VERY Sensitive When Touched

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

VERY Sensitive When Touched

Post by Cindy »

We've had this weird thing happen with Jill on several occassions and I'm just wondering if anyone has an idea what it might be. This is a typical example: Last night we got home from visiting John's sister. All of the dogs went swimming and playing at their house but settled down for a snooze while we watched a movie. When we left their house, the dogs jumped up into the car and everything "seemed" normal. We got home, I opened the car, they ran into the yard for their last pitstop of the night, then came into the house. John reached down to give Jill a pat and she started squealing like he was hurting her. Then she went into Kayla's crate in the bedroom. She NEVER goes in the crate but we decided to leave her there. When Kayla finally decided to hide under the bed (we were having a bad thunderstorm) Jill came out and jumped up on the bed. She didn't go in her usual spot but pressed right up next to me and stayed there the entire night. At one point I tried to push her to a better location and she yelped again. This morning she's perfectly fine. She had a similar reaction when she had anesthesia to have her toenail removed but other times there just didn't seem to be any particular situation. The senstivie area does NOT seem to be near her head, more toward her back and/or rear quarters. We can't figure it out. We do know that she does not like to be treated roughly at all but she can sure deal it out. Sometimes she'll squeal if we have to pick her up quickly to move her someplace, like into the car or off the couch. She plays more roughly then the other dogs and never seems to get hurt doing it. We "think" she may have been treated roughly in her past life and she can be a bit of a baby/drama queen. But when this comes out of nowwhere it just baffles us. Thoughts??????
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

After all that activity she could have some tender muscles , or possibly a pinched nerve . Give her an aspirin and just leave her be for a day and see if it subsides . You might look into acupuncture or possibly a Chiropractic vet practicioneer .

It's also a possibility she got stung by a bee or hornet , but the site would be swollen . Those are just my thoughts . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

Hmmm....am thinking you can rule out an actual injury....injuries don't "come and go", nor heal overnight. Sounds like a chiropractic examination would be a good idea.

Another thought is muscle spasms....these can come and go very rapidly, but still leave tenderness when the spasm ceases. I speak from personal experience, as well as having had these problems from time to time with my sled dogs. What worked wonders for me, and the dogs, was a calcium/magnesium supplement. I would venture that since these "events" with Jill seem to occur after exercise of any sort, that the muscles very likely would benefit from a broad spectrum mineral supplement. And magnesium is a key mineral for the muscles....worth a try anyway. But not to supplement magnesium by itself...it should be with calcium in the proper percentage, or in combo with other minerals. If after 2-3 weeks of supplementing recommended dosages you see no improvement I would stop the supplement...it was not the answer.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Fancy
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

VERY sensitive when touched...

Post by Fancy »

Barb Wright wrote:I speak from personal experience, as well as having had these problems from time to time with my sled dogs. What worked wonders for me, and the dogs, was a calcium/magnesium supplement. And magnesium is a key mineral for the muscles....worth a try anyway. But not to supplement magnesium by itself...it should be with calcium in the proper percentage, or in combo with other minerals.
Barb ... do you have a medical background (either with humans or dogs)? I've only been on the discussion boards a couple of months now but you always seem so knowledgeable. I'm a terrible pill taker (forgetfullnes or laziness, not sure :oops: )but after reading your comments above (and having muscle aches too darn often :( ) I'm thinking I really need to get my act in gear and make a more deliberate effort to take my multi's. Thanks for the kick in the pants :wink:

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

We "think" she may have been treated roughly in her past life and she can be a bit of a baby/drama queen. But when this comes out of nowwhere it just baffles us.
Could be a little of both....drama queen and actual pain. I'd probably has a veterinary chiropractor to take a look and see if there's anything out of alignment. If not, I'd go with a doggie asprin and rest, and the assumption that she's being a drama queen.

I've got a foster here now, and my vet's official diagnosis is that "she's a weenie." I was petting Madi one night, and apparently she didn't want me petting her belly, and screamed at me when I touched her. Since she had a vet appointment the next day, I asked my vet to check her tummy...there was nothing wrong, and she was behaving fine...she's just overly dramatic when you do something that she doesn't like or want done.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD