8 Week Old Brittany

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

lbmartin
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

8 Week Old Brittany

Post by lbmartin »

Hi Everyone,

I have just adopted a Brittany (Katie Lilybell). I have had here for almost 2 weeks now and she is a real joy to my family. I think she is doing well I have done a lot of reading before and still about Britanys and puppies in general. She already knows her name when called, so knows what no means, puppy bitting is minimal only after a couple days of no and giving here a puppy toy, crate training is still on going but getting better I had to take out the blanket and any absorbant toy because she would pee on them. Since I have removed all items except a chew toy she will not go in the crate. She will sleep from 10:30 until around 5:30 without whining anymore. House training well she only had one poop accident in the house since we have had her, now peeing on the other hand seems to be 2 accidents a day. We bring her out at least every 45 minutes to an hour and she will come inside and in 15 minutes or so pee on the floor and 2 of these accidents were at me feet. She follows me averywhere which I don't have a problem with but why would she pee right next to me. Thats another thing she doesn't do anything different before she has these accidents no whinning, barking, sitting at the door ect. We have gone in and out the same door and to the same spot in the yard for 2 weeks now. Don't get me wrong I know she is still young I was just wondering what else I could do she has seemed to learned a lot so quickly in a short time.

Thanks!
Katie Lili Bell (2yrs.) & Gemma Hartly (6mos.)
March 2011

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Re: 8 Week Old Brittany

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Welcome to the board, LBM.

Keep doing what you're doing. Those little ones just take a few months to really get the hang of it. They need time to figure out what's expected, but that won't happen until they're old enough to control their little bladders. My experience shows that it will take until she is 5 months old before you really will have a housetrained pup. The two pups we got from breeders, it wasn't until 5 months until I thought we had it licked, but then they would regress and have occassional accidents out of nowhere until they were 7 months old. The pup from our litter last year--a litter that we began working on housetraining the instant they were old enough to go outside--we achieved success a little earlier. About 4 months, the accidents decreased significantly. By 5 months, no more indoor accidents. But that was done with constant outdoor excursions at all hours of the day and night.

As far as the crate goes, personally I would keep something absorbant in there....at least for the next couple months. She will have to pee, and I would rather her pee on something absorbant, than have her pee and end up with her getting it all over herself. Daily baths can be more of a pain in the rear than constant launderings. They do make absorbant pads that are disposable you can put in there with her. If you have a bunch of old towels, they could be cheaper in the long run, since you can wash them and reuse. Sometimes it can be hard, but try to get yourself in a positive attitude when dealing with these squat-n-squirts. She will sense your frustration, and it could create anxiety. Anxiety in the pup could lead to more accidents instead of improvement. Even just getting pee on herself can make her anxious. She really doesn't want that to happen, but her bladder is the size of a pee. She can't help it.

Keep us informed, and come here whenever you need to vent. Been there, done that. :wink:
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

Ditto what Brian said, but also, instead of just letting her out to pee, try taking her on little walks.

Dogs (male AND female) ALWAYS want to mark things when they walk, and walking also helps to stimulate the urge to pee.

This will help reinforce that outside is the right place to pee/poop. And you can work on leash training her at the same time!

Good luck!
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Could it be submissive urination? This is a quote from another thread on the issue.
Barb Wright wrote:Right off the bat I'd say this is Submissive Urination. Here is some info from some of our previous discussions on Submissive Urination:

"Speaking specifically to submissive urination, one of the most important things to understand about submissive urination is that is a very common, normal behavior in dogdom, especially with puppies that are very young and learning to adapt to "superior" beings that control them, but also with adult dogs who are fearful, insecure, or under stress. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING to keep in mind is that *they do not know that they are doing it*....it is the result of pure unadulterated instinct and reflex. It has no connection to potty training whatsoever. Therefore, it is essential that you do not react to it either vocally, facially, or physically in a negative manner....they are very tuned into the vibes that you send out and anger, irritation, and impatience radiate right to them, and just increase their feeling of insecurity and lack of confidence, plus, they will not understand what they did that caused you to suddenly react badly toward them. SU is not something you can control with any form of discipline. You MUST just accept it, contain your displeasure, control your reaction, clean it up and move on. As the dog matures, learns the ropes of living with humans, other dogs, all the complications of life, etc. as long as they are worked with patiently, compassionately, justly and consistently, they will become increasingly more confident and secure, learn what is expected of them ( via training, socialization, etc.) and , voila, the unpleasant (to us) behavior will begin to diminish and then end."

