House training a puppy

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

House training a puppy

Post by Dave »

OK , it's been awhile sice I housetrained a girl Brittany puppy . I know take her out frequently . These little girls squat and pee so quickly it's hard catching them before they've already gone :roll: :? .

I got little Miss Christmas aka "Holly" , home and she was doing OK . I got watching TV and I did see her go by sniffing . I got up about in time to go get something to clean up after her .

She's a little fire ball , playing with Levi . I stopped and got her a new pink collar on the way home . Her new trial home never got her one . I don't feel bad they didn't keep her . I've only got one new picture of her . She stopped playing long enough to chew a nylabone for awhile . :P :lol: Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

:lol: :lol: I always just tether new dogs to me for the first day or so - saves me so much cleaning!!! Plus, with 3 of my own, one of which is older, I'm always taking dogs out to potty and the pup (or un-housebroken adult) gets lots of chances to go outside and be right by pottying outside.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Tglaub
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Tglaub »

Lisa wrote::lol: :lol: I always just tether new dogs to me for the first day or so - saves me so much cleaning!!! Plus, with 3 of my own, one of which is older, I'm always taking dogs out to potty and the pup (or un-housebroken adult) gets lots of chances to go outside and be right by pottying outside.
I second this training method
We just trained Phinny in Aug. He was doggie door trained by his foster but we have cats and the doogie door is not open much. I bought one of those longer leashs and it worked out that I had a week off work when we got him. I kept him on a leash and watched him at all times. He also had to learn not to chase the cats. He stayed with me all the time. It only took him a few days to figure out that "go potty" and a scratch at the back door got him outside. He also followed the older boys. He had a few pee accidents the first few days. But we did not leave water out for him. We would offer him a drink and then 20 minutes later ask if he needed to go potty and he picked up on it really quick. He is very smart and eager to learn. He slept in a crate in our bedroom and he would sleep thru the night so we knew he could hold it that long. There were times that he would get to playing hard with the other boys and "forget" and have an accident.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I have a small house , but might resort to tethering her to me :lol: .

We already rationed the water . Nerves and being in a kennel has brought out the nervous drinking . I've seen it dozens of times with new fosters . It's a side effect of being in a shelter . If they knock their water over in shelters , they might not get anymore all day . :? Dave
-Will Rogers

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

How about giving her something for her anxiety for the next few days? I think it really helps when I've got one that is like little Miss Holly.

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

I thought about giving her a shot of Jack Daniels :roll: :lol: . She's calming down and sleeping well in her crate . I think Holly Bell will be OK . 8) Dave
-Will Rogers

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

Let us know if the Jack works. I know a few others that could use a shot. :wink: :wink: