Why is Orion lying in front of the door like this?

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Why is Orion lying in front of the door like this?

Post by holisticmom »

In the last few weeks, Orion, my 11.5 y.o. O/W guy, has taken to napping in front of the door from the garage to the kitchen when I have to leave him home alone. He's never shown any signs of separation anxiety before, and used to peacefully nap on the sofa. I'm concerned because the door opens in, he's been leaning against it, and I don't want to whack him with it. I also confess that I feel guilty when I come home and find him there. Not as if these Brit boys and girls are con artists...I'm not giving him any special treats to make me feel better, though. He's checked out perfectly fine by the vet. He's seeing ok, and I don't think his hearing's an issue. I honestly can't think of any new stress. We do a lot of SSDD around here. Thanks!
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Kayla has started doing the same thing at our house and it's the door from the garage into the kitchen! When I got down on my hands and knees I noticed a VERY samll crack under the door with a bit of breeze coming through. I think it has something to do with suction and the air conditioning running. On the other hand, Kayla does not like being left behind so she might just be waiting for us. I always knock really loud before opening the door though!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

My first thought too was that it is probably cooler there. Older dogs seem to not have as efficient cooling and any small draft would help with that. It really doesn't seem like an "anxiety" sign, more of a finding the best spot for waiting. Right now cooler might be better to him than softer :wink:

Might get into the habit of tapping on the door before you open it...that would be enough to warn him that the door is about to be opened so that he can move in time.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Madi, my old gal, loves to lay in front of doors. She'll stick her nose at the base of the door and sniff and sniff. She's a little odd.

Anyway, I've just accepted that she's odd and she's going to lay in front of doors, so any time I go to open a door, I open it a crack to see if she's there, and if she is, I lightly tap her with the door and tell her to move. If she doesn't, I just slowly keep opening the door and she'll eventually get up. It's especially fun when she lays in front of the shower door and I'm trying to get out!!
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

Ok, cooler makes a lot of sense. The start of this pattern coincided with the warming of the weather. Orion's my first Brit (I grew up with a schnauzer and lived to tell :shock: ) and I'm also learning what's part of maturing and what needs to be brought to the attention of the lady in the green coat who sticks needles in his butt :D. Thanks!
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland