Thank God I found this forum!!

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

crazybritx2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Re: Thank God I found this forum!!

Post by crazybritx2 »

Hi to all! So, today walked the dogs again with the stroller and we even had a period of time where there was slack on the leash! They still pull but because I have them on a coupler they actually wear each other out. The main problem I am having is that when we go on walks, they REALLy get crazy and pull when they see other dogs. I know they want to play but how can you curb this? They do not get that much socialization with other dogs, but they do get some, and its just kind of out of control. Any tips for this? Thank again everyone!

crazybritx2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by crazybritx2 »

Hello to All: I am continuing to walk the dogs and they are doing better. I have been working on the "leave it" command. So, when we are out on a walk, and they are hearing and getting anxious about other dogs I say leave it and sometimes its literally dragging them but I think they are getting the idea. We are up to 20 minutes on the crate training and Im doing it very gradually. So far, hardly any whining etc. Only Jewel gets jealous when Jack is out and she is not...(training sessions) but she needs to learn to be ok. So, thanks for the tips and just updating! Will let you know more soon.

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

It sounds like your dedication is paying off. Keep up the good work! :D
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

A really great way to train a leave it is to take a good smelly treat in your hand and make a fist with it. Let the dog smell the treat and slobber, nose, even dig at your hand but don't give them the treat. As soon as they pause or stop, say "leave it" and give them the treat.

Edited to say: congrats on all the great progress.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

They're smart dogs and a little training really goes a long way. I had a lot of trouble with pulling on the leash and "leaving" other dogs so I won't offer advice. Just wanted to say that it sounds like you're making good progress. In what will eventually seem like no time you'll have good indoor dogs.

crazybritx2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by crazybritx2 »

Hi to all. Training is going well and we are almost up to an hour in the crate. Just wanted to run something by you all. Today we went on a walk, first time in 2 days because of some issues that got in the way. Anyway, in the last two days there has been a fair going on literally right at the end of our street. A lot of fire engine sounds (parade) and LOUD music and lots of traffic. Anyway, I was walking the dogs this morning and they WERE OUT OF CONTROL!!!! I realized it may have been from not being walked in two days?? Or was it all the noise? I mean every single dog they heard or saw that they normally aren't nearly paying as much attention to, they were wimpering whining, jumping and being out of control on lease. No commands worked, and our male Jack was the worst. I feel almost like I pulled some muscles in my arm walking them it was that bad. Can anyone offer insight? I realize that they need to be walked every day if possible, but this behavior just seemed so extreme. Do you think it had anything to do with the fair and all the noises? Thanks for any info. Other than that, training is going normal and well!

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Could have been both. If they're not used to the loud noises they are going to be excited, and/or nervous, maybe even scared. If they have spare energy its just going to be worse. I had a bad walk this morning as well. Stupid dog flushed a pheasant 5 minutes into the walk and just would not settle. Drove me nuts.

PS. I think if the dogs can accept 1 hour in the crate they've pretty much got it.

LauraV
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by LauraV »

I would say it's both. They are crazy from not being walked in a few days, and the activity at the end of the street is just "egging" them on.
ImageImage
Brittany & Bosco

crazybritx2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by crazybritx2 »

Thanks for the input. Well, Im back on the wagon when it comes to walking them. I will walk them today and hopefully they will be a little better. Im glad to hear that if they've gotten one hour in the crate they have got it. I am a stay at home mom, so it really isn't necessary for them to be in the crate, but I wanted to use it as a tool to bringing them in the house. Jewel has learned from it the most. She actually comes out of the crate calm and immediately sits down. So, the reason for it is working. They are not adapted into being in the home entirely, but I have been working with them aggressively when it comes to the crate and the walking and they are well on their way. The fair is over, so hopefully the walk will go well. I think I will have to really keep an eye on them come fourth of July. Thanks so much for the tips and I will update again regularly. :D
Also quick question: I have been putting them back in the crate, or outside if they get hyper in the house. Im trying to teach them that calm behavior means they are out in the house. What is better form of discipline? Outside or in the crate? Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks again :) 8)

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I'm not the best trainer. There are people here who have tons of experience but they might not be looking at this thread. I think you might get more people to help if you opened a new thread asking for help with crate training details or something like that. That way the people who know about or are particularly interested in crate training will take a peak at your message.
I have been putting them back in the crate, or outside if they get hyper in the house. Im trying to teach them that calm behavior means they are out in the house. What is better form of discipline? Outside or in the crate? Any advice would be appreciated!!
Well, my guess is that it depends... If they are crazy because they need to get a few ants out of their pants then I'd toss 'em outside (and not look at it as punishment ... just giving them a chance to blow of steam which is a necessary part of their day - especially if they've been in the crate for awhile). If they are crazy because they are just so damned excited to be with you in the house then I'd work with them a little on downs and stays and settle.

