My Out of Control Brittany

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

Karen_P
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion
Posts: 1792
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 5:43 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by Karen_P »

The best way to start teaching her manners in the house is to first try to tire her out outside, then bring her in on a leash and keep her with you. Work on sit, down and stay inside with lots of praise, and give her an opportunity to do something unacceptable, like jump on the furniture, so you can correct her (a little tug of the leash and a stern "No!" is all it usually takes). Since she's not used to being loose in the house, I'd take it slowly, getting her used to the rules room by room, and working in plenty of obedience commands she knows so that you have reason to praise her frequently, and make sure you end each house manners session on a good note (don't yell at her, correct her and then shove her in her crate or out the door).

Also, you'll find that once she's used to be indoors, most Brittanys are calm and quiet when their people are quiet, and they're up and moving when their people are up and moving. Bring her inside, keep her on a leash, and sit down to read a book to your ds. Eventually she'll lay down and relax because you are relaxed.
Image
Home of DC Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory
http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com

Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:02 pm

Post by Scarlett »

Thanks! I didn't even think of the using the leash indoors....and that explains her wild behavior....she feeds off my wild 5 year old. So basically, I need to wear them BOTH out first........:)

Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:02 pm

Re:

Post by Scarlett »

Karen_P wrote:Scarlett, I'm going to say the first thing that came to mind reading your post:

Make your girl a house dog so she gets to spend more time with her people, teach her to play fetch so you have a fun way to burn off her energy, crate her when you can't watch her and get her to a really good obedience class. You must exercise her mind as well as her body and obedience and possibly agility would be wonderful for this. Digging is a really fun activity for a bored Brittany, and even when caught in the act, it's a very hard behavior to change. You can try putting a pile of her poo in the holes when you fill them in...I've heard it can be a deterrent. Do obedience drills with her 3-4 times a day for 15 minutes at a time. Work on sit-stays...they take a tremendous amount of concentration on the dog's part and tires them out. Teach her tricks like shake and balancing a biscuit on her nose.

She's a little young to be exhibiting dominant behavior, so my guess is the humping is a result of excitment. If she gets to spend more time around people, the humping may let up a bit, and gentle corrections will let her know you don't appreciate the behavior.

Do this, and you'll have the most wonderful and loyal family companion you could imagine.

I'm feeling nostalgic tonight and came looking for this post. 7 years ago I came here looking for help with my 'out of control Brittany' and I listened (eventually) . You were right--once we made her a house dog her behavior improved dramatically. She is a joy.

My dh recently took a job 2 hours away and ds11 and I have been traveling to be with him during the week some. Two weeks in a row we were gone for 2 days. I had friends checking on her 2 or three times a day...but both weeks by the second day she had vomited all over the house and/or had accidents. And she NEVER has accidents. Never. Well, she is 8 years old...but I still felt it was related to not being with us. So the next week we took her with us to the small apt my dh has. She was perfect. Perfect on the 2 hour drive and perfect in an apt.

I took her to the vet for her shots and discussed the uncharacteristic vomiting/accidents...he said she clearly (from his observation) has a very needy personality and was probably suffering from seperation anxiety when away from us/people.

So I have resigned myself to the reality that she can't be left alone for more than a long day. If I have to leave town and can't take her I will board her...she does fabulous with the boarder it seems.

Anyone else have issues with their Brittany's as they age?

I asked the vet how long Brittany's live and he said brightly 'oh 10 years!' My heart sank as I thought of only having her 2 more years. There is a spot on her lip that the vet feels is melanoma and he wants it off....ds11 sobbed when I told him because he is seeing the writing on the wall.

I love my Maggie. Thank you to all of you who encouraged me to make her an inside pet.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police
Posts: 6853
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Montana

Re: My Out of Control Brittany

Post by Barb Wright »

Welcome back! Been a few years and glad to hear you're making it down the trail okay.

Brittanys live 15-17 years, serious health issues notwithstanding. Your vet was just throwing out a number, no basis of knowledge involved. Also, the lump should be aspirated to see if it is just a benign fatty tumor (lipoma). Very common "lump" and easily diagnosed if the vet will just put a little effort out besides "feeling". Aspirating means using a needle to extract some internal material from the lump and looking at it under a microscope to determine if the cells are just fat cells. Also, lipomas are rarely removed unless they have become so large as to interfere with movement or body function.

Most Britts love to be with their "pack" and being left alone, especially if there is not at least another dog, does depress them and often stress them, thus leading to "misbehaving". If she boards well that means she just wants somebody around and not be left alone. Take her with you or board her, problems solved :wink:

Catch us up on what else has been happening....happy your dropped by :)
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

Cindy
Dual Champion
Dual Champion
Posts: 5785
Joined: Mon May 10, 2004 4:26 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: My Out of Control Brittany

Post by Cindy »

Agree with everything that Barb said! I've had several dogs with lots of lumps and bumps and only once was it anything more than a cyst or lipoma. And the bad one happened to Jessie at age 14 and she still lived another year. So don''t expect the worst. Afterall, this "diagnosis" came from someone who thinks Britts only live to be 10. Heck, at 10 you're lucky if they are just starting to slow down a little!!

