Forget impossible to walk....

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Forget impossible to walk....

Post by headtrip_honey »

....how about impossible to even leash up?

Okay, so we have the two girls. Bree is FINE when it comes to leashing up and walking. She gets a little wiggly but will generally sit as best she can for me while I leash her up. And as I've said other places, she is the best un-trained walker ever.

Lizzy, however, is another story.

Not only is she a typical Britt when it comes to walking (pulling and lunging and sniffing), the minute she even thinks you're going for the leash, she starts HOWLING and YIPPING and jumping and running all over the place. It is the only time this otherwise mellow Britt gets the zoomies (well, okay, and if someone is silly enough to ring the doorbell....when THAT happens, you'd think we had Beagles, not Britts).

And once she gets worked up into a feverpitch, it is impossible to bring her down.

Anyway to calm this? I've thought of snapping the leash on her and just letting her run around with it on all day, so she gets desensitized to it?
-Emily
Image Image Image Image
Hunter (RIP 09.16.04-02.28.09), Lizzy, Bree and Jack

LauraV
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Re: Forget impossible to walk....

Post by LauraV »

headtrip_honey wrote:Anyway to calm this? I've thought of snapping the leash on her and just letting her run around with it on all day, so she gets desensitized to it?
This might work, or you could do the opposite. Bring out the leash and just hold it until she calms down. Make her know that she doesn't get to go anywhere unless she is calm.
ImageImage
Brittany & Bosco

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

That's what we do. The dogs see the leash and go nuts so we stand there until they calmly sit down. Just be prepared for the first few times that this could take awhile. You absolutely can't be in a hurry....it might take a good 15 minutes for them to "settle". Just stand there with the leash and minimal eye contact. As soon as they calm down and sit, put the leash on them and praise like crazy. If you're consistant with this, they will learn. Now, my dogs go to the door and calmly sit when they see the leash as they know that if they're wild, NOTHING fun is going to happen.

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

LauraV wrote:
headtrip_honey wrote:Anyway to calm this? I've thought of snapping the leash on her and just letting her run around with it on all day, so she gets desensitized to it?
This might work, or you could do the opposite. Bring out the leash and just hold it until she calms down. Make her know that she doesn't get to go anywhere unless she is calm.
Yeah....we've tried this....I think the most we waited was 30 minutes. She didn't show signs of calming. We will try again, though.

It sucks, because after a few minutes, she starts to get Bree riled up.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

headtrip_honey wrote:[.I think the most we waited was 30 minutes.
Whew, I thought Lola was bad! You might try handling the leash all throughout the day even when you are not going for a walk. Just pick it up and put it on your lap when you watch TV or have dinner or just walk by it... Eventually she'll get the idea that you holding a leash might not mean a walk is coming. Or you could try all three ideas.

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

adele wrote:
headtrip_honey wrote:I think the most we waited was 30 minutes.
Whew, I thought Lola was bad! You might try handling the leash all throughout the day even when you are not going for a walk. Just pick it up and put it on your lap when you watch TV or have dinner or just walk by it... Eventually she'll get the idea that you holding a leash might not mean a walk is coming. Or you could try all three ideas.
Yes....she gets quite fixated on that leash.

I'm thinking we might have to do both....desensitize her to it/make her learn that she only gets walks when calm.

I've taught Bree that she only gets love when I walk in the door if she's sitting, and Lizzy is starting to catch on to that as well....she manages to park her butt for at least a few seconds before going berserk again.

So I have hope that she can learn to sit calmly for leashing up as well! Baby steps....
-Emily
Image Image Image Image

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

Okay, I need more help with walking Liz, guys.

Liz is a VERY strong puller. Although she is the smaller of our two (47 lbs to Bree's 59 lbs...I know, I know...Bree's on a diet and an exercise regime), you would think you had a Rottweiler at the end of your leash.

I recently bought a gentle leader face harness on the advice of my vet after talking over the other methods we'd used to no avail (choke collar, regular collar, harness...).

However, she does not like the feel of it on her face and tries to push the nose part off the moment I put it on her.

Any ideas on getting her used to this? I'm not going to try walking her with it until she can tolerate it.

My thoughts were to let her wear it for a few minutes each day, and give her nice treats to distract her from the annoying nose strap. Good plan? Anyone? Beuler?
-Emily
Image Image Image Image

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Darn it! Catharina had posted a link to some great training videos and one of them dealt with how to use clicker training to get the dog to accept a gentle leader. (http://abrionline.org/videos.php) the link doesn't work anymore :cry: :roll: So, i saw the video and can try to describe what they did but I'm terrible at clicker training and don't use a gentle leader so... The video made it look really easy...

