Toilet drinking

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

plkoslov
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Toilet drinking

Post by plkoslov »

Sheeeese, Louise..... these Brits are TOO clever. My Beau insists on toilet drinking so we started a new rule of putting the lid down always. Now I keep hearing "BANG," as he goes in and, with his nose, just lifts the lid high enough to still get a drink and then lets it drop... DH says we could put books on the toilet lids, but really! How inconvenient is that?! :lol:
Beau
[Image
Life is So Hard....

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Why don't you keep the bathroom door closed? That's the only thing I can think of other than the books. (And any guests might wonder why you spend so much time in the bathroom that you're reading books, lol!)

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

That's too funny ... or I'll think so until my dogs learn to lift the lid!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

:lol: :lol: Yep, pretty funny and pretty darn smart.....seems a shame to put the kibosh on such a clever intellectual achievement :P :P You might try adding some vinegar to the water after each flush....might work, but then, some dogs like vinegar :lol: You can also not flush quite so often...I know :roll: but it would be a deterrant :wink: Actually, considering some of the "grooming" habits of dogs and some of the really icky things they like to eat or roll in, the toilet bowl water falls well below the truly disgusting level IMO :P :lol:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

plkoslov
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by plkoslov »

I agree - there are much worse things than toilet water - and Beau seems to find those, too! :oops: We tried keeping the doors closed, but that's hard at night because we forget they are closed and - well, you know... life is tough with a smart Brittany. :D
Beau
[Image
Life is So Hard....

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

plkoslov wrote:...life is tough with a smart Brittany. :D
:lol: :lol: But OH!!! so interesting, never a dull moment :P :wink:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

plkoslov wrote: ... life is tough with a smart Brittany. :D
I agree! The booby trap I set for Emma in the bathroom worked for about a week. I put an empty soda can on the roll of toilet tissue to keep her from grabbing the end of the roll and running! Well lately...she just grabs the soda can and goes trotting around the house with THAT in her mouth! I just can't win!

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

MaggieRocks wrote:
plkoslov wrote: ... life is tough with a smart Brittany. :D
Boy next time I get a Brittany, I'm looking for a dumb one, if that exists :lol:

I left Daisy gated in my kitchen for the first time this week, I made sure to put everything away, etc. I locked the door and left to run a short errand. I was gone about 1 hour 20 mins. That little bugger figured out how to open the kitty door (I have a 4 ft gate with a kitty door in it) and was hanging out in the living room when I got home.

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I'm just sitting hear laughing about all of these stories and thinking that it might be a solution for keeping our minds sharp as we age - just have a Brittany around. You always have to stay 2 steps ahead of them which requires much fore thought and creative problem solving!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

Buckley does the same thing with the toilet. I think the lid fell back on him a few times and luckily he stopped. It sure doesn't stop him from drinking out the toilet if the lid is up though. One morning, he watched me put down a fresh bowl of water, looked at it a second, then turned around and went for a drink from the toilet. I guess the toilet water has more flavor. :oops:
Buckley - I own this mountain.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Have you got a light plastic lid or a heavy porcelain lid? Does the toilet seat go all the way around or have a break at the front? I don't think Lola could get her nose under the lid at our house and its pretty heavy. I suppose if you wanted to go to the trouble maybe you could change these things. But then again, Lola drinks from mud puddles, swamps, steams. Toilet water is probably isn't that bad.

I taught Lola that she isn't allowed in the bathroom. She's never been in there and now that she's 3 she doesn't ever even try - there is nothing in there that interests her. The bathroom door is never closed and the toilet lid is never down (I know, braggin' again).

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

I've seen a toilet clip sold in catalogs that have children's safety items in them. They may be at ToysRUs, etc too.

It's just a clip that keeps the lid and seat tightly together, so it's much harder to lift than just the lid alone. And it's easy for adults to remove.

Here's a link to a website that has them (there are many):

http://www.mypreciouskid.com/toilet-lock.html

On this site they're $7.99 each.

Worth a try, anyway.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

jenny26
Puppy

Post by jenny26 »

my buckley will occasionally drink toilet water if the lid is left up, but mostly he just likes to look in the toilet and see what you left in their after you are done using the bathroom...very disturbing!! :shock: :) he's curious about everything...

good luck with the lid lifting problem-i think the toilet locks are probably your best bet but they could be annoying in the middle of the night!

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

8) "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" had a possible solution last season. They built a home for a family that did rescue work. In the part of the house dedicated to the dogs, they installed toilets for them to drink from. 8)
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

I wish I'd seen that episode!

When I was in college I dog sat for a Dalmation that had her own bathroom and toilet. No one else was allowed to use it. To give her fresh water, all I had to do was flush!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown