Anxiety?

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Anxiety?

Post by mkilcz »

When we first got Jack he needed to be crated during those times when nobody was home. On weekdays, everybody is out of the house by 8:15 am and then kids start getting home from school around 2:30 pm or so. So, its kind of a long time, but not as long as it could be, I guess. Jack doesn't like being crated, but he'd go in without resisting, and meanwhile Rocket would have full run of the house. Over time, we left Jack out for longer periods until we felt comfortable leaving him out all day as well. The problem is that every now and then, Jack will have an episode where he destroys "something". There isn't any kind of pattern, or any clear trigger for the behavior, and he doesn't target anything in particular. Once he ate a paperback that my son was reading for English (yeah, I know... the dog ate my homework is the oldest one in the book!). Another time he chewed up a basket, and once it was pencils... its just weird random stuff. Recently it seems to be happening more often. So, I don't know if he's feeling anxious, or if he's maybe just finding things to parade around with in front of Rocket, hoping to initiate play. Whatever the cause it, its hard to keep every potentially interesting object out of his reach, especially with 3 kids who leave their stuff wherever it happens to drop. Anyway, if anybody has some insight or suggestions for me, I'd appreciate it. I really want to avoid crating him all day again if possible. Thanks!

Marge

Marge

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Re: Anxiety?

Post by Cindy »

We're having a similar problem with Jill now that I've gone back to work part time. She rarely (knock on wood) destroys anything but she definitely makes a statement by repositioning things around the yard that she knows she shouldn't touch ie shoes, gloves, etc. We keep dog proofing the yard and garage but then she'll find something else. Actually, she went for 2 weeks and didn't do anything and then this week I found a matching pair of rubber boots carefully placed in the yard next to a small hole that had recently been created. Not sure what to suggest other than just make sure everything of value is up and out of reach. Or at least everything that could be harmful is out of reach. Can't wait to hear other suggestions.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

I have no suggestions other than crating. I'm paranoid, and refuse to take a chance on either of my girls destroying something. And it's not so much that I worry about them destroying something of value (although I wouldn't be happy about it!) but I worry that they will eat something that will harm THEM!

Maggie is 4 years old, and she is still crated while we are at work. If we go away for 1-3 hours in the evening or weekend, we sometimes leave her uncrated. Longer than that, and she goes in the crate. Emma is 2 years old, and she can't be trusted out of the crate for 15 minutes alone!!!

I crate them for their safety and my peace of mind.

LauraV
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by LauraV »

Do you make sure Jack gets plenty of excercise in the AM? I know that is hard especially with kids to get off to school, but we always make sure our guys get a nice long walk in the AM before we leave for work and it seems to help.
Can you leave a kong filled with something yummy? or a buster cube?
ImageImage
Brittany & Bosco

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

LauraV wrote:Do you make sure Jack gets plenty of excercise in the AM?
Believe it or not, I take both dogs out to run for a half hour every morning before work. Our property backs to undeveloped wetlands and some ball fields, so we're really fortunate. I think I'm going to try keeping a log for a while to see if maybe I'm missing something connected to the behavior.

Marge