Digging Like Crazy, Help!

Discussion of behavior issues, training and solutions here....

Moderators: Barb Wright, Lisa

lbmartin
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Digging Like Crazy, Help!

Post by lbmartin »

Again I love my girls but don't know what else to try. The girls are digging along my very large driveway so deep I can see the re bar. Holes in the yard I can deal with but there going to ruin my driveway (that's what the hubby says) if water gets under the concrete it's going to eventually start to crack. I've tried sprays supposedly to stop unwanted behavior be stinky smells, correcting with a stern no which works until I turn my back for any amount of time, and giving them something else to do. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Oh and we tried the chicken wire along the the ac pad last summer and our oldest Katie removed it do dig!
Katie Lili Bell (2yrs.) & Gemma Hartly (6mos.)
March 2011

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Re: Digging Like Crazy, Help!

Post by rtropeano »

What about making an area for them to dig in. Do you have a spot in your yard where you can do that safely. Maybe you can bury bones and fun stuff in there and then they would go there to dig instead of places you don't want them to get into.

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

Annabelle
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by Annabelle »

I can sometime stem the digging, but my method has to be repeated after any mositure and I don't have a driveway at stake.

BIG bottle of tobasco sauce. Go out before they do, fix holes and then sprinkle with tobasco (generously). Or just sprinkly on the existing holes.
My dogs at least really don't like the tobasco and now associated the smell with very bad hot feeling in their mouth.

They still dig, but it is now only in one spot and it is at the base of a bush my husband want to remove eventually anyhow :D

enginerd
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by enginerd »

rtropeano wrote:What about making an area for them to dig in.
Does this work? We recently removed an old swingset and were surprised by about a 5x6 area 6" deep in sand. We were thinking about converting it to a puppy sand box to see if we could limit the digging (our case isn't as severe as yours, Ripley will generally just do a quick dig when she is bored and wan't your attention... then you can see a switch flip and she gets look of pure joy as she turns into a canine dirt mover whose only goal is to just keep digging).
Annabelle wrote:BIG bottle of tobasco sauce. Go out before they do, fix holes and then sprinkle with tobasco (generously). Or just sprinkly on the existing holes.
My dogs at least really don't like the tobasco and now associated the smell with very bad hot feeling in their mouth.
Make sure they don't like tobasco sauce first, we tried that with Ripley on chewing stuff indoors. Turns out that she LOVES the stuff :shock:
Carlyn

Chuck and Ripley... we will not be still

janet909
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by janet909 »

enginerd wrote:Turns out that she LOVES the stuff :shock:
Oh, that's just too funny......I just got a visual of my dogs loving tabasco and I just can't see it. It amazes me that Ripley would love such a thing. These dogs really try to keep us on our toes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

enginerd
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by enginerd »

She also likes bitter apple and cayenne pepper, however she will not touch green beans or carrots (actually those are the only things we've found that she won't eat so far).

I am curious to see if anyone has had any luck with a designated digging area. I get the concept (good things happen when I dig here and only here), but since the act of digging is also its own reward... I'm not sure how effective the extra reward will be. Especially if they are digging for a reason (chipmunks and cicadas are also poplular targets in our yard). I just hate to build a sand pit (otherwise the clay we have makes a horrible mess) for it to not do any good.
lbmartin wrote:Oh and we tried the chicken wire along the the ac pad last summer and our oldest Katie removed it do dig!
That's impressive :) We've had good luck with using a 3-4 inches of rock as a border on areas where we don't want them to dig adjacent to things. I tried larger rocks too, thinking that would be hard to move, but they managed to either roll those out of the way or dig around them. But a few inches of the golfball size rocks are either too uncomfortable to dig through or just aren't worth the effort. Rocks on top of the wire might help keep them from pulling it up as well.
Carlyn

