Howling !!!

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Howling !!!

Post by janet909 »

I'm just curious about anyone's thoughts on this. I have a 8 1/2 year old Brittany who has grown up hearing coyotes all his life. We live on the river bank of the Colorado River and at night, it's a major passage for wild life hunts and movement. He's never been phased by the pack howling / barking until about 2 months ago. One night, the coyotes were excited on a kill.....barking and howling when all of a sudden, our Brittany sat up in bed (he sleeps with us) and let out the most somber, despairing howl that we've ever heard. It was long and drawn out and we had to break him out of what appeared to be a trance. Now, whenever he hears the coyotes, he repeats this soulful cry. Our new 1 1/2 year old Britt howls too....once the older one starts though he seems more unsure and scared about what's going on. It's fun to listen too except that the older one seems so spaced out and almost distraught that we can't help but wonder what he's thinking. We let it go for a couple minutes and then settle everyone down. It's now occurring a couple of times every week. What do you all make of it???
Janet

AuntieMom
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Howling !!!

Post by AuntieMom »

Here is a link that I found interesting http://www.petplace.com/dogs/why-do-dog ... page1.aspx
It sounds like the wolf pack woke up your Britts' inner wolf. :D
Trapper, CharLee & Kallie

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Our girls don't howl but our nearest neighbor's dogs do - 2 girls and a boy. Sometimes after they start, the "message" gets transmitted around the neighborhood so every dog joins in the music. Since we live way out in the sticks and houses are pretty far apart, it almost sounds like an echo. I love listening to them but would feel differently if it happened in my house while I was sleeping!!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I don't know what to make of it. Lola has howled several times when she is sleeping. To my ears it is a very sad sound and makes me think she is dreaming of being lost and alone. Breaks my heart. (I am aware that she could be having a good dream about running with the wolves but it sounds sad). The howling seems to wake her up and she seems confused. I give her a bit of a cuddle and she goes right back to sleep. When you discribed the first howl with your dog sorta in a trance my first thought was that he was sleeping. Now he's doing it regularly I don't know what to think... he's talking to the coyotes.

JSANTA26
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by JSANTA26 »

I'm pretty sure Tessie was a fire engine in her past life... she howls every time one goes by!

Image BIRD DOG

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

That's too funny........fire engine...LOL.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

We have coyotes in our area. Orion howled with them in his sleep. He scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. I went to check on him and see if he was ill. He just opened one eye as if to say, "WHAT?!?" and went back to sleep.

Oakley and I howl together. One of the forest preserves where we walk has prefabbed steel bodied privvies with high slanted ceilings. Incredible acoustics. :wink:
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

It's funny that this post made it back up the the front of the list. I'll have to report that that middle of the night howling did suddenly stop. Interestingly, all three sometimes howl wilding when I pull into the driveway. It's become a greeting of sorts. i don't now which one starts it but they all seem to chime in. I find it endearing !!!! Kind of like crying because they missed me so much. (That's what I choose to believe anyway).

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

You have such good boys Janet!!! :)

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

I really do think it's a "guy" thing. :)
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla