HELP! lennox is chasing people walking by

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

oakleydog
Puppy

HELP! lennox is chasing people walking by

Post by oakleydog »

i'm mind boggled. Lennox is just a year old, and he is a pretty good dog, he listen well, and comes when he's called (for the most part). we trained him with an e-collar and it worked well. however now he has decided, wehn he sees people walking by the house, he takes off after them barking like a pshyco. he would never bite, but thats not to say a dog he runs after wont. he barks at people waking by out the window, and soe does the other britt we have, but she could care less if someone walks by. he wont stop running when called, we are affaid he's gonna get hit by a care, or attacked by a dog. any ideas to get him to stop?!?!

thanks
ImageImage

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: HELP! lennox is chasing people walking by

Post by adele »

First, I'd get a fence so they can't run off the property. I have an electric fence for Lola and it keeps her off the street very well. I'd make keeping the dogs off the street a priority! I think you also need to have them close to you to get control of the situation.

I've had good success getting Lola to stop barking. If she barked I put my hand over her muzzle give it a tiny but firm shake and said in a very firm quiet calm voice, "quiet". When she stopped - at first it was just for a sec to catch her breath I told her "good" - then she'd bark again and I'd cover her muzzle with my had and say "quiet" and the second she stopped "good". Then she'd start to growly grumble and I'd allow that. I'd also sit with her and watch the the person walk by either praising her or correcting her. I'd talk and coo to her while she was doing good. Now, if I see someone coming I start before she even barks... "quiet" and she will be quiet. If she see's them first and gives a warning bark or two I can just say "quiet" "leave it" and she generally does. It really has worked very well. The trouble is that you have to stop what you're doing and deal with the behavior whenever someone walks passed - which can be a pain. It did work for my girl.

Now she lets the regular people walk by but when there is a stranger she lets me know - but quiets when I tell her (generally) and I never ever raise my voice. If horses go by, well, we're still working on that one...

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

I use almost the same method with Daisy, because she likes to bark at people and dogs who pass by our house. But she's inside and barks at them while looking through the window. I'll allow one "alarm" bark and that's it - I do not allow constant barking. If she continues, she must get "off" the window and I tell her quiet. I taught quiet by saying the word right "after" she stopped barking, then I'd praise her.

It takes a lot of consistency and repetition. And there are days when she's just too excited and I have to pull down the window shade -- no dog is perfect.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Dave
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Dave »

Ok I might get stoned for this . :roll:

He is ecollar trained as I read . Use it if he runs off not listening . First tone him . If he continues then set it on about 8 and nick him twice quickly . Make sure he hears your whoa command . If this doesn't work , which I think it will turn it all the way up . I have a stuborn dog model and haven't had to use high yet . If I was concerned for the dog's safety , like chasing a Rabbit or Deer I would though . :?

I know ecollars are not the cure all . You can also go back with a check cord about 30 ft. long . Make him drag it around . If he takes off step on it and let him hit the end full tilt . Just before he hits the end yell "Whoa" .

What you have is an adolescent Brittany that is just turning off his ears and ignoring you . I would also do some road work by using a treadmill or jogging him while your are riding a bicycle . I use a 4 wheeler . I'm too old and have a bad heart :roll: :lol: . Jog him 7- 10 miles at 6-7 mph . .

This is what I did with Leo our big super high energy Brittany Shelli lent me . Wear them out then do obedience drills . Their brains will then function and their stupidity goes away . 8) Dave
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

I won't stone you, Dave. I don't even entirely disagree. I'd use Lola's collar on high if she was taking off for the street and teaching a good recall is essential. However a fence is sure fire (but I understand its more expensive). An electric fence will essentially do what you suggest. It'll do it when you're not looking and it'll do it at exactly the same spot every time. Its very important to keep the dog off the street.

oakleydog
Puppy

Post by oakleydog »

thanks everyone,

Yes, because were on 10 acres, and the other dog is loose, a 10 acre fence would break me for sure. i have though about an electric fence but even that the size is limited. I have tried turning the e-collar up to full and, he continues to run out then around in a big cirlce then back to my feet. i have just come to grips that maybe my collar sucks, so i just ordered a new one from gundogsupply. hopefully it gives me better results. i realize he is a stubborn child right now...and too smart for his own good. we take them for runs in the bush (with a quad/snowmachine) and he does about 3kms each run, 2-4 runs per day. he's still a nut bar, but we still love him.

thanks again
melissa
ImageImage

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Don't want to belabor the point but just for your info.... The Petsafe fence can handle 10 acres (but I wouldn't want to be the one installing the wire). Or you can just run the fence along the road you don't necessarily have to encircle all the property.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

We have the Dogwatch system and it's VERY good and reliable. We ran it around 8 acres and the cost was about $1200 for the entire system and 2 collars (they are the expensive part). Some of the line is buried, some attached to fencing, and some just lies on the ground in the woods. We just helped my brother install Petsafe around his place. We did NOT bury the wire unless we had to and it's been working fine since Christmas. Eventually leaves, grass, etc. cover the exposed wire. The only problem is that sometimes deer break the wire when they run through.
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
[url]Image[/url]