So first you get the dog to touch the gentle leader (click and treat) do that a few times and eventually the dog gets excited when it sees the collar... then once you've reached that point you start feeding the treats through the nosepiece, click and treat (repeat) ... until he's poking his nose in there as soon as its held up, then do up the neck piece (click & treat repeat) Essentially you have to create a positive association with the thing. Also, you have the nose piece loose, right. It should be loose enough to reach (but not go over) the end of his nose while the neck piece is high high up on the neck and one finger tight. That's all I learned from the video. It'd be better if you could watch it yourself.

I've also heard of something called a "softie" which is essentially a gentle leader with padding on the nose piece. Have you thought about maybe sewing a thick piece of fleece or that fake sheepskin onto the nose piece?

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

adele wrote:Darn it! Catharina had posted a link to some great training videos and one of them dealt with how to use clicker training to get the dog to accept a gentle leader. (http://abrionline.org/videos.php) the link doesn't work anymore :cry: :roll: So, i saw the video and can try to describe what they did but I'm terrible at clicker training and don't use a gentle leader so... The video made it look really easy...

So first you get the dog to touch the gentle leader (click and treat) do that a few times and eventually the dog gets excited when it sees the collar... then once you've reached that point you start feeding the treats through the nosepiece, click and treat (repeat) ... until he's poking his nose in there as soon as its held up, then do up the neck piece (click & treat repeat) Essentially you have to create a positive association with the thing. Also, you have the nose piece loose, right. It should be loose enough to reach (but not go over) the end of his nose while the neck piece is high high up on the neck and one finger tight. That's all I learned from the video. It'd be better if you could watch it yourself.

I've also heard of something called a "softie" which is essentially a gentle leader with padding on the nose piece. Have you thought about maybe sewing a thick piece of fleece or that fake sheepskin onto the nose piece?
I actually do not have a clicker, although I'm sure it would be useful with Liz. Bree is super easy to train, she gets it within the first couples tries (she got "roll over" on the second try...I was astounded. We're still working on taking her all the way around, but she at least flops onto her back!), but Liz....sheesh. She gets SO FREAKING FIXATED on the treat. Her eyes dilate so they're just pools of black. Her body goes rigid (literally...I try teaching her shake, and when I go down to grab her paw, I can feel her joints locked up).

So I wonder if a clicker would help to *snap* her out of it? I dunno.

As for the nose piece, it's not too tight at all. In fact, the first time I put it on her, she was able to push it off, so it was a little too loose. I tightened it a bit, but it's still quite movable, she just can't get it off, which annoys the ever loving h-e-double hockey sticks out of her.

I will try what you advised though, without the clicker for now, since I don't have one. (I think they sell them at our pet food store...will check next time we go.
-Emily
Image Image Image Image

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

You don't *need* a clicker to clicker train. You can use a marker word like "yes" that you can say quickly and consistently. To teach the marker word, you say "yes" and treat, "yes" and treat. It won't take long to build us a positive association. That said, a clicker is a nice consistent unique sound so sometimes its easier to train.

Buckley still hates his gentle leader but he knows it means fun stuff is coming so he'll tolerate it. I would try the headcollar for a really really really fun walk like in the woods or to a pond or something, not just around the neighborhood. The dog will be so distracted by Really Good Things they will forget the headcollar.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

We've had a Gentle Leader for Maggie for years now, and she NEVER got used to it! Hates it to this day! And while yes, she walks a lot better with it on...she is living proof that a dog CAN walk in one direction while her head is turned in another direction! :lol:

Jessica
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by Jessica »

Lily wears the Gentle Leader for walks. When I put it on her initially she tries to pull the nose part off but once we get walking she forgets about it. If we stop in some grass though she'll rub her face all in the grass to try to pull it off. I think the fun of the walk outweighs the annoyance of the Leader, at least that's how my two goofies feel about it. Eli will sit nicely now and wait for you to put it on him :mrgreen:
Image Image
Eli: rescued 12/20/07........Lily: rescued 05/16/09

"If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
~Roger Caras

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Hi, I have a good hand out for how to get dogs used to a head halter:

http://www.houstonspca.org/site/DocServ ... ?docID=386

I've tried a head halter with my Daisy and it just wasn't for her - not to say that it doesn't work, but ....she's just too sensitive for it. Now I have friends that have a lot of success with it and always walk their dogs without incident.

If the head halter doesn't work for you - I would try the Weiss Walkie. http://www.emilyweiss.com. This works a little better for Daisy because even if she tries to lunge - it doesn't hurt her neck - it just tightens around the barrel.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

headtrip_honey
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by headtrip_honey »

Already tried that, actually. Liz pulled right through it. :roll:
-Emily
Image Image Image Image

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

That's too bad. Let me know what ends up working for you - reason being, I work with my local shelter and we get a lot of "pullers". What a surprise???? So, since you have a strong puller, if you find something that works better, I'd love to know so that I can pass it along.

Rose

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F