When walking the dogs is almost impossible :(

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: When walking the dogs is almost impossible :(

Post by rtropeano »

Glad to hear that your walk was better with Jewel. Let's hope it's good with Jack as well.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Helen E.
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Helen E. »

I'm glad that Jewel lived up to her name, but sorry to hear about your Ladybird. We also have bird dogs and birds. Our 14 yr. old cockatiel passed away last summer. We still have a quaker and an african grey who love to toss food out of their cages to the dogs. :roll:

crazybritx2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by crazybritx2 »

Thanks so much for all of the nice comments. Yes it has been a difficult day losing Ladybird but glad Jewel gave me a smile. I walked Jack this afternoon and he was crazy!! So, now I can say he is the culprit. Im sure with a little training and treats he will settle down. You know, walking them alone has been really nice, and good exercise. I might just have to keep doing it! Thanks everyone for your kind words and help. My dogs are transforming into good dogs with their quirks but good dogs and I owe it all to everyone on here and the outpour of advice. It means so much to me! :D

LauraV
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by LauraV »

Yea!! It's great that you are enjoying walking them. My husband walks our dogs religiously (rain, snow or sun) and really loves it. I am so glad you are seeing some progress.
I am sorry about your bird.
ImageImage
Brittany & Bosco

crazybritx2
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by crazybritx2 »

Hi to all: figured I would give you all an update on walking the dogs. I started walking separately and it was beautiful. WEll, in one of the posts, one of you suggested a way of tying the leash on the dogs waist area and THIS really works for Jack!! But whenever I walk them both, Jack really riles them up. Jewel is excellent by herself. Jack is so so by himself and insane together. My son only likes to go on the walk in the morning and doesn't really want to in the afternoon, so it is getting hard to please everyone. I have left Jack out and not walked him nearly as much as Jewel. I feel bad because Im sure he knows he's being treated differently, but he makes the walks impossible. Any advice welcome. They have an appt. to get fixed next friday..YAH!!! So, I guess for now I will continue to try and walk separately...and hopefully it will happen. Thanks to all for your support and encouragement!

Oh and the behavior displayed from Jack on walks/separate or together is : constant/persistant whining/crying, pulling, flat out stopping to smell and I have to drag him etc. Jewel never whines when by herself, but whenever Jack is walking with her, she starts to display the same behavior. Any tips???

Thanks so much!!1 :roll:

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Can you enlist a trainer to work with Jack? Or maybe have someone else walk him if it's to much for you? Maybe someone you know has a fenced yard where youncan let them run off leash and get some of the excess energy off BEFORE walking them.

Rose

NYC John
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by NYC John »

I have to thank Rose for her recommendation of the Emily Weiss leash. I got mine earlier in the week and so far it has made an enormous difference. It makes walking my Britt alot more tolerable for the first time in five years.

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Awesome - glad that leash made a difference. I like it too!!!

flygirljill
Puppy

Post by flygirljill »

My dog sitters hubby is an animal behaviorist and he suggests using a back pack weighted down with water bottles or cans to get 2 x as much from a walk. Another thing that i thought about is maybe have Jack use the treadmill before going on walk. Get him plenty tired first and he'll probably be better on the leash. I am working on controlling pulling with my brittany too. She's getting better. I never did get a handle on it with my last britt but I will on this one. I don't know anything about the EW leash. I know I've spent money on harnesses & pinch collars to no avail. Let us know how it's going.
Jill Merrill-Abbys mom

Jotaff
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by Jotaff »

I just tried Bill's trick about wrapping the leash around the belly and it's a great tip - worked well! Thanks, Jan

DLDoiron
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by DLDoiron »

I met Bill and Star at our Pet Expo and he showed me how to do his trick. What a difference it has made. No more sled dog. By the way Bill and his wife Sherry are the nicest people you will ever meet. Star is such a wonderful dog. It was such a pleasure to meet all of them.
Doc, Dazy Dew, & CJ

Diana