Chewing Elect. Cords!!!!

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Ron
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Chewing Elect. Cords!!!!

Post by Ron »

OH Wise people on here!!!!. I need away to stop our little Molly Ann chewing up elect cords in the house :shock: :evil: .Molly Ann has chewed up a lamp cord , and couple other things ,BUT NOT PLUGED IN!!!. We are just waiting for the day she chews on a live one!!! :oops: :oops: The lamp cord is only hanging on buy a couple wires!!! The other things were chewed up in small pices!!! :roll: :roll:

Lisa

Re: Chewing Elect. Cords!!!!

Post by Lisa »

Best advice I have is spray the cords with bitter apple and keep them out of reach of the dog. The only dog I had here that chewed electrical cords was a foster. He tried to chew a lamp cord when the lamp was plugged in and on...it shocked him, he yelped, and never touched another cord again.

The pup I'm fostering now did get my laptop power cord and put some teeth marks in it. So, now I make sure the cord is out of his reach, keep an eye on him, and tell him no if he even looks at the cord.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Sooz
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Post by Sooz »

I do remember hearing about a Britt that chewed a cord and was electrocuted. I think in your pup's case, Ron, wise use of a shock collar would be prudent -- and save Molly Ann's life.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." – Unknown

Canned Ice
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by Canned Ice »

Second on the bitter apple. Worked great for my housemate's chewer. When I had a rabbit, what worked was a cayenne pepper and water mixture sprayed on the cords. You have to reapply every so often but the spiciness really stopped the chewing.
Buckley - I own this mountain.

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Bitter Apple was the first thought that popped into my head too. Or, depending on where the cords are and how many, could you run them through a piece of tubing like PVC or something?
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

StFrost
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by StFrost »

Concerning Bitter Apple, use the paste, it lasts way longer than the spray!

enginerd
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by enginerd »

Ripley goes back for more of bitter apple (and cayenne pepper and tabasco and well... she'll eat anything except for most brands of kibble), so cable chewing gave me an excuse to let my inner organization nut go crazy. Every cable is attached to something now and the cables either have cable covers over them or are hidden underneath/behind something. I attached power strips to the end tables in the living room so cables could be wound up and hidden underneath or behind the tables and then the single power strip cord could be covered or run underneath the couch/loveseat out of easy range. The organization nut in me LOVES cable covers and most of our baseboards now have covers used to run cables(it saved the phone cord that runs by Ripleys bed... over a year and not a single bite mark). They are cheap and look nice/reduce clutter too (dog hair doesn't get tangled up in the cables any more either). Of course a dog could still get to the cables with enough time, but it gives you a good warning system that they are up to something.

I suppose you could think of the neatness as a positive side effect of a curious pup. Before Ripley our countertops were never so clear... now everything below 4.5' has to be Ripley proof :) We're down to the top of the fridge and the top of a pantry cabinet as the only places left for clutter. Now if only I could make her a shoe chewer so that someone I know couldn't leave those lying around :twisted:
Carlyn

Chuck and Ripley... we will not be still

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

I dog sat for a neighbor. Their dog had a history of chewing cords. She was confined to a rather cool part of the house and had a space heater to compensate. I coated the cord with plain ol' yellow mustard to be safe--I think the scent drover her off. A bit messy, but worth it.
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

Bill C.
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by Bill C. »

So...you're saying that screaming "NOOOOOOO!!!!" isn't one of the generally preferred methods?

huh.

:?
Enjoy every sandwich
Warren Zevon

Bill and the dogges

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion

Post by Cindy »

Bill C. wrote:So...you're saying that screaming "NOOOOOOO!!!!" isn't one of the generally preferred methods?
Only if your dog likes to listen!!! :lol: :lol:
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla

MaggieRocks
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by MaggieRocks »

Bill C. wrote:So...you're saying that screaming "NOOOOOOO!!!!" isn't one of the generally preferred methods?

huh.

:?
If Maggie has something in her mouth that she shouldn't have in her mouth...screaming "NOOOOOOO" makes her eat it faster!!! :roll: