Buster Cube & Tricky Treats

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Hayley's Mom
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Buster Cube & Tricky Treats

Post by Hayley's Mom »

Hi

There have been several threads that mention Buster Cubes. Awesome idea, but since our floors are all hardwood and ceramic tile, hard plastic toys like Buster Cube are annoyingly LOUD!

So thought I'd mention another one called Tricky Treats that's great if you have hard floors. Like the Buster Cube it requires quite a bit of persistance to get the treats out -- but it's round, with big dimples for grip, and it's a slightly softer plastic (bright orange) that is much quieter.

Hayley rolls it all over the place. She also figured out that if she tosses it in the air that a bit sometimes bounces out when it hits the ground!

She's a seriously tough chewer but has yet to harm her new toy.

I found it at PetSmart.

Hayley's Mom!

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buster Cube & Tricky Treats

Post by Mark »

Hayley's Mom wrote:Hi

There have been several threads that mention Buster Cubes. Awesome idea, but since our floors are all hardwood and ceramic tile, hard plastic toys like Buster Cube are annoyingly LOUD!

So thought I'd mention another one called Tricky Treats that's great if you have hard floors. Like the Buster Cube it requires quite a bit of persistance to get the treats out -- but it's round, with big dimples for grip, and it's a slightly softer plastic (bright orange) that is much quieter.

Hayley rolls it all over the place. She also figured out that if she tosses it in the air that a bit sometimes bounces out when it hits the ground!

She's a seriously tough chewer but has yet to harm her new toy.

I found it at PetSmart.

Hayley's Mom!
Thanks for the tip! Monty is a tough chewer, and over the holidays, my mom (or maybe it was Santa? ;) ) got him this purple bottle, with a hard rubber "rope" going into it. You put the treats in the bottle, and he has to pull them out with the "rope". The lady behind the counter told my mom it was "indestructible". Within 15 minutes, Monty had it in pieces.. doh!

I'll give a Tricky Treats a try, as we have the same issue with the buster cube.. Monty whacks it against the walls, furniture, etc.. and its annoying, and can be damaging.
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Re: Buster Cube & Tricky Treats

Post by Barb Wright »

Mark wrote:...Monty whacks it against the walls, furniture, etc.. and its annoying, and can be damaging.
:lol: :lol: Consider this as pre-conditioning and de-sensitizing training for what's coming your way in the near future :P :P :wink:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Just beware with the tricky treat ball, most dogs I know, Daisy included, like to pick it up with their mouths and throw against the wall, etc. to get the treats out.

I have the Tug a Jug (what you describe above), but it has the regular rope (not the rubber one). So far is has held up. Maybe you could return yours to the company and get the one with the "real" rope.

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

We have another one too. ORKA brand. Gilbert loves it. I have 2 of the balls. They have other shapes too, some come with ropes.

StaceyM
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by StaceyM »

I recently bought the Tug a Jug for Molly and she loves it! She did end up chewing off parts of the rubber "rope" though so I have to watch her more carefully when I give it to her. I think if it was a real rope she'd shred that too!! :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll have to give Tricky Treats a try!
*Molly*

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Annabelle »

Jack had the tug a jug with the real rope. The rope seemed to be so tightly wound that the rope was gone after 15 minutes of play. We still use it occasionally without the rope - just really big piece of treats that are hard to come out.

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Annabelle »

What size did Tricky treat ball did you get?

Pet Supply House (in canada) has all their toys 20% off this month and they have the tricky treat balls

jenny26
Puppy

Post by jenny26 »

i just got buckley a buster cube and he loves it!! its so cute to watch. but it is pretty loud, even on the carpet. i saw the tricky treat too but i was afraid he would chew it up, as he has an affinity for rubber...

Hayley's Mom
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Hayley's Mom »

Annabelle wrote:What size did Tricky treat ball did you get?
I got the large size for Hayley ... it's just right. The small was pretty small.

She can pick it up with the dimples, but not get the whole thing in her mouth.