Welcome back!
Kayla RIP 10/2/15, Pippa, and Layla
Image

Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:02 pm

Re: My Out of Control Brittany

Post by Scarlett »

Thank you! I had not had time to research that 'ten year ' comment--15 years sounds MUCH better. I didn't even tell my ds11 what the vet said about that. He is already so worried that she will die--

She does have one of those 'lumps' and he did aspirate i--said it was nothing to worry about and just a fatty tumor. The place on her lip is much different. It is black and hangs, more like a mole. He is concerned that it is so close to he lymph nodes that it could spread if it is indeed melanoma. He didn't push having it biopsied...mainly just getting it off. He is a new vet---I liked him very much but he looks like he is about 12! (me getting old? shrug)

I guess I can be glad her seperation anxiety isn't from being away from ME specifically....she does seem to do fine as long as she is with anyone. ( I do notice little kids getting on her nerves more lately)

The rest of my life is good! I divorced my ds's father and I am remarried. Remember the XH was mean to Maggie? He is much better now, he even lets ds take Maggie with him for the weekend when he goes there for visititation. In fact, he was watching Maggie when we went out of town one of those weeks. It was HIS house that she pooped all over on the second day. :shock: He said, 'um, don't want to watch her while you go out of town if I have to be at work anymore.' :mrgreen:

Ds11 is doing well. He has 2 step brothers that visit every other weekend. So Maggie and I are surrounded by lots of testosterone!
Barb Wright wrote:Welcome back! Been a few years and glad to hear you're making it down the trail okay.

Brittanys live 15-17 years, serious health issues notwithstanding. Your vet was just throwing out a number, no basis of knowledge involved. Also, the lump should be aspirated to see if it is just a benign fatty tumor (lipoma). Very common "lump" and easily diagnosed if the vet will just put a little effort out besides "feeling". Aspirating means using a needle to extract some internal material from the lump and looking at it under a microscope to determine if the cells are just fat cells. Also, lipomas are rarely removed unless they have become so large as to interfere with movement or body function.

Most Britts love to be with their "pack" and being left alone, especially if there is not at least another dog, does depress them and often stress them, thus leading to "misbehaving". If she boards well that means she just wants somebody around and not be left alone. Take her with you or board her, problems solved :wink:

Catch us up on what else has been happening....happy your dropped by :)

Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:02 pm

Re: My Out of Control Brittany

Post by Scarlett »

Cindy wrote: Afterall, this "diagnosis" came from someone who thinks Britts only live to be 10. Heck, at 10 you're lucky if they are just starting to slow down a little!!
Very true! She is still very active!.

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police
Posts: 6853
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Montana

Re: My Out of Control Brittany

Post by Barb Wright »

Scarlett wrote:... The place on her lip is much different. It is black and hangs, more like a mole. He is concerned that it is so close to he lymph nodes that it could spread if it is indeed melanoma. He didn't push having it biopsied...mainly just getting it off.
Yes, this is different, and could be serious. Cassie had something similar years ago, it was removed and biopsied and was a hermangiosarcoma, very serious cancer growth. I'd have the lump on Maggie removed ASAP and biopsied afterwards to know for sure what you were dealing with. Cassie has never had a recurrence, but I still after all these years keep a look out for black mole-like growths.

P.S. Edited to add: I first read the lump as on her Hip rather than the Lip. Lipomas are almost always on the body and not the head....my mis-read. Anyway, I'd get it removed. Cassie had quite a few years ago Melanomas removed from her eyelids, two separate operations about 3 years apart and they were successful in removing all the bad material. No recurrences since 2005.
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

kat
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion
Posts: 2374
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:50 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: My Out of Control Brittany

Post by kat »

Welcome back Scarlett, SO glad to hear everyone's lives are happier now! We had a foster a little over a year ago who came in with a small melanoma on his lip, the vet took it off, the dog is still happily living with his new family with no complications. I think the key is just getting Maggie in and having it removed asap, while it's a small thing. I'm just so glad things are going so well and she is making you so happy. Don't tell your xh, but a little part of me said hahaha when you said it was his house!!
Image
My mom is a Kat - How cool is that?

Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:02 pm

Re: My Out of Control Brittany

Post by Scarlett »

kat wrote:Welcome back Scarlett, SO glad to hear everyone's lives are happier now! We had a foster a little over a year ago who came in with a small melanoma on his lip, the vet took it off, the dog is still happily living with his new family with no complications. I think the key is just getting Maggie in and having it removed asap, while it's a small thing. I'm just so glad things are going so well and she is making you so happy. Don't tell your xh, but a little part of me said hahaha when you said it was his house!!
Hee Hee. It amused me too. :wink:

Lisa
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4031
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:42 pm
Location: McKinney, TX

Re: My Out of Control Brittany

Post by Lisa »

Scarlett wrote:I asked the vet how long Brittany's live and he said brightly 'oh 10 years!' My heart sank as I thought of only having her 2 more years.
Oh goodness - at 10, Britts are just starting to settle down! I just recently had to let my 16 year old Brittany go. I've got an 11 year old mix sitting here pawing at me to play with her while I type. And, Buster, at almost 8 years old is finally starting to act mature! Barring accidents or serious medical issues (like cancer), Britts should easily give you a good 15 years. Ignore your vet on that 10 year comment...Britts are a fairly healthy, long lived breed. I can't even tell you how many "senior" fosters I've had that were 10+ years and acted like young dogs still and lived several more years in new homes.
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

Scarlett
Good Citizen
Good Citizen
Posts: 98
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:02 pm

Re: My Out of Control Brittany

Post by Scarlett »

Thank you! I told my ds11 this tonight. He feels better.

She really shows no sign of slowing down. Still plays like a pup.

adele
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion
Posts: 2726
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:12 am

Re: My Out of Control Brittany

Post by adele »

Hi Scarlet. I remember your original posts. I did wonder how it was going with you from time to time. So glad to hear everything turned out great for you and Maggie. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes with Maggies lip.
Image

Post Reply