What specifically are they doing in the house? You might want to work on specific behaviors.

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

This is just my personal opinion, but if they get "hyper," as you say, I would take them outside and play with them.

Hyper behavior just means that they have a lot of energy, and putting them in the crate is not going to get rid of that. It may calm them down momentarily, but that energy will just stay bottled up until it explodes.

I would try to devote a good chunk of time each day to play time.

Tug of war is a great game to play (especially if you can get them playing together!), as is just playing fetch. Get them running and playing with each other in the backyard, and eventually they will wear themselves out, and you can bring them back in.

I know there are mixed feelings on this, but we personally love using a laser pointer at night in the backyard. Our dogs (well, one of them...) chase it madly....good way to get them running without much effort on your part. You just have to be careful not to get it in their eyes - it is a weak light, so won't do much damage, unless you repeatedly and purposefully shine it in their eyes. Some dogs have developed obsessive behavior with the laser light, which is why some people do not advocate its use. Ours have not, however, so we continue to use it.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

Mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mark »

headtrip_honey wrote:Some dogs have developed obsessive behavior with the laser light, which is why some people do not advocate its use. Ours have not, however, so we continue to use it.
The laser pointer can be great.. but you definitely need to watch out for this obsessed behavior.. Monty has it. It got to the point where once the laser was put away, he would very, very seriously "hunt" for the laser for 2-3 hours. And if a glint of light caught his eye, he would freeze in place, and not move for 20 minutes. At that point we decided it was not a good thing, and haven't pulled the laser out for quite a long while. For dogs that can deal OK with it, it can be a great way to tire them out.
Wheeeeeeeee!!!

Monty.
He's so hot right now.
Monty.

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

Mark wrote:
headtrip_honey wrote:Some dogs have developed obsessive behavior with the laser light, which is why some people do not advocate its use. Ours have not, however, so we continue to use it.
The laser pointer can be great.. but you definitely need to watch out for this obsessed behavior.. Monty has it. It got to the point where once the laser was put away, he would very, very seriously "hunt" for the laser for 2-3 hours. And if a glint of light caught his eye, he would freeze in place, and not move for 20 minutes. At that point we decided it was not a good thing, and haven't pulled the laser out for quite a long while. For dogs that can deal OK with it, it can be a great way to tire them out.
Yes, we are lucky that none of our dogs ever exhibited this behavior. The most it ever got to was the minute Hunter knew we had the laser in our hand, he would start looking around for that little red dot. And when we put it away, he would spend a minute or so looking for it until he was absolutely sure it was gone. Once it was away, he never looked for it.

Bree likes the laser, but she doesn't even get as excited as Hunter got.

Lizzy could care less about it.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

NancyH
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by NancyH »

You haven't mentioned if you have a dog park in your town? If so, I would try taking them. They will certainly get their wiggles out and get some socialization with other dogs and you get a break from the crazy goons while they are playing. It would be a great outing for them and you and your son especially now that it is spring.

crazybritx2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by crazybritx2 »

Thanks for the input. No, we do not have a dog park :( I wish we did because they go bonkers whenever they hear or see other dogs. It gets really bad sometimes. I have tried socializing them, like when we are on a walk, sometimes smaller dogs come up to them and they sniff each other and stuff like that, but that is the most that is around us. Yes, there are a TON of stray dogs around here. A man actually told me to carry a golf club because of loose pitbulls :( So hopefully no attacks...since he said that in his living here he has seen 4 major attacks from loose pitbulls. As far as the behavior that is wild, Im talking they get crazy and start running and jumping up on couches, tables, grabbing anything to tear up and running out of the room. So, that is when they go outside, because that is too much for me. They have plenty of toys and chews to entertain them as well. In the future, if I have any questions that might be useful in another thread I will post a new thread..thanks for the tip :) So, will keep going at it regarding the dogs and walking. Im trying my best with what I have in regards to around me. We are sort of in a rural area. My in laws, who own the parents of our dogs and two of their siblings, have trained them to let them run off leash in the fields and return home. They get great running in and all, but I really do not want to do that with my dogs. I can't trust them to come home! They saw two birds this morning and both lunged at the same time and I almost broke my wrist :( So, will just keep working at it. Thanks for all the advice :)