Free Running My Rescue Brittany

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Hayley's Mom
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Re: Free Running My Rescue Brittany

Post by Hayley's Mom »

Yeah to Wesley and you!

Isn't it a huge relief to let them run their hearts out and have fun ... and KNOW they will come back!

Hayley has a bell attached to her "e-bling collar" too. It gives the chipmunks, etc. fair warning to get their butts in gear!

The bells make people laugh ... one day a delivery guy thought she was gorgeous and nicknamed her "Jingle Bells"

BTW ... I gave up on round bear bells -- they trap mud and snow and stop jingling. At a local sportsman show I found one for dogs that's like a small "cow bell" (open at the bottom end). It's loud and never quits jingling.

Have fun!

etyson11
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by etyson11 »

Of course it's Colorado... where else is that amazing? We went camping near the Collegiate Peaks and Mount Huron, about 20 miles south of Leadville, CO.

We were playing in the freezing river that morning and watching elk graze on the other side. She loves growling and pointing at the CO wildlife (elk, bear, mountain lions, etc.) -- luckily from a distance.
Bridget Willow

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Ahhh, the Collegiate Peaks. I climbed Columbia and Harvard about 25 years ago. Brings up some youthful memories. Beautiful area and an awesome pic of your dog. She's gorgeous !!!!

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Hayley's Mom wrote:BTW ... I gave up on round bear bells -- they trap mud and snow and stop jingling. At a local sportsman show I found one for dogs that's like a small "cow bell" (open at the bottom end). It's loud and never quits jingling.
That's the kind I use but it does get packed with snow. I was thinking of switching to the closed kind but I guess they get clogged too. sigh. Well, usually if its the kind of snow that clogs the bell I can always track her.

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

I haven't had any trouble with the bear bells yet but haven't taken Wesley in the snow with them. We'll see. I was using falconry bells but Wesley kept loosing them. I guess the metal clasp was made for birds not crazy, wild dogs ?? I do think that bells make life soooooo much easier. As long as I can hear the bells, I can keep running. As soon as I can't hear them, I stop for a second, wait to see if they start up (sometimes he's sniffing something) and then, after a few seconds, if I don't hear them, I blow the whistle. That USUALLY gets him moving in my direction !

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Hayley's Mom wrote:BTW ... I gave up on round bear bells -- they trap mud and snow and stop jingling. At a local sportsman show I found one for dogs that's like a small "cow bell" (open at the bottom end). It's loud and never quits jingling.
Thanks for that tip. It snowed last night. We woke to about 3 inches of thick, wet, heavy snow :shock: :shock: :shock: Very unusual for us in OCTOBER. It usually starts snowing in the mountains in November but down here in the desert, it's usually January before we wake to it. Anyway, I took the dogs out for a romp in the snow and you're right.....in about 3 minutes, Wesley's bear bells were packed with snow and I could no longer hear him. BIG problem. I'm so used to letting him go crazy as long as I can hear his bells. It was a good thing I decided to put the GPS on him today as I've been testing him without it. I scanned the Gun Dog Supply website this morning. They have 3 different shapes (Regular bell, cow bell and swiss bell) . They have bells with straps....do they stay secure? I'll take any bell advice. I have to be prepared for the winter. It's very important that I know where "Jingle Boy" is at all times !!!!!

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Those are the three bells I just ordered for my dogs. I'm supposed to get them tomorrow. GDS had the cheapest price I've found. I wanted to try out different bells on each dog, so I could tell who was who is the corn and high grass. I got the ones with the nylon loop too. Lion Country Supply has bell fasteners, but I didn't see them on the GDS site, so I opted for the loops. You could always buy the fasteners and cut the loops off it you want. The Swiss bell is supposed to have the lowest tone that carries better at a distance...but the one on GDS is called a "Swiss-type" bell. When I get them, I can give you my opinion. Hope they're not too big for Britts, but at that price I can experiment a little. Just remembered, the Swiss bell will be about a week late, but the size of the cowbell and Swiss is about the same.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

mkilcz
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by mkilcz »

Rocket always wears a bell when running out in the field. I prefer the cow bell style. Something about the pitch of the swiss bell is harder for my aging ears to hear! His bell is medium sized and attaches with a nylon loop. I've never had any trouble with the bell coming off in the field, but it will slide off the end when the dog isn't wearing the collar (like when you're just carrying it to put it away). Rocket's came from Lion Country Supply.

Marge

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

Well, I ordered one of each and will make him wear both :P That way, I'll be sure to hear both pitches of bells. The swiss bell is back ordered but I'll get him jingling again in no time 8) 8) 8)

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

I've used the bells and love them. Can tell who is who, whether they're coming to me or going away, and how far away they are. The sportsman bell is more tingalingy than the cowbell, but it's nice that they're so distinct.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau