned nicely from Iams to Merrick dry & wet food. Then I got Sheena when she was 7 weeks old and the breeder had weaned the kittens onto Purina One Smart Blend Salmon & Tuna dry food and Friskies Ocean Whitefish & Tuna Pate wet food https://petbibles.com/wet-cat-food-for-older-cats/ . I've always had my cats on grain free high quality food. I attempted to gradually change her diet which coincided with her 2nd 3-in-1 shot. She got so sick and I didn't know if it was from the shot, or from the food change. Sick to the point that the vet wanted to put her on I.V. fluids because she wouldn't eat anything. I immediately changed back to the Purina One and Friskies. She smelled her food and gagged. It was terrifying..she was a 2.8 ounce skeleton. The day I was to bring her back to the vet for the I.V. fluids, she started eating again. That was Day 5 and it took a good week more for her stools to become normal again. Both my cats were eating the Purina One and Friskies, because I couldn't feed two different foods. This made me uncomfortable, but they were both pooping normally. Two months later, I attempted to switch again. I read that Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural was very good for Bengals who are known to have sensitive stomachs. Same thing....(just my Bengal) vomiting & diarrhea. Back to the Purina One and Friskies again. Last week, I decided that if they were going to eat Purina One Smart Blend Salmon & Tuna dry food, I may as well get the Purina One wet food so at least I stick with the same company. I bought the 3 oz cans of salmon and tuna. They don't come mixed in the wet food, so I had to buy them separately. I mixed a teaspoon of the Purina One salmon into their Friskies wet food and immediately after eating the salmon, Sheena threw up everything. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I really don't want them eating this crappy food. My Bombay is fine with anything, but Sheena is so sensitive. Is it really bad that they continue to eat this low quality food? Help! Thx.
Last edited by Ahaaswi on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ahaaswi
Puppy

Re: Need to change food???

Postby Barb Wright » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:31 pm

I believe you are talking just about cats....right?? I would suggest you post your questions on a forum that is cat specific where you would probably get more responses, though some of our members have cats and perhaps may address your questions. My limited experience with cats was they preferred wet food and I had no digestive issues with them.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13
Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Postby gagesbarb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Good suggestion from Barb...but, I have always had cats (though most have not been "pure bred") as well as dogs...My understanding is that the more important thing in feeding them is to use wet food to get more liquid in them. As for brands, I have used a number of different ones but have not had problems, other than they have definite likes and dislikes. I might compare the ingredients in all the different foods you have used, as well as the amounts of protein, fat, etc. See if you get any clues from that...My Britt has a sensitive stomach and that's what I have done to try to figure out what he tolerates and what he doesn't...Good luck!
gagesbarb
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Postby Sean harris » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:00 am

I have 2 Brits, 7 months old from same litter, when I received them at 12 weeks I started then on blue diamond essentials now with that said, these are my first Brits send they are so amazing, the female does ok with this diet although her brother does extremely well . She seems to run more towards the Springer spaniel side so that make a difference, considering I had a Springer I can definitely see the resemblance.
Sean harris
Puppy

Postby StiffPaste6 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:13 am

Thank for good information)
StiffPaste6
Puppy

Return to Off Topic