And here is a whole discussion on the subject:

viewtopic.php?t=1188

)

swillow66
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by swillow66 »

WELCOME!! Did you adopt the pup from ABR? Can't tempt us without bringing pictures :wink:
lbmartin wrote: We bring her out at least every 45 minutes to an hour and she will come inside and in 15 minutes or so pee on the floor and 2 of these accidents were at me feet.
Anyhoo, I think it is called being "pro-active" and making sure when she does go, it is successfully outside.

Adele and Brian are right as it will be several more months that you can really call her house trained as she just doesn't have the physical muscle tone to actually hold it for much longer. But you are off to a terrifc start be taking her outside all the time to positively encourage her. Also, I would add an excited and happy, "good girl GO POTTY" when she does eliminate outside. Not only does she know she is doing it right, this will help give her a que/command to help her pee on command when she gets older (ie - traveling out-of-state, it is -10 outside with a windchill of -20, you want her to HURRY UP AND GO!! 8) :lol: )
Madison and Riley "Waiting for Spring!"

To the world you are just one person, but to one person you can mean the world

lbmartin
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by lbmartin »

Thanks Everyone:

For all the advise keep the words of wisdom coming for new Brittany owners. I have been reading this forum for hours now trying to soak up as much info and help as possible.

I'll post some pics later.
March 2011

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Welcome to our discussions :) . At 8 weeks these little dogs squat and pee so quickly it's really hard catching them .It takes perseverance taking them outside and lots of praise when they get it right .

We need pictures , puppies are so cute :lol: . Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Welcome to the board but I'm not much help with puppies. Those days are long over for me!! But I love to hear the stories and see the pictures and be reminded about why I adopt adult dogs! :lol: :lol: Post some pictures please.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

lbmartin
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by lbmartin »

I would love to post pics of my Katie but I'm having trouble.
March 2011

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Here's the link that explains the hows:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=811

You're basically uploading a picture to the site called ImageShack. Once you do that, there will be codes given that will lead to your picture. Depending on which code you choose, you will either paste the link that will make the picture appear in your reply, or you will paste a link to that picture.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

lbmartin
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by lbmartin »

Hi All:

Finally figured out how to put pics in this. Thanks Muddy Creek Britts!

ImageImage
Last edited by lbmartin on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
March 2011

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Katie Lilybell is as beautiful as her name. Is she a Frenchie :?: Her nose looks black, but it's sometimes hard to tell exact color from a picture.

By the way, you can put the code of one of the pictures in your signature, so every time you post something, that picture will follow without having to manually reenter it. I'm still getting the hang of this new format, so bear with me.

What you want to do is log in. Then you will see "User Control Panel" in the upper left part of the board....click that. The page that pops up will have tabs across the top....click "Profile." After that you will see links down the left side of that board....click "Edit Signature." You will then paste that code for your picture choice in the top box and save or submit (whatever it is it happens to say). Every time you post, that picture will automatically appear at the bottom of your reply.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

What a doll she is :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

lbmartin
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by lbmartin »

Katie's nose is brown it was really hard to get a good pic she doesn't stay still for long. (lol) She is very active from 2:45 pm until about 11:00 pm that is when the whole family is home. (My husband, myself, and 3 boys) One of my sons or myself will go home for our lunch hour and she is so excited to see someone. When go home for lunch I have a really hard time leaving her to go back to work, she can :( pout really good it makes me feel horrible.

Thanks for the info on the signature.
March 2011

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

She is too cute! I just love those long legs on a pup.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla