Won't Walk

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

tomryan27
Puppy

Won't Walk

Post by tomryan27 »

Hi All!
Wheeler is going to be 12 weeks on Thursday, and we've had him for a week. We absolutely love him, he's cuter than I ever imagined, etc.. etc... No problems so far with housebreaking, etc... A bit of nutty behaviour, mouthing, etc... but this message board has really calmed me down from thinking that I'm doing a bad job!

My question is this - I am dedicated to giving him as much exercise as will make him happy - we work during the day, so I've been getting up at 6, prepared for an hour's walk - and trying to get him out for another hour in the evening. He loves when he can run around in a big field, or a fenced backyard (loves our friends and their dog - they tired each other out) but he is very hesitant to go for walks down the street - Stops and sits stubbornly, won't come when I call, tried dragging a bit, but doesn't work and I hate doing it - am I trying to walk him too much for a little guy? Should I stick to yard exercise and gradually work him up to a bigger walk?

Any advice would be so great - thanks guys!

Muddy Creek Britts
Zinger
Zinger

Re: Won't Walk

Post by Muddy Creek Britts »

Yes, I'd say hour walks are way too much for a 12-week old pup. Twenty minutes tops would be my suggestion. If he's sitting, he's tired. If twenty minutes still gets sitting, cut back even more. The yard is great because he can run and stop as he feels he needs to.

Welcome to the board.
Brian
Muddy Creek Britts
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~~Henry David Thoreau

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by adele »

Brian is right, one hour is too long for a little guy. Do you think he's timid or just tired? Lola didn't like to walk when she was tiny. I think she was content in the safety of her yard. Don't worry it'll come and you'll long for the old days :roll: :lol: Take him out of the yard and let him sniff around as he likes, maybe just take him a little way then play with him, then take him home. Maybe drive to novel places now and then so he gets exposed to lots of habitats, sounds and smells and play with him. Soon he'll be thrilled to get out of the yard. With my last puppy I used to carry her to the park and she'd be happy to walk home.

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Annabelle »

Jack didn't like to walk too much at first - or rather he didn't get the concept.
He like to sit down whenever he saw something new and observe it, which meant about every 20 feet.

My mom figured out that if he had a stick in his mouth, he forgot to sit down and kept going. Maybe you could try that? After a few walks like that he dropped the sit down during walks. Of course after he learned how to be out in front of us it took us 1 year or more to get him walking back at our side where we wanted him to be :lol: Enjoy the lagging behind while you can!

adleblanc
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by adleblanc »

PJ hates to walk on leash especially when the entire family isn't walking. PJ will just put on the brakes as if to say no thanks. When off leash he loves to run around. Hopefully I can pick up some tips as my last dog was the same way.

Andrea
Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes. ~Lewis Grizzard