Thank God I found this forum!!

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Re: Thank God I found this forum!!

Post by Ron »

On the crate, we got one from Tractor Supply store. Remington dog crate large one . I think it cost about $69.00 . We use it for Roy ,who we adopted from ABR. He has lots of room in it . Roy is big boy 55 lbs. and tall. Hope this helps!!. :wink: Ron

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Absolutely get the crates before you get them fixed!! You will need to keep them quiet for a couple of weeks, AND in the house. I don't envy you right now, everyone of us knows what you are going through, but once you get through this age, there's nothing better than Brittanies. Read up on crate training, it can be so hard, or it can be very easy, my fingers are crossed for you that they both do well. Keep us posted on how you're doing!
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

crazybritx2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by crazybritx2 »

Ok thanks for the tips..to get them before we get them fixed. That is definitely good to know :) Luckily Im not too much of a sap for the crying, because I know they won't like the crates, but yes I agree, it will be hard. I am hoping it goes somewhat smoothly, but talked about with my hubby today and he said, definitely we are getting the crates. We are a very active family, going boating, camping etc and I really want to be able to take them with us, that was the whole point in getting them! So, hopefully this will be the road to good family dogs! :P

crazybritx2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by crazybritx2 »

Ok, so we bought the crates yesterday and did five minutes with lots of treats and it went well. Today we did 10 minutes and let out one at a time IN the house with treats and they did well for about 2 minutes and then went psycho..so we sent them back outside. So, it is a work in progress. What was amazing was when they came out of the crates initially it is the first time Ive ever seen them CALM in the house, even if it last just a minute. So, Im happy with the results so far. Thanks out there for everyone's advice, and we will be fixing them so hopefully that will add to the calmness.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

HI Crazybritzx2, there might be something else you're interested in trying, it's a DVD called "Crate Games" by Susan Garrett. I just purchased it, $30 (a little steep, but.....) and I'm working with Daisy using this DVD because she doesn't like being alone or being in her crates. Seems interesting...You can purchase it on Amazon or at www.clickerdogs.com.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

crazybritx2 wrote:...Thanks out there for everyone's advice, and we will be fixing them so hopefully that will add to the calmness.
Don't place too much hope on "fixing them" fixing them :P :P They are still young pups and that surgery will only slow them down while they don't feel good....ain't gonna help much towards zoomies, and crazies :lol: You still have your work cut out for you :wink:
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

crazybritx2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by crazybritx2 »

Ok thanks! But the good thing is after fixing them neither of them will be able to produce or create puppies!! So, that is good. With the economy right now, my heart goes out to other dogs that are losing their homes :( Thanks for the DVD advice as well, I will look into it.

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

So here is my advice, one of the bootcamp homes for ABR in CA. First all, congratulations on your new home and your 2 Brittanys. In the long run you will not regret having them. You are in the hardest part of their lives. How is the crate training going? Are they still acting like crazy nuts when they come out? If so, put them back in the crate. They will cry to get out, let them cry. When they finally calm down, let them out. And keep them on a leash. They should always be on a leash or in the crate until they have learned their house manners. Britts are smart. They think they are smarter than you. They will learn quickly.

As for the jumping up and counter surfing, get a squirt bottle. Jumping up on you needs a good hard knee to their chest and a firm "DOWN" or "OFF". They will get the message quickly. Paws on the counter gets a squirt and a command.

Make them sleep in the house in their crates. If they cry, let them. I cover my crates like people do their pet birds. It seems to help them settle.

When they first come in the house, on the leash. Even if it is for dinner. Plan an evening activity of watching TV. On leash, make them lay down and settle. After they settle down,remove the leash. If they get crazy, back on the leash. Getting crazy is different from wiggling. After about an hour of being settled they will need to go back outside. It's about all the time they will be able to stand it. If it is in the evening when you want them in the house, or a rainy day, etc. - I tell mine "OK, one trip around the yard, go potty, OK, get back in here." Then start the process all over again.

Keep an eye on Jewel or before you know it she will be telling everyone in the house she is the boss. You handled that situation great.