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

enginerd wrote:She also likes bitter apple and cayenne pepper
Yup, Buster does too. The ONLY thing I've found that Buster won't eat are whole pepperoncini peppers, and I think that was more to do with the skin just being tough than not liking them. He will really eat anything that doesn't eat him first. He loves spicy stuff, sour stuff, bitter, sweet, I think maybe his tastebuds just don't work!
enginerd wrote:I am curious to see if anyone has had any luck with a designated digging area. I get the concept (good things happen when I dig here and only here), but since the act of digging is also its own reward... I'm not sure how effective the extra reward will be. Especially if they are digging for a reason (chipmunks and cicadas are also poplular targets in our yard). I just hate to build a sand pit (otherwise the clay we have makes a horrible mess) for it to not do any good.
It really depends on why they are digging. If they are digging just because they like to dig, then yes, the designated spot does work. If they are digging for critters, then not so much. I have used this method. At my old house, Britty just liked to dig, so I left a bit of the yard unfinished on the side in the back, and just boxed it in with landscape timbers and added a couple bags of sand and fill dirt (she prefers to dig in dirt). If I caught her digging anywhere other than her spot, she was told no and taken to her spot. If she was digging in her spot, she was told what a good girl she was. I didn't have to bury treats or toys or anything...just getting to dig was a reward. She figured out that if she dug in her spot, she could do it all she wanted, but anywhere else and she'd get in trouble. So, she started just digging in her spot. At my house now, she doesn't seem to care about digging, so I haven't made a spot for her (she's also 10 years old now, so maybe she just out grew it).
Image Image RIP Madi
Charm-future agility champ
Britty- RIP March 27, 2014
Buster-CGC, OA, OF, NAJ, APK, APJ, APG, APR, PD

michellep
Good Citizen
Good Citizen

Post by michellep »

Archie likes vinegar :roll: and I have 3 massive holes in my yard. He is a serious digger! Only thing I have done is just try to redirect him...he likes to drop his tennis ball into a huge hole and then he tries to get it to flip up and out with more digging, which a course it doesn't and only makes the hole bigger.

lbmartin
Puppy Kindergarten Grad
Puppy Kindergarten Grad

Post by lbmartin »

Thanks everyone for the advise. I can always count on this site for helpful and useful information. My Katie likes Cayenne Pepper too; we read it could be a detour-ant but she just licked that right up! Sour things they like too such as grapes, lemons, and oranges. For now we have laid down some 2x4's along the driveway which seems to be working for now anyway!
Katie Lili Bell (2yrs.) & Gemma Hartly (6mos.)
March 2011

Barb Wright
The Grammar Police
The Grammar Police

Post by Barb Wright »

:lol: :lol: Consider all this a challenge....we are supposed to be smarter than our dogs aren't we???? Hope the 2 X 4's work as you might have to think about cement next :P :P

This is a classic example of VEEEEEERY smart dog(s) thinking of fun (as in DOG FUN) things to do. Dog fun involves problem solving, exercise, and possibly (the ultimate reward) attention. Get your imagination hat on.....the gauntlet is down :P :P
RIP Sweet Cassie 4/98 - 3/13

holisticmom
Senior Hunter
Senior Hunter

Post by holisticmom »

If it makes anyone feel better, Oakley has developed a taste for Bitter Apple and original Listerine. :shock:
The point of [dog guardianship] is to open oneself to becoming partly a dog...Edward Hoagland

rtropeano
Field Trial Champion
Field Trial Champion

Post by rtropeano »

Daisy has no problem licking tabasco off the door she almost chewed through. Had to put plexi glass over that and will be buying another piece for the bottom part of the door. You're in good company :cry:

"I didn't do nothing, Mama!"
Daisy Mae, CGC, TDI, CTL1-F

enginerd
Junior Hunter
Junior Hunter

Post by enginerd »

Based on the advice, we built a sand pit this weekend for the pups and hid some treats to see if we could get them to dig in the pit (Ripley has shown a preference for sand, plus we inherited about 400 lbs of it when we discovered it under an old playset we torn down). So we spent the morning putting a small wall up and a few inches of rocks between the clay and sand (to help prevent the resulting unnaturally orange puppy). Then we grabbed the camera and waited for the show... they delicately pawed around and dug out all of the treats then ignored it :? A few hours later our neighbors brought their two dogs by and during the middle of the four dog zoom caravan, Ripley hopped in the pit and went crazy digging 8) Chuck jumped in and helped out too. So I think there might be something to this thing (as long as cameras aren't present) :lol: Now the next problem... how to keep the sand in the designated area. Ripley can cover some serious distance and height once she get's going!
Carlyn