It won't take but about 3 days for them to figure out what you want. They will still get crazy. I have 6 dogs, 4 of them Brittanys. One foster dog, and 2 more on the way. Just don't take any crap from them. Be the boss! And Reward, reward, reward.

If you haven't taken them to an obedience class I would do so. Not just for the training but for the socialization that they will get with the other dogs. If you have fenced dog park, I would take them there too. While they are running like baffoons, you and your son can have a nice stroll too.

Let us know how things are going and not going.

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by swillow66 »

Sorry, been a under the weather and didn't read your thread. BEEN THERE DOWN THAT!!!!!! The good news - if you decide to train - YOU CAN SURVIVE IT!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Read my story here: http://www.forum.americanbrittanyrescue ... =10&t=2043

Welcome to the board - Shelli
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world

crazybritx2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by crazybritx2 »

Hello everyone...here is an update!!!!
Today I got over my fear and walked the dogs with my son in the stroller and by myself! Now this is a big deal because first of all, both, but Jack, the male are very strong, so I was very unsure of myself holding onto the stroller and walking both, since they don't have manners when it comes to walking yet. I put both gentle leader harnesses on and then attached them both to a coupler, and although it was very awkward with that type of harness and a coupler, it made them work with each other and in turn wore each other out! It also wore me out, because it was both of their strengths on one leash, but I did it!! I will probably be very sore, but need to continue at it. Secondly, been working with the crates and are up to 10 minutes, with no whining and no accidents. Today I taught Jack to stay, and "crate" which is my command to go in the crate. Although just starting today he got it down pretty well. Jewel, our female, has an attention span of a fly, if I knew what kind of attention span they have but if I could guess, it would be short! Anyway, she is barely at sit, and will not stay, so she is farther behind in training than Jack. She takes twice as long to train and I don't know why. Anyway, I guess what Im heading at is that I was fairly pleased with how they have been doing crating as well as commands. They still get insane when out in the house, so I am teaching them that they come in , in the crate, and then after a few minutes, if they come out of the crate are calm they stay out, if not they either go outside or back in crate. They are not inside yet all day but we are down that path and working towards it little at a time. I am the only one training both of them and am training separately and trying to hold down the fort with my 3 year old, so it is complicated but the crates are great and am making progress. Just wanted you all to know! Thanks!

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

:D :D Sounds like you're off to a good start 8) Don't let backsliding discourage you, there will be good days and days when you wonder why a nice girl like you got into this situation :P :P Keep up your spirits and good work, you're on the right track :) Let us know how it's going...we care and are pulling for you, and Jack and Jewel :D
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

All that sounds really good. Progress might seem slow at first but gradually you will notice its getting easier (at least that was my experience). Especially once the dogs clue in that training time equals fun attention time. You have quite a handful and must be pretty tired. Maybe you should teach a good down stay in the bathroom so you could soak in the tub and toss treats at regular intervals.

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by kat »

Great news! You are obviously working hard at this, good for you. Your work will pay off with two wonderful, enjoyable companions! Keep us posted, we do want to hear how it's going.
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

crazybritx2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by crazybritx2 »

Thanks so much for all the positive input! You all really have motivated me to keep wanting to train and KEEP both of them. I thought a solution might be to rehome one and keep the other, but I have truly had a change of heart about these two dogs and I think they know it. Jack and Jewel both are really striving for my attention and trying. Now, there are times when I don't have the time or patience, so they stay outside, but yesterday was a really big step and I plan on continuing the regimen today. I really appreciate all of the support and will continue to keep you all updated as to what is going on. Thank you so much for the tips. I am working with a combination of many tips that were posted on here. I will post my progress again in a few days. Thanks again!

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

Sounds like you are on the right road. Congratulations! Don't get discouraged. We all have days with our dogs even the ones we think are well trained. It's a Brit thing. But we love them anyway. They know you love them too that is why they are responding to you.

Here is another suggestion - On the days when you don't have time to work with them, you still have to feed them. Let them in, crate them, get the food ready, let them out. Then right back out side.

I can't wait to hear what works and what doesn't.